QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Its Monday Morning - Wont Start !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:41    Post subject: Its Monday Morning - Wont Start ! Reply with quote

Grr,

Goddamn..... Jumped in the Trooper today after a fautless weekend of Running, and the darn thing won't start.
Just Cranks over and over and Over.

Tried locking / immobilser on / off and still no change.

The Dash lights are as normal (except my intermittant Glow Plug light posted elsewhere) - any Ideas ?

it is a 2001 3.0DT, 70,000miles on the clock (so young !  Very Happy )

I have called out Mr AA, seeing as I have paid for him for so many years and not called him since I was a Student (I knew all of them by first name bac then with my Fiesta I had  Very Happy)

So, Ideas?  I think Electronic Gremlins?
If so really It can only go to an Isuzu dealer right ? So I guess I will get towed to Middlesbrough Derek Slack by AA (or as a 4x4 it has to be a low loader doesn't it ?)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an observation, the Glow Plug light does not flick on AT ALL - inportant?
There is oil in it, and no obvious wires loose.

Brake lights work (re: another comment on the fuse)

I re-iterate, all was well yesterday up to & including parking up.
What can killl it like this out of the blue ?
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the strainer/pick-up for the HP oil pump. An extra 2 litres of oil in the sump would prove that (if it then starts, that is!).

Could be the ORPS, but if you haven't been having symptoms up to now then unlikely. Removing the middle wire (white one gone yellow) from the injection multiplug next to the dipstick/filler tube would prove that.

Could be the throttle jammed shut, but if you haven't had a flashing "Engine Check" lamp that's maybe unlikely.

Oh, yes...........  are your brake lights working?? If the fuse has gone your ECU will not be powered!! (Go figure!!).
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topvaux wrote:
Could be the strainer/pick-up for the HP oil pump. An extra 2 litres of oil in the sump would prove that (if it then starts, that is!).

Could be the ORPS, but if you haven't been having symptoms up to now then unlikely. Removing the middle wire (white one gone yellow) from the injection multiplug next to the dipstick/filler tube would prove that.

Could be the throttle jammed shut, but if you haven't had a flashing "Engine Check" lamp that's maybe unlikely.

Oh, yes...........  are your brake lights working?? If the fuse has gone your ECU will not be powered!! (Go figure!!).

Thanks - a couple of the obvious ones I thought of too -

I have the oil here- so could gie that a whirl - then got to figure on getting it out again ! If the strainer had come of - would it of Run yesterday ?  I would think so ??
Is the Strainer a recall thing or am I confused? there are no outstanding recalls on my Trooper.

ORPS -better bloody not be ! had it changed 2 months ago - and like you say no other symptoms

No flashing Engine Check Light. only the ABS and Brake lights stay lit on the Dash when Cranking.
Brake Lights are OK (see above)
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

aduncan wrote:

I have the oil here- so could gie that a whirl - then got to figure on getting it out again ! If the strainer had come of - would it of Run yesterday ?  I would think so ??
Is the Strainer a recall thing or am I confused? there are no outstanding recalls on my Trooper.

ORPS -better bloody not be ! had it changed 2 months ago - and like you say no other symptoms

No flashing Engine Check Light. only the ABS and Brake lights stay lit on the Dash when Cranking.
Brake Lights are OK (see above)

I ran mine for a couple of thousand miles or so with the oil level high before I got round to having my strainer changed! Embarassed  Wink  You're OK so long as you keep an eye on it.

The recall on strainers was only to do with the pitch of the gauze - nothing to do with them cracking! You'd have to pay for that, but the good news is it's only an hour's work (and the part is a bit cheaper from Vauxhall - but if it's off to your Isuzu dealer you might not insist on that option!?

I think you can probably discount ORPS and brake light fuse then.............
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr AA has called quits on it.

looks like a trip on a low loader to a dealer now !

he is going to box it back up and we shll try the 2 Litres of Oil option for good measure. Nowt to lose.!

*beep*
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha ! Do you have the MIL light on when the ign is on ? cos it should be as part of the self check.

Possible cam position sensor,crank position sensor,rpcv (tech II required here ) or simply air in the fuel from the usual suspects  ran ok till you stopped now the fuels run back .

A brisk hand primer pumping will help to find this .

However going on the glow light thread if the system has stopped alltogether it needs a longer crank that you may normally give it - say 15 seconds ?
If it shows no sign of firing then its electrical i would think .
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse my ignorance...... MIL light?

I am also reading this thread thinking - Oh *beep* !

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13623&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=oil+strainer

Thoughts? ECU Kaput?
Funnily enough I did try to Jump start a fiesta a couple of weeks ago that tie in with the Glowplug Light Problem....

Should I head for the Dealers? or the Hills?
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more Litres of Oil makes no difference.....
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIL , malfunction indicator light or engine check light - .

If a longer cranking does O then its tech II time just for speed and keeping costs down .
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
its tech II time just for speed

Phil,

You have a Big Green LWB present heading to your Workshops on a low loader shortly !  Smile

Don't forget :

Gribble wrote:
keeping costs down .

Wink
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yet again our Local man at Derek Slack Isuzu has come up trumps for me... don't panic no need for me to read up on the 'Buying a new ECU thread'
As the Check light did not come on ata all and TechII would not 'connect' he found the problem as something along the lines of a loose pin in the ECU connector plug (or something ) bloody Electronics eh !

Seems to of been the source of the problems - Jackpot as it also seems to of cured the Glowplug light problem too.

Back on the road again But I haven't seen the bill yet  Confused

Top marks.

To add - after all the problems I have posted about my Oil leak (fixed by the Above) and that I have managed to get all the Oil off my lovcely drive...... Mr AA backs his van off the drive and, yes you guessed it - a splodge of Oil !  

Cheers,
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall...Result... Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: