All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Timing Belt - 3.0 Trooper

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Timing Belt - 3.0 Trooper Reply with quote

I need to replace the timing belt on my 3.0 trooper (4JX1) sometime in the next few weeks. Have read some useful posts on this forum, and have the "download" manual, but can I just double check that :
No need to remove the crankshaft pulley.
No special tools required.
Just line up marks on the oil-pump pulley and the camshaft pulley.
No need to replace the tensioner - they don't wear out.
No need to lock the camshaft (or crankshaft) whilst doing the job.
One tooth out and it won't start ever again.
Apart from cover gasket and (obvioulsy) new belt, no other new parts required.
About two/three spanners on the Haynes scale of difficulty (I'm OK up to about 4, then I panic !)
Eithan can do it blinfolded in ten minutes with one hand whilst making sausage butties with the other !

Cheers,
David.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite - You need to get the crankshaft on #1 tdc and the camshaft  pulley notch on the mark in line with the camcap mark.

Dont use the oil pump mark ,#1 on tdc is when the tiny mark on the back of the crank pulley is in line with the mark on the timing cover behind the soundproofing  at 12 o'clock .You can ,if you are brave just use the cam mark and slip the new belt on so the drive side is taunt over the pulleys .

When you turn the engine to get to TDC make sure you only turn clockwise as if you iss TDC and  turn back the freeplay in the geartrain can put the timing out .

Once the new belt is on turn the engine by hand at least twice round to check alls well and then lock the tensioner pully up to the correct torque.

I think you will find eithan has both paws on sossy sarnie and belt has to wait  Smile
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:23    Post subject: Cam Belt Reply with quote

Hi Gribble,
Thanks for that. Haven't been able to take a close look as the weather is so bl**dy awful but ........ I can't see a big nut on the end of my crankshaft pulley (to turn the engine over by hand.) - it looks "smooth" on the end.  Is there some sort of plastic or metal cover that unclips or similar ? Also, is timing mark on crankshaft pretty obvious when I can get a better look ?
Cheers,
David.
fletch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

This any help to you.

Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 24mm head bolt in the middle of the crank pulley , you can turn it with that using a socket and bar .

On the back lip of the  crank pulley is a small mark , this is the TDC one its easier if you mark it with chalk or paint so you can pick it out .It has to be at 12 o'clock when the cam pulley mark matches the mark on the metal plate ,also at 12 o'clock .

If the black plastic soundproofing is in place over the TDC mark on the timing cover  you will need to take it off , 2 x 12mm bolts .
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - didn't make myself clear. There's some sort of foam or rubber insert in the crankshaft pulley. Does this just pull out to get to the nut. I assume so, but just wanted to be sure.
[img][/img]

David.[img][/img]

Cheers,
David.
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen one of those before !  mind you I only get them after others have messed about  on the engine , suspect that just pops out with pry or two  under the edge ..
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does it's just a foam bung, as everyone has said put it on tdc and ignore any marks on the oil pump pulley, what i do is when the belt is on and the tensioner is on but loose just turn the engine clockwise a smidge to take any slack out of the belt then tighten the tensioner up.

i can change one of these before the instant lighting bag of charcoal has gone white!!  Laughing  Laughing

they are very easy to do
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great - thanks everyone for the help and advice.
Once the rain stops (that'll be September then !) - I'll get the spanners out.
Happy Easter.
David.
sbhep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

well from one novice to another

how did you get on..........

I have one to tackle and thinking of having a go

Eithan and Gribble say easy but they are both 70 and worked on troopers for 30 years !!!!!

hope to hear it was easy
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can divide both of those numbers  by 2 !  Razz
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats weird because thats exactly how old i am and how long i been working on isuzus!!

ooooooo......... cue x files music!!
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had time to do it yet - will post once the job is done (or the car is still in bits !)
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 17:56    Post subject: Finally ................... Reply with quote

............. got round to doing it. Used the excellent advice from Eithan and Gribble, but the following might help those like me who haven't done it before.
Remove the air trunking between the air filter and the turbo. Unplug the position sensor on the front of the cam belt cover, then remove the cover. I found I had to remove the air-con pulley before I could get the cover off. Turn engine to TDC. The was the hardest bit - there's not much room to get a ratchet and socket on the nut, there's a lot of compression to overcome, and the fan will probably take some skin off your wrist !! The timing mark on the camshaft pulley is pretty obvious - the crankshaft pulley is less so, I found a very small "notch" on the front of the pulley which seemed to be in the right place. I put a dot of white paint on the camshaft pulley, the crank pulley, and the oil pump (I think) pulley. This last one won't line up with the others once the engine is turned, but it is reassurance that nothing has moved while the belt is off. Then remove the bracket that holds the position sensor. Loosen the tensioner. I removed mine completely, partly to make life easier, and partly because I was going to replace it anyway. (Not necessary I gather but good for peace of mind and not expensive.)
When you remove the tensioner, note that the spring is NOT captive - it just "rests" on two little "posts" and can easily fall out and end up somewhere in the depths of the undertray.
Remove the old belt and put the new one on. I used a couple of clothes pegs to keep the belt tensioned on the two pulleys while I refitted the tensioner. Assuming the marks are still in the same places, hand tighten the tensioner bolts and then slowly turn the engine two complete revolutions. The TDC mark on the crankshaft and the mark on the camshaft pulley should both line up again, but the one on the oil pump pulley probably won't. Then - torque up the two bolts on the tensioner and the rest, as Haynes would say, is the reverse of the above. I may be wrong, but I can't see how the tensioner spring can have any effect once the two bolts are back in and tight again. Big sigh of relief - engine started immediately. I gather that one notch out and it won't so I'm pretty confident I got it right. Time taken - including a short tea and biccy break - 90 minutes or so.
Had to pluck up courage, 'cos getting it wrong could have been very expensive, but not really a difficult job.
Cheers (and thanks again to Eithan and Gribble)
David.
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot on, you are right about the tensioner though when it's tightened up the spring bit does nothing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: