2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

engine swap experts?please read

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well would you belive it my stumbling block is going to be a throttle cable,none at the dealers and milner dont do them. My conversion has not been as easy or they fogot to tell me how tight the sump to axel clearance is, ill post some more when i get a chance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 22:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bigb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a task getting the engine in with the box connected but i managed(on 2nd attempt,1st time the release bearing pinged off as it hit the input shaft,heard a little ping and guessed what it was,took engine back out and had to rebuild clutch,just as well i heard it lol) i think it would be easier taking gearbox out or moving it back to drop engine in.i had the fan off and rad out of way too.keep us posted how you get on thanks bryan
drakey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting for the battery to charge up so i can give her a try, the one thing i did find is you need to cange the oil filter housing from the 3.0 onto the 3.1 as the oil filter on the 3.0 is thiner. I only found this out today when i came to replace the filter and it wont come out through the gap between the torsion bar and the  prop shaft. Having to remove the prop every time you do a oil change is going to be a royal pain in the a**.
drakey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gibble i have tryed the wire from 26 on the  injector pump and didmt get any thing on the rev counter, is that the feed to the rev clock ? .I used the two wires that come from the injection pump nearest the engine block was this right,thanks Mark.
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rev counter is the one bit that dont seem to work on these conversions as the 3.0 is driven from the ECU and the rest of the engines  from other things.

Have to have some more details as to what pump it is but am aving a think about it  Smile
drakey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the nornal mechanical ve type pump  wot is the sensor at the top of the pump with the three wires coming out of it .I did have a thought that if you used a drive by wire pump would it work with the 3.0 throttle set up just thinking for other people doing a conversion with a newer type 3.1.
drakey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

well shes up and running and shes going well the only niggle is the rev clock it will not work,does anyone know where the rev clock gets its signal from,is it the cam sensor or the fly wheel sensor. I have also tryed a pulse from the alternator and this was a no go as well, also the fly by wire throttle can be converted to work the 3.1 cable for those without a donor motor, just cut the flat stop off the peddal to give slack on the cable.
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of questions for you guys

a have yiu left ecu in
b is shift on the fly working ok
c how about mileometer and speedo

thanks in advance
richard
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

drakey wrote:
well shes up and running and shes going well the only niggle is the rev clock it will not work,does anyone know where the rev clock gets its signal from,is it the cam sensor or the fly wheel sensor. I have also tryed a pulse from the alternator and this was a no go as well, also the fly by wire throttle can be converted to work the 3.1 cable for those without a donor motor, just cut the flat stop off the peddal to give slack on the cable.

The rev counter gets its signal from the injector pump, how did you go on with the rest of the electrics ?

<Edit> Richard just asked before me  Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have left the ecu in the motor and plugged it all up,although i dont think you have to do this at all.the speedo and mileometer and shift on the fly all work as normal.i haven't even bothered with the rev counter as i think they are a waste of time on a diesel anyway,although if someone works out how to do this (probably with a mk3 dash)let me know as i have taken the lazy boy option on this one and let someone else work it out haha.i have done thousands of miles since new year when i did the conversion and i haven't had a running problem whatsoever,if you have 3.0 that gives you nothing but grief,this is the way to go and the more of us that do it,the easier it gets.
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigb wrote:
i have left the ecu in the motor and plugged it all up,although i dont think you have to do this at all.the speedo and mileometer and shift on the fly all work as normal.i haven't even bothered with the rev counter as i think they are a waste of time on a diesel anyway,although if someone works out how to do this (probably with a mk3 dash)let me know as i have taken the lazy boy option on this one and let someone else work it out haha.i have done thousands of miles since new year when i did the conversion and i haven't had a running problem whatsoever,if you have 3.0 that gives you nothing but grief,this is the way to go and the more of us that do it,the easier it gets.

cool did you swap intercooler and turbo for the extra hp
tinkerman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

been watching this thread with interest as my injectors have gone after 12 months ,well done to bigb
and drakey for having a go and putting it on here for everyone to see.just the rev counter to sort and it's a complete conversion

may be a good idea to put it up as a sticky as it's a question thats often asked
bigb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard wilkinson wrote:

cool did you swap intercooler and turbo for the extra hp

i used the front mount cooler from the frontera,and being the frontera engine it has the 3.1 turbo and bigger injectors as standard so gives 3.1hp but a little less torque,i planned on increasing fuel and boost for more power but after conversion was more than happy with the power and i get 30+mpg with my heavy foot so im over the moon with it.thanks bryan
drakey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intercooler and turbo are not the same as the 3.1 i dont think they will swap over.Three stud on the 3.0 and four on the 3.1 and the stud spacing could be different on the manifolds as well .I would be interested if it worked ,my 3.0 turbo was goosed so didnt go down that route.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:35    Post subject: 3.0 rev counter with a 3.1 engine . Reply with quote

I need a victim to try connecting wire #9 from the back of the dash plug  1-09 {lower right hand side as you sit in it} to the rev counter sensor terminal on the injector pump . Or pin 26 in the red ECU plug.

Needs to be a separate run not going to anything else .Wont cause a fire as the rev counter is fused and its the supply.

I dont have 3.1 about to look at for the rev sensor connections but rekon one will be the live  in and one the earth .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: