QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

OBD1 Fault Code Reader for Model Year 1997 vehicle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devbry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 21:42    Post subject: OBD1 Fault Code Reader for Model Year 1997 vehicle Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Right Hand Drive Model Year 1997 Vauxhall Monterey (Same as a MK2 Trooper and is same vehicle as Holden Jackaroo, Opel Monterey, Honda Horizon and Acura SLX) Petrol 3.2V6 Auto 5Dr LWB (Engine code 6VD1). This vehicle was manufactured by Isuzu for Opel/Vauxhall and was built in Japan on 20 December 1996.Although my vehicle has a J1962 OBD2 Connector I think this also may contain the ALDL pin out connections for OBD1.The Hardware ECU in my vehicle is Multec-M and uses a Protocol KW81 (according to Vauxhall/Opel) or GM8192.
I have a 16 pin diagnostic socket type J1962 with pins 4,5,6,7,9,11,12,13,and 16.
I do know that pins 4 & 5 are for Ground to Chassis and Signal ground.(Black Blue wires)
Pin 16 is Positive. (Green White wire)
Pin 6 connected to the Engine Control Unit, and think maybe for Blink code to MIL light (Malfunction indicator light or part of the earlier ALDL system) Voltage reading on this pin is +6Volts. (Orange Blue wire)
Pin 9 is connected to the Engine Control Unit, Auto Transmission Module and Airbag Control Unit. I think this pin is for data stream from ECU operating with GM8192 Protocol. Voltage reading on the pin is +5Volts which I think is GM 8192 160 Baud which I also think was the OBD1 standard by GM prior to OBD2.(Orange wire)
Pin 7 is connected to the ABS Control Unit.(Orange Black wire)
Pin 11 is also connected the Auto Transmission Module (Orange Green wire)
Pin 12 is also connected to the ABS Control Unit.(Orange White wire)
Pin 13 is a connection that returns to the Air bag Control Unit. (Grey wire)
Can anyone advise me if they have found a Fault Code Reader product and or interface listing connecting to the above Pin numbers for my vehicle.I wish to find a D.I.Y. Code reader that complies with the above that it will operate when connected to a RS 232 serial port on my laptop operating with Windows Me. (from info gleaned on the web the Serial Interface RS 232 would be the most effective.
I am looking for a D.I.Y. Fault Code Reader as my vehicle is old, very low mileage but in very good condition and find the purchase price of a Vetronix Tech 1, 1A or 2 Diagnostic Scan Tool prohibitive and would cost more than my vehicle is valued.
I have an ELM327 with a RS232 serial link connector but have been told by Scantool after purchasing and trying it out without success that it will not work on my vehicle.
Any info would be appreciated.
Regards
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont get OBD 1 and OBD 2 in the same diag plug as OBD 2 uses a much higher rate of info sending and its two way comms as well and is designated serial bus . OBD 1 was not .You can get 5 to 6V Dc on the terminals but to see the info you need a tool that can read the high/low portions of the comms and put up the fault code .
With the Isuzu its got a protocol which is only fully readable with 32bit PCMCIA card that has the info set it its memory.
To get the info to come up on your laptop you would need the VX TIS 2000 CD's installed and then it still would be a read only set up .

I dont think anybody has found a scan tool to read the later  isuzu so far ?

I would say you could just flash the MIL and see what codes come up as you cheapest option, (join pin 6 to pin 4 ,go to ign on and count the flashes then using the chart see what DTC it is )  - all the info is in the on line manual in the club forum.
Devbry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gribble,
Many thanks for this info.
I had been told that from 1996 onwards  Surprised when the J1962 OBD 16 Pin connector was mandatory introduced for OBD1 for the USA market, vehicles for other countries like the UK contained the original ALDL leads for OBD in the J1962 connector.
I know my vehicle has sensors on it, and has MIL light for "Limp home mode" as per Handbook that came with my vehicle. When I enquired with my local Vauxhall dealer if my vehicle was Tech 1 or Tech 2, they indicated they would not  know unless less they connected up to the connector, and suggested it may be  Tech 2 if it had the 16 Pin connector.
So it looks like as you indicate, to use the MIL/Engine Check Light to read any Fault Blink codes that maybe present.
Once again thanks for the info and prompt response.
Regards
CidaDaesal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks both for great information. my engine light is blinking constatly after i swapped engines(3.1) everything works ok. is there a way to turn it off at all do you know?
thanks
Devbry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cidadaesal,
Not sure about diesel version, mine is petrol Vauxhall 3.2V6auto with ABS Model year 1997 which is a rebadged Isuzu trooper MK2 made for Vauxhall by Isuzu.
I think all depends on the ECU and or Auto transmission ECU if you are auto and Model year number, as different model variants petrol or diesel, manual or auto have different ECU's.
With yours being a 3.1D I think it is pre 1998 but you may be able to do it same as my vehicle, where you should disconnect battery terminal and leave for at least 3 minutes. This apparently, when you reconnect your battery sets the ECU back to the factory default settings for the ECU and then relearns to adjust parameters from your driving habits over about 200 miles and several start ups.
Not sure if this will work for you as you must have disconnected your battery for a much longer period when changing your engine.
I would suggest you contact steve@greasemonkey.co.uk who is a member of this site and the Vauxhall owners club who is very knowledge about Monterey's.
Be aware if the above method does not clear your MIL light you may have to go to a main dealer or auto technician, who to access your ECU's will require the 4 digit security pass code that was issued with your vehicle when purchased from new.If you do not have this code it can be got from Isuzu if your vehicle is an Isuzu.
Hope the above helps.
Regards
CidaDaesal

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reply and advice-sorry been so long in geting back. had been waiting on spare parts for another job on the pick up so hadn't been driving it for a while. just tried taking the negitive off battery but the light just keeps flashing-looks like garage man job with the right diagnostic tools. thanks again for advice
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi a 'scanguageII' should read a '97 trooper V6 - it reads the vehicross just fine and thats a '97 v6
my email is steve@greasemonkey dot me dot uk not .co.uk
cheers
Steve
CidaDaesal

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.
i'm in a 2001 TFS double cab pick up. 3.1 manual. the code reader is to the right of the steering wheel above the acc pedal. just hoping i could turn off the **blinking** engine light. do you know what fault reader might work with the TFS?
Thanks
Dandee

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys! Very old post, people here might not be walking amongst us anymore  Laughing Anyhow,  got an old Vauxhall Monterey 3.2 V6 and was trying to connect an OBD reader without any success: no connection with the ECU. Has something been invented in the meantime to connect to this ECU? Any help would be appreciated.
@Steve: if you around, may I contact you to pick your brains? Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: