4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Anyone tried using wood gas / producer gas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russtik2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Anyone tried using wood gas / producer gas? Reply with quote

if you have used this, in vehicles or biomass generators, i would love to hear from you,
if you dont know what this is, then read on:
i posted this as a reply to the hydrogen thread, but thought it should have its own space!

their have been vehicles using hydrogen enriched fuel gas since 1900 ish and a million vehicles across europe, uk included during the second world war!

wood gas, or producer gas, coal gas,  all much the same thing,

ever seen a flame appear in the smoke from an open fire, usualy when lighting it? thats flammable gasses released during incomplete combustion.

before we got natural / north sea gas, all the gas in the uk was producer gas (cooked from coal)
basically heat up hydro carbons withought enough oxygen and you create carbon monoxide and hydrogen, which are flammable. think charcoal burner with enough air to keep it really hot but not enough to let the fire spread, the adjacent charcoal is super heated.   for more info
google Källe-gasifier their is a translation of his design, it has a blue background and black text, excellent reading!
you can increase efficiency by injecting small amounts of steam which in the presence of carbon produce more CO and H.

for us veg oil enthusiasts it gets even better!
you can use the gassifier design in the link with a turbo diesel egine WITHOUT modifications, a true self regulating dual fuel!, the turbo- air intake controls the air flow for the gassifier, the gas produced is fed in to the engine via the normal air intake,  the governor on the diesel will reduce diesel fuel intake until it is just enough to ensure ignition (gas wont ignite withought spark or diesel)  if you run out of charcoal, you will start using diesel again. it can reduce diesel use down to 20%!

so it used to be said that this was not a turnkey technology With lighting the charcoal etc, i believe that by modifying the design a bit, you could ensure the charcoal chamber was closed air tight, when the ignition is switched off, stopping the rest of the fuel from burning and putting the charcoal out. and ignition could be started with a glow plug or two, which are certainly hot enough to ignite charcoal, so you could get in and go on diesel, and if there is charcoal in it, the gas would kick in as it gets lit and going.

true charcoal is a huge waste of energy compared to wood, but wood is already carbon neutral and charcoal is lighter and more convenient.

i hope to be doing this to my trooper eventually, but i have a generator at my workshop that is running of a 1.8 mondeo td engine, so i was planning to do that one first, as it can be a larger clumsier project, as its all stationary. and what i learn from doing that will help make the smaller car based model a lot easier.

hopefully ive got a few minds buzzing!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

JohnW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the 3.1 but the 3.0 dosen't have a governor its all electronically controlled and I dont see it being possible on that I have played around with hydrogen generators but didn't get a great fuel consumption improvement but had various problems so have put it on the backshelf for now. Though I do know of a bloke who runs an engine purely on a hydrogen generator but has problems with corrosion doe to water formed in the combustion process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: