2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fuel pump woes - 98 3.1 Duty trooper

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Fuel pump woes - 98 3.1 Duty trooper Reply with quote

hello again all, I ve just sorted the new alternator and front prop shaft that was worn, thanks all for the help...

now the third problem to occur this month is my fuel pump. drove off my drive around the corner and poof....lost all power engine died i rolled to a halt.
Checked all the usual possibilities and we discovered im getting fuel to the pump but nothing through it, was told it could be the valve inside.

So whats my options?
1) is there a test to see if the valve is working & therefore a repair kit or something. Can i strip and clean it?
2)Could it be the fuel pump relay?  bear in mind ive recently had electrical problems which included replaing alternator & main charge relay, is there a test for this?
3) If the pump is completely knackered where and how much am i looking at to replace?

ps does anybody have a working link for the 3.1 pdf manual online, i cant find one that works??

hope you can help....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a fly by wire or have you got a throttle cable ? makes a uge difference as to your best way to go .

http://www.jeepolog.com/UserFiles/downloads/trooper_manual.pdf     should work .
poopyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link.....

Fly By wire????  mines a 1998 3.1 duty last model (pre 3000cc facelift) with shift on the fly 4x4.... does that help?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really no  Smile Have a look at the injector pump and see if its got a arm that moves when you push the throttle pedal ,then check yer wallet .
poopyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant check right now as its parked outside garage ready for monday morning.....

so go on frighten me..... if it does have an arm whats it cost and if it doesnt what does it cost....ballpark.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pump relay all mechanical fuel moving .  If you have an EDC pump its a diesel shop job only(or replacement ) but if its a VE mechanical one you can do a bit to it .
poopyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry could you translate to somebody whos not quite in the know...EDC pump, VE mechanical pump?? sorry to be so thick Embarassed
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electronic diesel control pumps were computer control jobs and only certain bosch dealers can do them up and pricey ----- not sure what the current figure would be as not see one broken for a while and the VE is an mechanical pump with diy repairs and tune ups possible and cheap to fix . You can according to Von Moan fit a VE on where a duff EDC has come off and we have no reason to doubt him.

There are other tings to check like fuses and and flash codes but till the beast is identified - - - - -
poopyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

right... thanks for the explanation, so just to clarify I presume the VE mech pump, would have an arm & cable on the side that moves when the throttle is pressed??? and the EDC pump would just have wires to it?

many thanks and sorry again for being so dim. I will go to the garage tommorrow and check what ive got then get back to you...
poopyfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

im back again, my pump does have an arm and cable to it that moves when the throttle is pressed, so which pump do i have?? EDC or VE??

another question i have is does this vehicle have a fuel pump and injector pump, are they 2 separate things or is it one big unit that does it all? when tested we have fuel being brought up from tank when turned over but we dont have fuel coming out the end which goes to the injectors. ( i have ringed this red in one of the pictures...)

Top of pump..

side of pump..

Electircal connector..

im presuming that i need to start by checking this electrical feed, i presume from the ignition to see if its opening the valve inside to allow fuel through??

any ideas or futher info would be really appreciated..
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a VE with an immobiliser on it - thats good  Wink Might well be the stop solenoid under the black plastic bit at fault , somebody on here had the same problem and did a trick to get round it - will have to think a bit unles marky can recall whats the way here .

No seperate fuel pump its all in the one in the pics but I would check the fuses first F7 , C4,C8,C13.

Also this model car is prone to rusty pipes on the tank and sucking in air - are you sure about fuel to the pump ?
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size 2 hammer  Twisted Evil
Dunno about tricks, just whip it out and test it  Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah for the VE!  Very Happy  brilliant guys...thanks for the info, i will get my man to check the fuses first then test the stop solenoid..

any other tricks or links to previous similar posts would be ace! I'll let you know how we get on....
poopyfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS NOT THE INJECTOR PUMP.....HURRAH!! Very Happy
just got off phone with my mechanic, Fuse was blown Laughing , hes managed to fire it up but it keeps blowing, so he will now test wiring for faults & then the stop solenoid itself......

I presume i have a short in the system, or a few fused wires in the loom as it was only a few weeks ago that my main Charge relay (the blue one) was melted on the board and the cause was found to be the Alternator, which has now been replaced aswell as the relay.

I spoke to the parts man @ Ashburton Isuzu (very helpful chap) and he said that Isuzu cant supply the solenoid separatly only the whole Injector pump with solenoid attached, he didnt want to mention the price and just said if you really need one just buy a second hand one  Laughing ... he does think  that you can buy the solenoid separatly, He wasnt sure but said ask around. Does anybody on here know where i might get a Fuel stop solenoid to fit or even who to ask  Question

many thanks Gribble & mr moan, ill keep you posted with more info as i get it...
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Bosch injection place would carry a VE stop solenoid  - see that group of numbers in your pic on the black plastic bit ? says Bosch ( made in germany ) just above it ,not ' Made In Japan '  so somewhere on the pump is the type and model exact code  for the bosch dealer to get your bits ..  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: