2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Caravan Security

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Caravan Security Reply with quote

What is the cheapest most effective way of slowing down the thieves, the van is a quite large Avondale Argente 640-6 with an Alco hitch, at the moment its chained to a nissan micra and has a golf ball stuck in the hitch.
Cost is the most important part at the moment, so please dont say ***** at £ Shocked
Would winter wheels be easy to make or are they so cheap that its not worth buying the steel ?
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mutlley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

like owt else mark. if there goin nick it, they will. if they cant, they make lots of damage!!  if its insured, make sure all specs on the policy are met. some ask that twin axles have two wheel clamps on.
ive even seen vans towed away with a piece of scaffold and a clamp which fits on the gator of the hitch, making the hitch lock about as much use as a choclate fire gaurd.
you can spend a fortune on stuff like corner steady locks, hitch locks wheel clamps. alarms. the list is endless. if they want it.  Evil or Very Mad  there going to get it.

but i know where your coming from. let me know what you come up with.
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big square steel box (sas hitchlock) over the hitch on my Ifor trailer which is great as you can actually use it when the trailer is hooked up as well although it does need to be pretty much straight behind the car.  Its also chained to a handy telegraph pole in my back garden.  I guess its like any other kind of theft prevention, add layers and make it so awkward they sod off and nick some other poor swines less well protected item.  I don't see why winter wheels would be hard to make if you can get some cheap plate from a scrappy.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to say if they are going to have it they will

Gas cutter will go through anything

Winter wheels will postpone it but they will just bring a set of wheels if they really want to nick it

I would insure it with someone decent such as CC club as they dont require too much security to cover it and carry on as you are.

You could of course block it in with another car so they would have to physically move the cars to get to it>
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is to slow them down and make noise, I have no doubt they will assess what they need and come prepared  Rolling Eyes
I like the leg lock idea, they would make a right racket taking those out.

ps. I'm sooooo glad its not mine (Its a neigbours), mine is a 15yr old Bailey that isnt worth nicking  Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I like the leg lock idea, they would make a right racket taking those out.

like these.. leg locks

markymoan wrote:
ps. I'm sooooo glad its not mine (Its a neigbours), mine is a 15yr old Bailey that isnt worth nicking  Laughing

the best sort to own  Wink
ericd
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain round chassis into a steel ring set in concrete in drive, same as they use to anchor a static. Bit much for day to day security, but if you're parking up for the winter it adds that extra layer with hitchlock etc.

'99 3.0

Rule Number 1 " I know enough to know what I don't know "
JohnW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance requires three security items when parked up disconected from car for 2 hours or more and 2 items when parked for over 2 hours connected to a car.
I have Alko hitch lock for the antisway hitch can be left fitted when towing, full stop/purple line leg locks easy to fit when parking, from towsure they have special offers sometimes a pair for price of one, and a wheel lock from my local car parts shop not a £100 one just a £ 20 odd one I have modified abit by putting round bar into box section helps defeat the angle grinder, as other people have said if they want it it will go but anything that looks like hassle gets rid of the oportunist. Wink
ian roby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNBOLT HITCH AND TAKE WHEELS OF ONE SIDE  WORKED ON MY HOBBY FOR YEARS EVEN LEFT IT IN WALES QUIT OFTEN
JohnW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian roby wrote:
UNBOLT HITCH AND TAKE WHEELS OF ONE SIDE  WORKED ON MY HOBBY FOR YEARS EVEN LEFT IT IN WALES QUIT OFTEN

Alot of hassle for a one night stopover though. Laughing
Wirdy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the comments are quite correct - if they want it, they'll have it.

Precisely why I'm not bothering with all these expensive physical security devices and i've just ordered This little unit to complement a simple hitch lock.

It's gotta be worth $95.  But it's also a gadget so it ticks both boxes for me  Very Happy

If the quality is okay I might even get one for the trooper because in addition to being able to get the unit to text you if it moves away from a datum point or beyond a defined area or reaches a defined speed it also has an output that can operate a solenoid to cut off the fuel supply -  just by sending a text to the tracker unit.   Cool  Smile
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good idea although you will need a sim card to go with it and most pay as you go stop working if you dont use them
Wirdy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimBanham wrote:
Looks like a good idea although you will need a sim card to go with it and most pay as you go stop working if you dont use them

Yeah, thought about that already - I'm gonna put my old virgin PAYG sim card in it.  As long as I request the tracker unit to text me it's lat/long once every 90 days the sim will stay active.  The £7 left on the sim card should last for as long as the useful life of the unit  Smile   even after I've played with it for a few days and checked out all the warning functions  Smile
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you go on with it, btw, 3 mobile payg credit doesnt expire and you get 500 free texts with a £10 topup  Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Let us know how you go on with it, btw, 3 mobile payg credit doesnt expire and you get 500 free texts with a £10 topup  Wink

That's handy to know - I've got a new Three PAYG sim sat in a drawer somewhere.

I get confused with mobile standards......will a three sim work with this unit?

The spec on the unit says -

- Specifications:
- GSM module: MTK program, GSM 900, 1800 dual-band; Support the TCP protocol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: