4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

engine swap experts?please read

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

trippy i have a old set of 3.1 clocks the motor on the 3.1 is  held by 4 nuts three are contacts on the pcb and the 3.0 is soldered in place.I will try your sugestion mr G as this would finnish the job nicley thanks for your help, Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 15:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

drakey wrote:
Just waiting for the battery to charge up so i can give her a try, the one thing i did find is you need to cange the oil filter housing from the 3.0 onto the 3.1 as the oil filter on the 3.0 is thiner. I only found this out today when i came to replace the filter and it wont come out through the gap between the torsion bar and the  prop shaft. Having to remove the prop every time you do a oil change is going to be a royal pain in the a**.

did oil filter housing swap over ok sorry for so many question im quite nervouse about this
still carnt decide on a 2.8 or 3.1  Rolling Eyes
well open to oppinions
thanks richard
ubs69

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

go 2.8, more responsive better on fuel, and if its the frontera engine personally as powerful if not more than the 3.1.
bigb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil filter housing doesnt need swapped on the 2.8 frontera engine,just works as standard and it is easy enough to change filter when engine is in as i have done this already,think it might be a different setup on earlier 2.8's though? as to gribble's possible fix on the rev counter,anyone tried it yet?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the 3.0 flywheel or the 2.8 one ?
bigb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used the 3.0 duel mass flywheel and clutch although the frontera was a dmf one as well but was unsure if it would work with the 3.0 gearbox setup.thanks bryan
drakey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

next oil change ill try the 3.0 fillter as i think they have enough flat area for the o ring to sit on, still useing the 3.1 housing
Grandad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.0ltr oil filter is fitted to some later 3.1ltrs and is a direct swap for the wider early 3.1 filter
bazza2541

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the bonnet there is a black multi core plug. If you turn it so that the release tab is facing you, the second wire from the right is the wire going to the rev counter. Being mechanically inept, I still have to identify a place on the engine to connect it to.
Oliveau

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:57    Post subject: 2.8 fitting Reply with quote

You guys have given me hope! I have a low mileage Mk 1 [44k], but tinwormed, so now I know what to do - I think.
Using the 2.8 Trooper engine, not the Fronty version, just a few questions to check that I have understood all:

2.8 fits 3.1 or 3.0 by changing the engine / bellhousing plate?
Need to use 3.0 clutch/flywheel, but 2.8 will bolt straight to 3.1 without changing clutch/flywheel?
Will 2.8 engine/gearbox/transfer box assembly go straight into a 3.1?
bigb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if the trooper 2.8 gearbox/transfer box etc will go into a 3.0/3.1 shell,there are a few experts that have dealt with the mk1's on here that will answer that.are you planning on fitting a 2.8 into a 3.1 or 3.0? as it will go in either without having to use the 2.8 transmission,you are right in saying the 2.8 bolts up to a 3.0/3.1 by using the bellhousing plates from the 3.0/3.1 engine.thanks bryan
drakey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.0 has a longer bellhousing so it could be swap bell housings or a 3.1 propshaft as well as the gearbox but you would have to get over the front diff soft system or leave the diff locked in.
Oliveau

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been offered a V6 manual Monterey at a really silly price, so it's silly question time again:
Will the 2.8 engine mate up to the V6 gearbox?
Will the Mk1 diffs swap with the Mk2's - so that I can get the ratios right for a diesel?
407 Coupé V6 bi-turbo
Wyliebuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 22:17    Post subject: Petrol to Diesel Swap Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is listed elsewhere in this forum. I am in USA, and very few diesel vehicles are available. However I can buy a Trooper, import the gearbox and engine, and drive it here. Looking for specific information on if it is possible to take, say a 2000 Trooper, and bolt in a diesel motor and gearbox from a Trooper from Europe or Japan? I really appreciate any and all help. Thanks, Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: