All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

hard to start from cold........never used to be though.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 21:14    Post subject: hard to start from cold........never used to be though. Reply with quote

it used to start on the button 1st turn first thing in the morning no problem but now it wont?

its a 3.1td citation.

ive changed the air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter getting done on tuesday.

thing is after i did fuel filter the book says i have to "prime" the fuel through.....how far does the primer move? im only getting about 10mm push down movement then it spings up again is this correct? the book says push down and turn anti clockwise to loosen it but im getting no lift when i do this..
also when ya push down should i get fuel out of the out let pipe in the filter houseing ? as when i push down with the movement i have i get nothing.

next thing...the pipes from egr to the electrics bit if i take off from egr and put my finger over the end i get a "hiss" from the electrics bit on one pipe, but nothing at all when i do the other pipe.....the "hiss" still goes on after ignition is off for a short time then stops.

the injectors are also to be checked on tuesday...........i know the garage will sort it but id like to know abit about this problem and how to sort it also.

any body got a clue?

cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Mick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you opening the bleed screw
tootall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mic, opening then push down then tighten, similar to brake bleeding method,but still no fuel spurting, but the car runs fine after it starts.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope jus open and pump away till you get some pressure  and diesel squirting !
tootall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

well il try that again tomorrow gribble, is it right that i only get about 10mm push down though?  also wld nt it effect the running whilst driveing it?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the primer on the filter or the lift pump ? On filter its about 10mm but if you have one on the lift pump about 25mm once its unscrewed.

Wont hurt the cars running  once the screw one is wound down tight , the other sort is fine  as it is .
tootall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

primer is on the filter gribble,

i did spend some time after new filter went on pumping and pumping but got nothing,il try again today and see what happens.

eventryed the blocking off egr maynot have been the best way as the car ran *beep*,(disconnect electrics,put a screw in each valve where pipe goes on to pipe back over the top.)so took it out again.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy test - take off the pipe that comes from the diesel tank off the primer inlet and put your finger over it and pump . If it sucks yer finger and stays sucking its ok on the suck side . if not it might be the primer is faulty so take off the pipe that goes to the injector pump from the primer and put yer finger on it and see if it blows if not the primer is at fault.

I guess you have the new filter done up tight ? now you can get round this by sucking the diesel up to the filter with a aftermarket primer pump like rallymarshall has in his pics as its cheaper than a new one or maybe a breakers ?
tootall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok quick update on this..ive given up!

the garage can sort it.

ive primed it till me arms dropping off,and still nothing coming through to spurt out of the filter exit pipe.
i think id need to try an aftermarket type one.its definatley fuel starvation that it wont start when its cold.(in my untrained opinion any way)

i think it may well be the primer at fault cos the car runs ok when its started.........im guessing the fuel system works from vacum?  cant see a fuel pump fuse anywhere.
Grandad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the primer pump wont pump fuel then either the diaphragm in the pump is holed or you have air being drawn in from rusty holed fuel pipes probably back near the tank
when running the fuel is drawn from the tank by an internal rotary pump in the injection pump this a mechanical pump hence no fuse
tootall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks grandad,

so mechanical pump = vacum pump? or summat like that.

is the diaphram in the filter pump changable?

i did the pipe off the inlet side and pumped and to be honest i cant say that it was sucking my thumb onto it,but on the outlet side it did seem to push alittle.

when the bleed screw is undone i can hear air being pushed out so could this mean the diaphram is still ok?
Grandad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanical pump means mechanical pump  Wink vacuum pump  Question not for fuel for brakes only
filter diaphragm not changeable AFAIK if U/S fit new
to test put inlet hose in diesel in separate can  if it pumps diesel then its good and problem is with metal pipes
tootall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again grandad,

il try get time to try that before nightshift on monday.
failing that  im sure my trusty mechanic will solve it on tuesday,waiting on prices for replacement pump/primer from an auction site.
AD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 of our troopers have become difficult to start at some point and it was rusty pipes on top of the fuel tank in all 3 cases.

Believe it or not the primer pumps do not work on all 3 troopers, fine if the fuel is there but they wont draw fuel from the tank i use a small electric pump or one of These it's the only way i can prime them Rolling Eyes
04, 3.0 citation
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

AD wrote:
All 3 of our troopers have become difficult to start at some point and it was rusty pipes on top of the fuel tank in all 3 cases.

Believe it or not the primer pumps do not work on all 3 troopers, fine if the fuel is there but they wont draw fuel from the tank i use a small electric pump or one of These it's the only way i can prime them Rolling Eyes

thats what i got on mine now, seems to work ok

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: