All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Anyone using WVO in a 3.1 ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Anyone using WVO in a 3.1 ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

A mate with a 3.1 trooper is currently installing a 2 tank system to allow him to start on diesel and switch to refined WVO when warmed.  

I don't do the sort of miles he does and I don't fancy the faff with the installation but it got me thinking again about filtering my own WVO as I have a free source of good quality oil.

Im looking at filtering down to about 5microns but just interested in experience of those who are using it in their 3.1 engines.

What sort of ratio do you mix it with diesel?
Do you cut it with petrol in the really cold weather?
How often do you replace your fuel filter?

Thanks in advance

Rich
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Flarris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 19:51    Post subject: Re: Anyone using WVO in a 3.1 ? Reply with quote

Ninj wrote:
Hi all,

A mate with a 3.1 trooper is currently installing a 2 tank system to allow him to start on diesel and switch to refined WVO when warmed.  

I don't do the sort of miles he does and I don't fancy the faff with the installation but it got me thinking again about filtering my own WVO as I have a free source of good quality oil.

Im looking at filtering down to about 5microns but just interested in experience of those who are using it in their 3.1 engines.

What sort of ratio do you mix it with diesel?
Do you cut it with petrol in the really cold weather?
How often do you replace your fuel filter?

Thanks in advance

Rich

I'm using veg oil mixed with mostly (70%) biodiesel and a little (10% roughly) petrol, to thin it in my 1997 3.1- though I have only just started. Been using a combo of bio / SVO /  derv / petrol in Jap made (Toyota,  Daihatsu) trucks for nearly two years, and it has to be said that most diesels from that era are ok on veg oil in warm weather, but as soon as the temp drops below 10 degrees you'll need it to be thinned for sure and risk knackering the pump / injectors if you don't. I'd say thin with 10% petrol and chuck a tenner worth of derv in here and there. If it runs lumpy forget the petrol and put in either bio or derv with it, up to 50% or more. Change the filter after two tanks full. Hope that helps.
Trooper John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 20:47    Post subject: Re: Anyone using WVO in a 3.1 ? Reply with quote

Ninj wrote:
Hi all,

Rich

Why is he going for a twin tank, its not needed.  I run my 3.1TD on 95% WVO and 5% Missfuel or Petrol.  It runs perfectly fine.
I'm putting in a heat exchanger to heat up my Fuel, I got it cheap so might as well do it.

Also filter to 1 micron and not 5, 1 micron is a lot thinner than 5 and will be better.

Powered by Waste Vegetable Oil for a Greener World and a fuller wallet
smoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 100 % wvo . Mods are :-
Injection ( pump) timing advanced 4 deg.
Flat plate heat exchanger fitted.
Water injection to keep the piston rings  clean.
Big bore fuel tank pick up pipe and 10mm bore fuel line to engine bay.

Runs absolutely fine...........but wouldn't  attempt 100% wvo  without ALL of the above mods.
Ninj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the original post back in Nov, Ive also swapped to WVO.

Id be interested in your water injection installation smoo - not seen anything Trooper specific - cheers

Rich
crazypij

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:46    Post subject: Anyone using WVO in a 3.1 Reply with quote

Hi,

I started the other week putting 50/50 of WVO into an un modified Bighorn (Trooper equivalent in NZ).  My local chip shop filters the oil for me through a filter that they use (they filter the oil daily to get all the fine particles out which effects the taste and change oil every 3 days).  The filter is so good that I cannot filter it any more and I put 40 litres into my tank the other week and it works fine.

We are close to mid winter here though the local temp falls to about 5 degrees and that's it.  I have no modifications though if I were on the South Island then my local garage suggested that I fit a fuel tank heater to ensure that the oil stays warm and does not crystalise in the tank.

I have no idea what I would need to add to the vehicle to do it properly and I am great at destroying things but *beep* at putting things together hence why I have not bothered.

For info I have a 1996 3.1TD Plaisir with 190,000 kms on the clock (they run cars like Cuba here-keep it going and going) and though diesel is only $1.15 a litre (54p) it is still worth a go and the chip shop only charges me 20 cents a litre (9p) so must not grumble.

I think if you look at why the diesel engine was invented for then you could say that running it on straight WVO was what it was intended for and that diesel was only discovered as a by-product of other fuels so that's why it took over from peanut oil why took time to grow and produce.

Any body know how WVO effects that glo plugs etc?
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!
As I understand it, most damage is done on start up when the cold wvo is thicker and has a tendancy to gum up the piston rings and leave deposits on the injectors.
I've not heard of it damaging the glow plugs specifically before but this may be the case.
I've bought the kit to modify the glow cycle for extended pre and after glow and have found someone who'll supply extended glow plugs for the 3.1 although it will be a few weeks before I can get round to buying/fitting them.
I'll post again on here once I've done the work if anyone's interested.
rdavisinva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 22:39    Post subject: WVO With a 2 Tank System Reply with quote

Although we are running a 2 tank system in a Land Rover 110 with a 4JB1-T 2.8 TD, we had to jump through a few hoops as follows:
2 separate tanks with separate sedimenters and filters for diesel and for WVO and 12V solenoids to switch among diesel and WVO and among 2 WVO filters.
The diesel side has a low pressure electric fuel pump.
Start on diesel and switch over to 100% WVO when the engine is warm.
Installed a heated sedimenter then a fuel pump that pumps WVO @ 12 PSI through a heat exchanger, then through another heated sedimenter to trap any water, and then installed 2 heated filters.
There is a switch that allows the driver to choose among the 2 heated filters so you only actually use 1 at a time.
If filter 1 clogs, then we switch to filter 2 and change filter 1 when at home where it can be properly disposed of.
Then run on filter 2 until it clogs and switch over to filter1, and so on.
We also installed another heat exchanger between the WVO fuel filter of choice and the IP to insure the WVO will be nice and hot.
Just before time to park (a mile or so), we switch over to straight diesel.
It sounds like most of you are OK without the WVO 12 PSI fuel pump, but the Land Rover's 2.8 TD just wouldn't run without it.
This system has been in use for 18 months with positive results = no noticable change or breakdown.
The engine does not really seem to notice any when switched back and forth, but some claim that WVO produces less power.
Robert Davis in VA Smile
Eastblock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you plumb in the heat exchanger? I've just acquired one since temps are starting to drop. Bloody cold this morning!
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a T off the 16mm line from the thermostat to the metal pipes that run along the induction manifold (the 19mm line is the return line), ran that through a heated filter and FPHE then T'd back into the line just before it enters the cabin.
This worked pretty well, with the FPHE getting nice and hot but as part of rebuilding my top end I'm testing with a run straight from the thermostat to the heaters and directly into the cabin to force all the coolant through the heaters rather than just having a hot "spur".
As I'm aiming to have the truck back up and running after next weekend (still waiting some parts) I won't know how this has gone until then, but I'll post my findings once It's done as I'm doing a couple of other bio specific mods in the process.
rdavisinva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eastblock"]Where do you plumb in the heat exchanger? I've just acquired one since temps are starting to drop. Bloody cold this morning![/quote]

Plumb a T-connection that splits the coolant flow to and from the heater before the heater flow valve (on the engine side).  
By T-connection this means the the hose is split with 90 degree right and left turns.
If you mount a T-connection with the T straight with a 90 degree to one side, this is the wrong way to do it as the fluid will keep straight and ignore the 90 degree split to one side.

You didn't mention the type of heat exchanger you have, but if it is a plate exchanger, be sure and route the coolant and fuel in opposite directions.  If you mount them in the same direction, the exchanger will not transfer anywhere near as much heat...

Good Luck,
Robert Davis in VA
The Laird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I point out a problem I had?  My trooper was a petrol and before I bought it someone fitted a 2.8 diesel.
Lovely job but they forgot to turn off the fuel pump in the tank. Two days before I bought it, the injection pump was changed because it was leaking.
Three months later I had a serious leak from the front of the pump.
The seal at the front of the pump, the drive from the cam belt, cannot sustain presure from the inside of the pump.
The pump is designed to suck the fuel into the area behind this seal and presurise it in the secondary pump.
When the seal failed on mine it left a trial like a snail! And, the fuel consumption went down to 10 to the gallon!
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

English would be good, whats doing the PTFE to the DHLA and FTST about  Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTFE = Polytetraflouroethelene.             As for the rest....Over my head!
rdavisinva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laird wrote:
Can I point out a problem I had?  My trooper was a petrol and before I bought it someone fitted a 2.8 diesel.
Lovely job but they forgot to turn off the fuel pump in the tank. Two days before I bought it, the injection pump was changed because it was leaking.
Three months later I had a serious leak from the front of the pump.
The seal at the front of the pump, the drive from the cam belt, cannot sustain presure from the inside of the pump.
The pump is designed to suck the fuel into the area behind this seal and presurise it in the secondary pump.
When the seal failed on mine it left a trial like a snail! And, the fuel consumption went down to 10 to the gallon!

In order to burn WVO, you need to have a fuel pump on the WVO side rated @10-12 PSI that runs when you switch to WVO and a 3-5 PSI electric pump on the diesel side to feed the injection pump and push the WVO through when you switch over to diesel.

The scenario you describe is a petrol fuel injection pump with pressures high enough to blow the seals in the Isuzu diesel injection pump.  When we convert USA spec Range Rovers to diesel, both the electric petrol fuel injection pump has to be removed from the tank and the petrol fuel filter which is not diesel fuel compatible.  We made the mistake of removing the petrol fuel injection pump and leaving the petrol fuel filter in place.  The vehicle would starve for fuel and eventually stop until we blew out the feed line.  Then run for a while until it acted fuel starved again.  Our friend Pendy from Kansas pointed out that the petrol fuel injection filter was the problem.  We removed it and all was put right...

This petrol filter may be something to consider removing on your vehicle as well as the Range Rover ones do not like diesel fuel and eventually clog up.

Robert Davis in VA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: