4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

WVO/Petrol mix and fuel heating, a few questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 13:43    Post subject: WVO/Petrol mix and fuel heating, a few questions... Reply with quote

I had been running my 3.1 last year up until around the end of September successfully on a mix of around 10% white spirit to 90% WVO (filtered to 1 micron) before I dropped back down to 100% dino due to waxing/fuel filter clogging problems.
This year I'm in the process of designing a single tank system using a combination of glowplug line heaters, in fuel tank 12v immersion heaters and coolant heat exchangers with insulated fuel lines and tank, and am intending to look into getting an uprated alternator and 3rd battery fitted specially for the purpose.
My main worry is starting however and although I'm looking to put 1 line heater directly ahead of the fuel pump and 1 ahead of the fuel filters I want to run with a semi thinned fuel from the get go to ease things.
I want to move away from white spirit though due to the legality, rubber eating and general cowboy-ness of it and am considering a petrol/WVO blend but running petrol over glow plugs, after running it through coolant heaters even in small quantities seems a little worrying...
Has anyone else tried anything like this and/or run on veg using petrol for thinner? What sort of blends are you using and how have they held up over the winter?
I've read 5-20% depending on temperature but again, that whole petrol and heating elements thing is a little worrying, any advice from anyone would be much appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Trooper John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use upto 15% Petrol in my BMW 325 TDS when on WVO during winter.  
Using Petrol as a thinner is 4 times better than using Diesel.  So 20 litres of Diesel is equal to 5 litres Petrol.  
In my Trooper atm is 90% WVO and 10% Misfuel.  

This is what someone has done to there Trooper:-
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16373
Made an In Tank Heat Exchanger, with larger fuel pick up pipe.

Powered by Waste Vegetable Oil for a Greener World and a fuller wallet
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, useful to know there's a tank strainer in there.
I'd wondered about a coolant based heat exchanger directly after the tank but I'd like to greenlane my troop once I've got the chassis sorted and a few other bits n bobs in place so running coolant hoses underneath is something I'd want to tread carefully with.
I've been looking at the frozen smoke exhaust wraps that are starting to become available with a view to insulating my fuel inlet and return hoses and then using a sheet of frozen smoke siliconed to the tank (with underbody seal on first) to help keep the heat in.
The idea for tank heating I'm kicking about at the moment is to run two 500w 12v immersion elements into the tank powered from a dedicated 3rd battery/uprated alternator and activated from a manual dash switch and then two 50w 12v immersion elements hooked to a thermal cut out and manual override and powered from 4 x 25w solar panels mounted on the roof for a constant, if gentle heat even when the trucks not in use.
As my truck is currently a bit of a project motor with a number of jobs that need doing before fancy solar heating systems etc I'm looking to get the coolant heat exchanger/heated fuel filter and double glow-plug line heaters in this year and get the heated tank in for winter 2011.
If anyone else has thought about this, tried anything like this or can see any probs, please let me know as although I'll be testing everything thoroughly before chopping the troop up I'm very keen to take advice on this from anyone.
Trooper John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep some sort of electric heater before the fuel pump and before the fuel filter would certainly help.  
I'm gonna try lagging my fuel pipes, and maybe lagging the tank to keep a bit more heat in there.