4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Somewhere over the Rainbow(with apologies to Paul)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinz

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:25    Post subject: Somewhere over the Rainbow(with apologies to Paul) Reply with quote

This is the record of a trip to Hanmer that we did a couple of weeks B4 Easter.Originally mentioned in this thread by Paul.
http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1429
Hanmer is about 130kms south of Nelson as the crow flies & about 200kms by road. The road we took was not the normal main route but a private road originally put in to service electricity transmission lines ( they feature in several of these piccies) The northern half of the road runs thru the Rainbow Station along the Wairau valley & permission must be sought from the station management to use it outside of the summer season, during which it is a toll road, & a key rented to be able to access the locked gates at either end of the station property. Our thanks to the McEwens for making this trip possible.

Near to the Nothern end of the road at the begiining of the trip

Some of the scenery along the way, the trip crosses the range of the Southern Alps & the landscape to the south on the Eastern side becomes drier & more barren but still most spectacular

Proving it pays to go prepared, a recent slip that someone had gone thru while still soft, I had to fill the ruts to stop the transmission guard dragging too much.

The rest of the Gang on the top of Island Saddle, about 4500 ft above sea level, & blocked by snow for much of the winter. Bernadette, Nick 9, William 7 & Tim 3.

Lake Tennyson,easily accessed from Hanmer & popular fishing & picnic spot, peaks in the background over 7000 ft high.

Heading back home after a great weekend, giving some idea of the road we went thru. A super trip, the Bighorn went great. We're looking forward to more like it. Cheers, Steve. Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jon willy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shinz and I best say Family.
It looks like you had a brilliant week-end and the weather was kind, the scenery is quite stunning even though looking a little barren, I presume at the ultimate height it was above the tree line.
Very impressive and Thanks for sharing your Family week-end.

Troopers are bloody good aren't they........

Kind Regards Jon.
ian

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes shinz i have to say that look like one hell of a place you lucky people Very Happy and hello to the reat of your family. nice lookin truck to and i am stuck here in scotland with nowere to LOL Crying or Very sad .

cheers ian
shinz

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys, Jon, the southern part of the trip towards Hanmer would be one of the more barren areas in the South Island, the Northern section being a bit further west is well treed up to about 3500 to 4000 feet, its a feature of our climate that the western side of the island, has a very much higher rain fall than the east, the Southern Alps, form a very effective block to rain bearing clouds from the Tasman sea & its not unusual for the East coast to experience drought conditions while the good folk on the West coast are developing webbed feet Laughing The more barren looking part of the trip borders the Molesworth Station which is well known in New Zealand as an area which suffered dreadfully from mismanagement in the latter years of the 19th & early 20th centurys. Over stocking & plagues of rabbits stripped the land of much of its cover. The first two & last photos give a better idea of what much of the land is like nearer Nelson & to the west of this area. Just over the mountain range to the west is the Nelson Lakes National Park, an area of unsurpassed beauty he says with total lack of bias & I shouldn't be telling you lot about it cause I like it just the way it is! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ian, Further south in the South Island, around Otago & Southland, the scenery is very reminiscent of Scotland or so it seemed to me when I traispsed thru there on my OE some 20+ years ago.I loved it. Cheers, Steve.
ian

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinz

what did you use to post the photos Confused Very Happy

cheers ian
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

No off roading in Scotland! There is tons of it! Jion a club, or get some 4x4 mags as they often do old forestry trials. There is I see a new off road site opened as well, so my Land Rover Enthusiast mag tells me - I'll let you know.

You ought to try Kent for lack of off-roading - too many cars and housing estates down here for comfort. Took me 4 hours to drive into central London the other day, a journey of 32 miles!

Great photo's there, on a well named pass as well!
shinz

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I use Photo bucket, it is popular with users of a Land Rover forum I USED to frequent(of course I don't now Embarassed Embarassed )
Here is a link to it.http://photobucket.com/
Simple to use & really good results.For my pics I took them at a 2mpixel setting (about450kb) & then resized them to about 90 kbs each,HTH, Steve.
ian

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul there are places they just wont let me in with my own truck.... thanks i will check the net for places cheers ian Smile

shinz i will give that site a try later will post some pics of loch long and my bighorn....

am aff oot fur the day is a belter here Very Happy Very Happy
K.Goodwin
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics.

what a view!

Twister wrote:
Always thought Troopers look their best in white

LTM 022
ian

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingnore this
steveforster9

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, linkee it no workeee?

Ian - it's asking for a password - help!?

1999 3.0DT LWB
dani4JB1T

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

woww....terrific photos...
Shocked

What kind of fishes there are in the Tennyson lake ??

greetings for you and your family !
Dani
shinz

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dani, Thanks for the nice words. Lake Tennyson is popular as a brown trout fishing lake, the trout is introduced to New Zealand, I think from Nth America, but is found in most of our lakes & rivers. Anyone can get a licence to fish these waters. Cheers, Steve.
PS I guess you don't get a lot of lake & river fishing near you Laughing
dani4JB1T

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinz wrote:

PS I guess you don't get a lot of lake & river fishing near you Laughing

hahaha....No, i don`t.
The lakes I have near are located at high altitude (4200m, 13700 ft over the sea level), and they are of salt water. Like this one...Lake Miscanti...No fishes there, only ducks and veggies.

The Southern lakes and rivers of Chile are good for fishing.

Keep enjoying life...and Isuzu Wink
Dani
shinz

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani, a stunning shot in a barren & rugged kind of way but no less beautiful. Cheers, Steve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: