All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

engine swap experts?please read

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 18:18    Post subject: engine swap experts?please read Reply with quote

hi there,i have an isuzu tf pick up with the 2.8 engine which i couldn't be happier with,i also picked up a 2000 3.0 swb trooper which requires an engine, i have had a 3.1 trooper in the past and also a 3.0,the only one that gave me any problems was the 3.0,(constantly actually haha) my question is,could i pick up a swb 3.1 trooper and do everything as a straight swap? also will the old 2.8 engine mate up to the 3.1 gearbox?(i don't think the 3.1 or 2.8 will bolt to the 3.0 gearbox if I'm correct?) basically what would be the simplest conversion?(not the 3.0 back in before anyone says lol) i know the older engines are down on power and torque but i prefer there simplicity and reliability,i know some of you guys have done engine swaps and i know this can be done with either 2.8 or 3.0 as i have seen them converted for sale so all input would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance bryan
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 18:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bigb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

no help or advice on this one? lol. i would like to say,i plan on doing this over Christmas and i will post pics and a run through of what i come across as i feel some 3.0 owners would be interested in maybe doing the same,there's got to be someone that can shed some light on this? i have read on some searches that the 3.0 box wont fit to a 3.1 or 2.8 but some say it will if i use the 3.0 fly and clutch?any help at all will be superb,thanks again bryan
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only think I can help with is the 2.8 and 3.1 share the same box.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

bigb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that matski,if that's the case,i have read on 3.1 conversions the gearbox mates up with use of the 3.0 flywheel and clutch so 2.8 should do the same? that's great as i would prefer to use the 2.8 for simplicity reasons.if i can use the 2.8 or 3.1 without the need for an earlier gearbox, I'm sure i can easily keep the soft system working? (hopefully haha) i have a mate that's an autospark so the electrics shouldn't be much of a problem.thanks again bryan
bigb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more thing,does the mk4 trooper share the same chassi/mountings as the earlier models?(if i have to swap running gear) thanks bryan
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not so much  help but I have never done the job and tend to stick to what I have done or know about  Smile avoids bsh1t that way !

I believe that the gearbox spigot shaft wont mate with the 3.1 engine flywheel ( one on eblag had it cut off,bet that drove well ) and to get the speedo to work is a bit tricky.In the manual it shows the same gearbox for the later 3.1 as the 3.0 but until its on the deck ?

There is all the wiring for the 3.0 ecu to move off and the 3.1 senders to join with the 3.0 dash and other gauges,power steering pipes ,so on and so forth .

Is there not a firm in wales who did this as a conversion  for people and some posts about it on the forum ?

I would think a sorted 3.0 would be the same car to use and run  as one with  a swapped 3.1 but each to his own choice .

Good luck if you go ahead with it  and post away but dont ask how to get the rev counter to work  !
bigb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reply gribble,i was thinking of using an earlier style speedo to get around those problems,i would have thought you could take a signal from the alternator for the rev counter but not to sure? as regards to the spigot shaft in the gearbox,could i change flywheels and use 3.0 clutch? thanks bryan
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea tap into the alts windings might work depends on the calibration ,Komatsus do that on the Hitachi alts they fit  will put a pic up .

The 3.0 is a DMF - dual mass flywheel and if you look at red robbos posts you will see that the damper is in the flywheel and the drive plate is plain but on the 3.1 flywheel its  the other way round.

You can machine down the shaft to fit or bush it up I would think. Or cut it off  Razz  Pretty sure you cant swop flywheels .

The 3.0 speedo signal comes from the ECU not sure what would happen if you put it to the 3.1 dash from the sensor on the box .
bigb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again gribble,i think i may be far easier doing a gearbox swap as well then,but do all the hubs etc change over? as it would need to swap from the button on the dash to gearstick only for the 4x4 system,obviously needing to use freewheeling hubs.i have heard early 3.1 troopers would make a more simple engine conversion as they only need a stop solenoid wire to run engine(and glow plug timer switch)and a pedal to take a throttle cable.don't get me wrong,if there is any way of adapting the 3.0 gearbox setup,that would be the way to go
bigb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

gribble,just reading one of your replies above,dont you say(or the manual) that the later 3.1 uses the same gearbox as the 3.0? if so there must be a clutch flywheel setup to get it to work?sorry for the crazy amount of questions on the go by me here lol
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the push-button 4x4 rather than lever is the same box just with a remote actuator stuck on where the lever would have been so it may well be possible to swap it over.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , the 3.0 has its own flywheel, clutch plate and cover and the shaft matches them and the 3.1 has the same but its not a DMF flywheel on a  3.1 so the dimensions will be different.

The gearbox proper seems to be the same    Confused
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the later 3.1s got a DMF?
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right Matski but I have no idear when the change was  Confused  only done  a few clutches on  3.1 ones with a standard flywheel bout a P reg was the last .
bigb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

would the mk2/3 complete running gear bolt up to the mk4 chassi then? if so a donor vehicle would be a simple engine,box,diff etc swap over? thanks bryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: