2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

engine swap experts?please read

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think even if its a straight bolt in swap there will be issues as the 3.0L was a computer controlled engine so instruments will be different, I think I'm right in saying it is a drive by wire throttle too so some elctrical/electronic knowledge will be needed and you may have to swap instruments over as well.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bigb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i will have to fit a pedal and cable if its from an earlier motor,im not to concerned about the electrics as the only issues i think there will be is getting the dash to work but a mk3 speedo should do the trick,maybe not the rev counter as ive read this is a problem but i can live with that,as long as the running gear will physicaly bolt up,it should be an easy swap.i still think if i get a flywheel and clutch from a later mk3,this should be an engine only swap? thanks again bryan
bigb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

gribble,do you know why the flywheel wont fit from 3.0 to 3.1? if the later 3.1 comes with the same box and a dmf i would have thought it would?if so that would make life a lot easier. will find out when i get the engine out(suck it and see lol)
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but the 3.0 has 2 balancer shafts which work with the DMF  to cut vibrations ,the 3.1 has none 2 very different engines as well  and to be honest I dont know if it will or wont , your the beta tester here  Smile
bigb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,picking up a 2.8 frontera at the weekend that i am going to take the engine from,i believe the frontera has a dmf as well? i wont know what will or wont work till i get the engines out and have a good look,if i cant get a clutch set up for the 3.0 gearbox,i will use the 2.8 one and get mk2/3 running gear to  match (not sure if the frontera shafts/hubs etc are the same?)i will take pics and do a run through of what needs done and hopefully you guys can help along the way, i am quite excited about picking up a good 2.8 motor, that's really what i wanted in place of the knackered 3.0.if anyone has any input or can shed some light on any problems i may encounter,please let me know,thanks bryan
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fronty 2.8 in mine atm. Yes the fronty had a duel mass and the top locating pin is longer as such to accommodate the bell housing spacer. I had to take a hacksaw to mine to make it fit.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

bigb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut bits of with a hacksaw??? now your speaking my language haha, matski, what is needed to get the 2.8 to run? i have read a glow plug timer via a switch in the dash (probably from one of your posts) and a stop solenoid or something is all thats needed? thanks bryan
bigb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut bits of with a hacksaw??? now your speaking my language haha, matski, what is needed to get the 2.8 to run? i have read a glow plug timer via a switch in the dash (probably from one of your posts) and a stop solenoid or something is all thats needed? thanks bryan
bigb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

just picked up the frontera today,200 quid and the engine is sweet as a nut, will get the motor out during the week and ive just ordered a full gasket set from milners to make sure its leak free then il get started on the swap next weekend.
bigb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the 2.8 motor out of the frontera and done all gaskets etc,i also done away with the egr system. i took the 3.0 out of the trooper today.engines side by side and at a glance they were totally different bolt patterns and bell housing sizes(got a big fright haha) but the bell housing plates that bolt to the engines and accept the gearbox unbolt and were a straight swap. i then bolted up the 3.0 duel mass fly and clutch. i had some measurements taken from the back of the 3.0 pressure plate to block and when i removed the motor for reference,it is exactly the same as the  2.8 when all bolted up so happy days.the engine mounts look like a straight swap from 3.0 to 2.8 too but until i set about them i cant be sure(fabricating mounts wouldn't be a big deal if need be) i have removed accelerator pedal and cable from the frontera so will need to swap these over. i am going to have a full day on Thursday on the motor,so fingers crossed i will get the 2.8 in and all bolted/plumbed up.i am going to use the front mount inter cooler from the frontera as i plan to run a little more fuel and boost(and do away with the exhaust cats)to make the power nearer to the 3.0.will report back on thursday night with more info but i have to say this looks like an easy swap to do(haven't started on the electrics yet though lol) Very Happy
bigb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2.8 bolts up perfectly,even left on the frontera mounts on and they line up exact.got all the plumbing done,a little modding was needed to the front panel to fit the front mount but got it between the grille and the bonnet catch plate/rod and used all the frontera inter cooler pipework and it fits ok,i will need to use a different expansion tank bottle as it doesn't go down far enough because of the inter cooler hose.i am going to have to fabricate a down pipe from the turbo to mate up with the original exhaust. i will get the auto spark to get in about it maybe Sunday and get her running again.
bigb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a wee update on this for people doing this in the future,the accelerator pedal from the frontera bolted straight to the holes on the floor and match up 100% as does the cable(push out plastic gromet from bulkhead and cable clips in)the 3.0 pedal has a slot for a cable end but the cable from my 2.8 was the wrong clearance from bulkhead so used the frontera pedal.the oil pressure switch has to come from the 3.0 engine(do this when engine is out)the stop solenoid on injector pump needs a ignition switched live(again take a wire from this when engine is out as i had to break a plastic cover off which must have been from the 2.8 immobiliser and was a nightmare to get into) the 3.0 loom and ecu stays in and its just a case of tracing the wires that go to the water temp and oil pressure switch plugs back into 3.0 loom,alternator needs the white cable bolted on the back and from the 2.8 plug on alternator,i joined the red/white to one of the 2 wires on the 3.0 alternator loom to put the battery light into operation.i binned all the egr vaccum set up in front of brake servo and put a vac feed from alternator to vac solenoids on front axle and the soft 4x4 is fully operational.i had to make up a down pipe from turbo but im sure a 3.1 exhaust would fit? that is my conversion complete and i haven't worked out the rev counter yet but i can live without it(unless anyone knows how to get it working?)the 2.8 pulls well in the mk4,i thought it would be sluggish but im happy with it,starts on the button and i can put all the 3.0 nightmares behind me haha. thanks bryan
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that man !  now as you got nothing to lose find pin 26 in the red ECU plug and pop it out  from the plug then join that to the rev counter wire on the 2.8 injection pump and see wot yer get .

Might just work .
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed you question but you seem to have it in hand nicely! Good work.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

bigb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what the red plug on the ecu is but i dont have a clue what pin 26 is lol? any idea what would be pin 1 as a referance? thanks again bryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: