QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Would you replace these tyres?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Would you replace these tyres? Reply with quote

middle bit is at 3mm, inner and outer edge seriously worn although not yet down to the cords.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mutlley

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure!!
Philp

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaseplan won't, those are the fronts on my wifes 08 X-Trail, just been to twitfit who are their appointed supplier and they say as the middle is still legal leaseplan won't replace them unless the cords are showing on the edges.  Shocking eh!  Even the depot manager said "there's a difference between whats legal and whats safe"  They've done about 26.5K miles.

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have a row about that Phil,any portion of the tyre thats down to the wear bar needs to be replaced,I think if you asked the boys in blue there opinion Im certain it would be Muttleys answer....dont know where you go from here to get it sorted tho... Embarassed
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on a X trail but there is a guide for 4x4 tyre wear and replacement  to do with the backs being larger than the front in terms of tread left thus causing wind up in the tranny if its a permenant 4x4 , think its by pirelli and I bet the tyre place would quote it at you if you were a private customer who just wanted two fronts .
Philp

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its part time 4x4 with 2wd being front wheel drive.  It must have a centre diff as you can happily drive it in 4wd on the road although theres a locked setting that is off road only, it torque senses I think in auto 4x4 mode and sends drive to the rear if they start slipping like the freelander does.  The locked setting sends it equally to all 4.  I sense a sidewall puncture coming on on one and obviously it being a 4x4 you need to replace them in axle pairs........

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
Its part time 4x4 with 2wd being front wheel drive.  It must have a centre diff as you can happily drive it in 4wd on the road although theres a locked setting that is off road only, it torque senses I think in auto 4x4 mode and sends drive to the rear if they start slipping like the freelander does.  The locked setting sends it equally to all 4.  I sense a sidewall puncture coming on on one and obviously it being a 4x4 you need to replace them in axle pairs........

thumbleft
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is unreal! they are obviously illegal and unsafe and should of been replaced ages ago typical twitfit attitude really, i wouldn't let them look a wheelbarrow tyre personally
shinz

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in NZ, tyres must have 1.5mm tread across 75% of the width & the whole of the circumference. Yours look as though they're not up to this & would therfore be a WOF (bit like your MOT) failure. You need to go higher up or maybe threaten them with a consumer affairs programme etc. Someones cage needs a freaking good rattling.  Mad  Rolling Eyes
Steve
Philp

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not they are still legal, here its 1.6mm across the middle 75% of the tyre and that actually meets that.  To be fair its not kwikfit but leaseplan that won't authorise replacement.  They are as tight as a gnats chuff.  The kwikfit guy said on a non company car he'd be suggesting replacement.  Someone on another forum was telling me his parents have an x-trail and their fronts wore in exactly the same way so the pressure has been right.  It does understeer if you press on and the power/torque is almost too much for the chassis tbh.  This is the bog standard 150hp but they do a 173hp version and I can guarantee you'd be needing to drive it around with the 4wd system set to auto or you'd never get moving in the wet.

gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get a lot of tyres on BMW's that wear like that tbh, the edges of the tyres are cut to a different depth, quite often 2mm less then the centre. This means come mot minimum standards it's not measurable tread so unless it's showing cords it's not taken into account!!!!! Tyres now are a bit of a grey area with the way they're designed. I'd honestly replace them on your motor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: