All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

water temp got hotter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 17:26    Post subject: water temp got hotter! Reply with quote

Firstly,hi Isuzu owners. My name is Ted and Im living here in Marseille France.
This is my first thread on the forum although Ive been a reader for a while and was hoping someone could advise me on my problem. i have a Trooper 3.1 d 1992. I bought it over here when I moved 5 years ago and recently I noticed the temp gauge is a bit higher, about half-way. It always used to read about a quarter. It doesnt get any hotter than this even in town traffic and the fan is working ok. Any suggestion would be grateful.
Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 17:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've always thought they ran a bit cool anyway, and mine only approaches 1/2 way on the dial on a very hot day when motorway driving. The difference in yours could be due to a "sticky" thermostat which has worn so only opens partially.

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
netty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:34    Post subject: Engine Running Hot Reply with quote

Hi - I've just joined the club as I thought I might get some help with my ageing 3.1TD Citation SWB 1993 coming up to 160,000!!! - Great vehicle.

However I started having the same temperature problems as Ted last year - gadge showing half way instead of quarter. Seems radiator is getting hot and filling up the overflow tank, but seems to get a blockage and won't suck water back through into radiator - hence water pouring out of overflow. Took to local Isuzu dealer to look at problem, couldn't find any blockage in system. Same thing was still happening with radiator running out of water. Isuzu dealer changed radiator cap and radiator seal after two visits - charged me £100!!! Still same problem, took it back and complained, had a look said it might be Head Gasket gone and that will be £700 as a quote thank you very much. Sod off thought I. Took to great guy who has been servicing it for a few years. But he couldn't find any problems with system and did head gasket check and said it was OK. Changed thermostat to see if that helped, which it did for about a week. Still having problems - having to put 1-2 pints of water in every week. Please can anybody help with any ideas???? Or a 'reliable' garage in West Sussex who can look at problem???? Sad
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to check:

Thermostat: make sure it has the right temperature t-stat fitted and that it works at the right temp, this can be done by hanging it in a pan of water with a themometer and watching when it opens

Radiator: Make sure it hasn't got a blockage, you could try draining it, removing top and bottom hoses and back flushing it with a hose pipe, first from bottom hose and then from top hose and vise versa until water runs clear, do the same with the engine, refill with coolant to the right strength and bleed any air out

Hoses: check the hoses for condition, softness etc. It is possible for hoses to collapse thus restricting the flow of coolant

Waterpump: make sure you can see water flowing across rad (if possible to see into rad when engine is up to temperature, no flow could mean a knackered pump

Electric fan switch, make sure the electric fan if fitted comes on at the right temp, if an engine powered fan check to make sure any viscous coupling is working properly.

Failing that a good garage should be able to check the coolant for engine fumes to diagnose a duff head gasket and pressure test the cooling system.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: