All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Headlining!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bodywork, trim, fixtures & fittings ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lidders
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Headlining!? Reply with quote

The friendly Auto glass man came to change my screen and told me he couldn't due to corrosion around the top of it due to bad fitting last time.

This is now sorted after a lot of grinding and painting as it was mostly surface rust.

My problem is the headlining has rotted away where the rain has managed to get in whilst it was  leaking.

So my questions are;

Has anyone tried to fit one?

Did you buy second hand or new?

Was it expensive?

Was it difficult?

It's a LWB 1996 with sunroof!.

Many thanks in advance

LIDDERS
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

keithj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidders, I dont know if you've sorted that roof lining but i seem to recall (it's been a few years since i was in the trade) that there was a rubber strip which could be fitted at the front of the roof lining it's about 2" deep which would hide that damage, problem is i can't remember which motor used it but jaguar keeps coming to mind.  I would suggest you get in touch with a windscreen fitting company and talk to the older guys they may remember which car or recommend an alternative rubber.  If you do want to fit a new lining (i assume it's a hard lining?) it's easy, remove all the side trims which touch the roof lining, remove screws/plugs from the lining fixing holes slide it out the back you may need to twist it corner to corner of the back door, then reverse procedure to fit.  Some vehicles needed to have the windscreen taken out and remove the lining through the front but you should be OK with the troop bags of room at the back.  You may find that the windscreen bond has spilled over and stuck to the roof lining, if so use a sharp blade to trim off the edge of the lining, when the old lining is removed you can then trim the bond so the new lining fits snug.  They used to use a dam rubber around the screen apperture to stop the bond spilling over into the cab/rooflining (on most cars by windscreen fitters) looks neat as well, It's the same stuff that we use for draft proofing around the doors at home about 1/4" thick simple but effective.

If anyone has a windscreen or bonded side glass fitted i would recommend strongly that you ask the fitter to remove the old glass, ask him to come back tomorrow then YOU paint the appertures where the paint has been scraped off by the fitter (not his fault) (dont paint the remaing old bond on the apperture as the new bond wont hold)  there's no paint under the screen thats why Lidders has got rust around the apperture, I've seen many cars go that way and it's because the paint the fitters use is'nt up to the job .  I use Hammerite, the colour does'nt matter you wont see it when the glass is fitted (i use silver for touching up chips it's not exact but it's close and the rust does'nt come through),

good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bodywork, trim, fixtures & fittings ... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: