All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Crank Sensor Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete Marsden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 19:24    Post subject: Crank Sensor Location Reply with quote

Hi... Can anyone please tell me exactly where the crank sensor is located on a 2000 Trooper 3.0L TD and a brief description of what it looks like... Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 19:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its in the front of the flywheel housing just up from the end of the engine oil oil filter and between the exhaust and the block . Its the only sensor there,round and about 35mm long  and has a 3 wire plug going to it ,most of it is in the bell housing and its held in with 10mm head bolt.

It does not actually read off the crankshaft but a indexed ring on the flywheel and from this the ECU can determine the cranks position.

It also reads the rpm from which the ECU drives the revcounter.

Have you had that diagnoised as the fault then out of idle curiosity  Question
Pete Marsden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 20:09    Post subject: Cranc Sensor Reply with quote

Hi Gribble, I had a Tech2 system on it but it found no faults, the mechanic asked what oil I put in it, which was wrong so I changed the oil and it sparked straight into life.... But, the moment you touch the clutch it miss fires puthers white smoke eventually cutting out... However, if I get it up to normal running temp it runs and drives perfect, again once you stop and leave it to cool for approx 10 to 15 mins it starts fine but misfires when I touch the clutch, when I say touch the clutch if you were to touch the back of your hand with a finger as lightly as you can thats all the amount of pressure you have to put on the clutch for it to misfire untill its up to full running temp..... I have placed this on ITOC forum before and a few peoples have said it sounds like the crank sensor so thats where I am... At the sensor and very confused!!!!!

If you can help or have got any advise it would be of great help. your name comes up quite a few times on this forum, you seem to be the Trooper mechanikin king.....

Cheers
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

crank sensor is the first thing to do and this does normally cure them but the 3.0l can wear the thrust bearings/crank so if you do replace it and it still does it then you are looking a bottom end rebuild.
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh now me heads swollen ! Embarassed  the way to check the sensor is to have the tech 2 plugged in and on the live data screen and touch the clutch pedal and if the crank sensor goes out of range it will lose the engine rpm count .

As the eithan says it is the common cause of the clutch pedal/misfire fault but check if the sensor is fully home in its hole and if possible have the crankshaft endfloat measured as well . This is normally done by putting a DTI (dial test indicator  ) to measure the movement as the Isuzu spec is very tight at about 14 thou  max .

You can tweak the sensor to go in a bit closer if the movement is just a bit over and eithan has a further dodge with the timing ring .
Pete Marsden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 20:37    Post subject: Crank Location Reply with quote

I have another crank sensor on order so as soon as this comes I will fit and report back, hopefully this will be the problem solver, Iv had my Trooper for 3yrs and its never let me down so im hoping this will get me back on the road.... and off...

Thanks guys, speak soon....
Middz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 17:01    Post subject: Isuzu Bighorn Stalling possible Crankshaft sensor issue? Reply with quote

Hello all.
My bighorn has an intermittent issue where the check engine light comes on the rev counter drops or doesn’t work and it stalls. on cold start the engine light is often on and the rev counter not working and it wont idle, just stalls, then when warm the revs usually start working and it will usually and be fine. it has however when foot off the gas stalled and being n automatic i have to slow to stop and engage park to restart car which is a bit dangerous.

Its a 1995 Bighorn 3.1 4JG2

Dan from independant isuzu (verbal referral) told me it could be one of two issues, crankshaft sensor wiring (most likely) or the sensor itself. i have had a garage investigate the wiring and there's no issue there. i now cannot find a replacement sensor to try. any help appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: