All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

cry/scream/sulk/smash it up? self harm/sacrifice?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweeney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:57    Post subject: cry/scream/sulk/smash it up? self harm/sacrifice? Reply with quote

hello everyone,   I've had my pc 2 years now, 5 weeks back it got very slow so i added a 1 gig memory thingy to its standard 512mb, and all was fine and much quicker.

Now it is bloody very slow again!!  its telling me i have 11 percent memory ( its never been that low before), but there is no way i have used up all that extra 1 gig, all i've added since the upgrade is ''iso hunt'',  and ''bit torrent'' but that was weeks back and i always delete any downloads after a day or two. the pc always got a bit slow when downloading movies but thats to be expected.  

The problem started after i got a popup from avast telling me its found a malware trojan and would i like to delete it or put it in a cupboard ( errr something like that) so i chose to remove and delete and while i was at it i looked through my files/programs and deleted/removed stuff that i didn't recognise or files that just had loads of random numbers and letters in the title that i couldn't open.   some were add ons for flash player, anyway it was ok untill the pop up and me being  brave/stupid enough to delete stuff.    so after deleting a few that i was sure i didn't need from the recycle bin i put the rest of the deleted stuff back on my pc but its still slow,    Crying or Very sad     

i always use ccleaner, i've defragged using windows which free'd up a bit of memory but not much and still slow.  i've always had avast.
i don't recall having any thing on there that could of been optimizing the pc before i deleted stuff.

PLUS i ran a speed test of my Internet Service Provider this morning and it came up with 0.10mb/s, but the average for my area showed 5.52mb/s is there something wrong there? but that doesn't account for all my added memory being used up.

I've been looking at these registry boosters and security providers but its all gibberish to me and i really need any advice/instructions to be understandable for a 5 year old.

ANY advice or suggestions would be very appreciated     PLEASE,  PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE.
        notworthy  notworthy  shaking2  sign3

PS  even the characters for the emoticons took 3/4 mins to appear before i could view the selection,  oh what have i done!!! Evil or Very Mad    Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press ctrl/alt/delete and take a look how many procceses are running and which ones are the memory hogs, also have you done any windows updates recently ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi marky,

processes for all users amount to 56 the top 4 are,

firefox.exe moving between 77000k. and 105,335k (me)

svchost.exe 40.088k. (system).

desktopwindowmanager 17.744k. (me)

explorer exe 15,336k. (me)

all the rest are 9000k or below.

when looking at these,
compaq (c : ) shows 15.7 gb free of 225 gb.
recovery (d : ) shows 1.01 gb free of 7.26 gb.

does anything stand out to you?

the only things i have open is firefox and itoc.

Ps,  there is an option to compress my drives, is this advisable?

thanks mark (sweeney).

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right,
Is it the same for other users without Admin rights ?
If not you could create another account to use while you sort the mess out  Smile
Also download this and run it
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&DisplayLang=en
There is a programme called Hyjack this, but unless you know what you are looking for in the results then its as much use as a flat tyre.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks.

downloading now, will run it in the morning.

back to compressing my drives,  would it help?   are there any downfalls?

DYLAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky knows more about comps than me but after 2 years i would back up all important data and do a total reboot as a lot of garbage builds up over time, (just my opinion)

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
sweeney

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="markymoan"]
Quote:
Also download this and run it
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&DisplayLang=en

Well i left that link thingy doing a full scan over night,   but upon checking this morning there's no trace of results.  i asked the kids not to use it
untill i'd got out of bed this morning,  but it seems the kids are entirely innocent and the night fairys had been looking at girls mountain bikes on flea bay and chattin on msn, but they didn't get round to fixin my pc Exclamation

when i left, it had found 2 files with faults out of 45000 but looking at the status bar it had done about 5% so i left it and went to bed.
suppose i'll need to run it again to find out results and choose an action,    or is it automated as in does it scan and then repair without any involvement from me?

thanks.

DYLAN  i shall look into this backing up as you suggested becuz i have wanted to do this for a while just need to find out
the process. Rolling Eyes

markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same type of fairy, mine logs me out and randomly logs in as one of the kids  Shocked
There should be a results box telling you what has been removed and what will be removed after you reboot the system.
Compressing the drive isnt a good idea, it could slow things down even more or even worse corrupt the data.
I think what dylan means is save anything worth saving to dvd discs and reformat the system, its simple enough if you have the discs that came with the pc(recovery discs), a bit of a pain if you only have a windows disc as you have to find and install the drivers for sound etc.
Then again it could have a recovery consol in a partition on the drive, this would show as an option on the boot up screen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look back, yours does have a recovery option should you choose to go down that road  Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

beware of the 'bit torrent' sites, you may have unwittingly downloaded a virus of some sort,
going to have to do a recovery on mine sometime as my main C drive got 800mb spare Shocked
just got to backup all my programs onto dvd then its getting the recovery discs in (after i get all my passwords written down Wink )

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
sweeney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm now doing a full back up using windows backup and restore wizard,     6 hours later and i'm currently on the 13th 4.7 gb disk  dontknow  and its about 65% complete, i'm knackered its 4.20am, i've been staying up in order to insert the disks. watched a couple of long films ( the new transformers and angels and demons.) going to bed now.

What i'd like to know is, if its ok to restore pc back to its factory settings?   i know my passwords,   is there anything i'd lose that won't be able to find on my huge collection of backup disks.  i think there was a setup disk or summat like that when i bought the pc but i don't have it now  Rolling Eyes  Confused .

Anything else i should be aware of  Question  i'm not going to do the reformat/restore/reboot Embarassed  untill i've had some advice off here,  as you might have noticed i'm a proper noob at this computer lark, so i'm gonna use extreme caution.

ANY advice is appreciated lads and ladies,  what may seem common knowledge to you is a blinkin mine field to me. Shocked Confused  

THANKS MARK. Confused

greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have found that sometimes you have alot of programs running in the  back ground - these are not always used but run all the time using system resources
you can use the microsoft programme called 'windows defender' to stop unwanted programmes running - its a free download from microsoft
it also scans and removes spyware amd malware
cheers
Steve
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a cheap external hard drive to back up to, I've got a 120gb seagate for not that much cash, its much faster and easier than disks.  Also do you clean the hard disk up of caches  files etc (start - accesories -system tools - disk cleanup)  and then run defrag overnight.  You should do this on a regular basis, maybe once a week.  If you've got lots of people using it downloading stuff from t'internet its easy for the hard drive to get clagged with all sorts of temp files.  Also up to date virus and spyware protection is a must.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
sweeney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
Buy a cheap external hard drive to back up to, I've got a 120gb seagate for not that much cash, its much faster and easier than disks..

Wish i knew that,  currently on disk 23 after 21 hours backing up.  Embarassed but i did choose to backup everything  Rolling Eyes  i suppose you have to get wet if you want to learn to swim. or something like that.

Thinking  about paying  for anti virus in future any recommendations  Question , i use the free ones at the moment (spyware doctor and avast).  

cheers.

Last edited by sweeney on Sat Jul 11, 2009 0:25; edited 1 time in total
sweeney

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up now completed,  24 disks and 24hrs.    i've found two system restore disks that came with pc, so i might try to get pc back to factory settings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: