2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4JX1- 3.0DT Essential reading (part 1)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other interesting bit is there is no gasket in the centre of the housing to stop the oil from the top section mixing with the oil from the bottom section it's just metal housing to metal block the only gasket is a big o ring that goes around the outside of the 2 sections.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 22:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Twister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again guys, still here, still taking all this in.

I'm gonna be doing an oil and filter change this Friday, and I'm going to have a good look at both these valves and check everything. I'll let you know what I find.

Spoke to IM today, they specify Mobil SE 5w30, which is fully synthetic. However, having spoken to Exxon Mobil's helpdesk it appears this oil is not available retail. It appears to be the only fully synth 5w30 on the market, and appears to be available only from Isuzu dealers, who will not sell it over the counter because they only have it in 45 gallon drums. Does anyone know differently ? I really would like to use a fully synth if possible.

I've also spoken to Castrols helpdesk, and it appears that Castrol GTX Magnatec, which is a semi synth 5w30 CF meets all the criteria including shear ratings for the 4JX1. I was wondering if anyone has used this oil, and if so how they rate it in this engine.

I dont particularly want to take the car to a dealer for an oil change, as last time they charged me £150 to put it on their oil pressure testing rig only to tell me that there was no problem, when there is. God knows how much they'd want to check these valves at the same time!!!!!!

What oil have you just put in yours scrooge ?

Regards,

"Tongue-tied and Twisted; just an Earth-bound misfit,  I..."
 -  PF

LTM # 000002
DAVE FROM NEWCASTLE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 21:00    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

i use exxon mobile full synic oil get it from a friend who i shall name but one of the chiefs at exon tryed theoil left it in for 20,000 and it came out in good condition now i scrogg beg the oil of him
it was designed for formula one cars so must be ok and ive found it very good
my motor mk2 trooper 3.1 citation lwb with 171000 on the clock luvely
Scrooge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil pressure rose normally on start up today (by which I mean it came up quickly). Engine seemed to start a little quicker too though I can't see why the lubrication circuit oil pressure rising more quickly would affect pressure in the other circuit Confused

Mr Twister, I am now using Castrol R 5W/30 which is fully synthetic and quite well priced here (Australia). I don't know whether you have the same oil in the UK but looking at the Castrol website it doesn't appear you do. Perhaps one of the 0W/30 synthetics would be OK. I have previously used a 5W/40 Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic which was fine too (in a warm climate though). I would not use anything other than a fully synthetic oil in this engine. Looks like Mobil 1 5W/30 would be OK.

Taking the valves out isn't too bad a job but I don't think I achieved anything by doing that. I think that on my car the oil filter housing nuts were not tight enough and that was permitting oil to seep slowly out of the oil cooler into the sump - also caused a slight oil leak.

I wouldn't try doing anything to the filter housing assembly (other than inspecting for an oil leak etc) without first removing the oil filter, there isn't room to get at it with the filter in place.

Mr Twister, PM me if you want more specific information on what tools you will need etc!
Twister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrooge,

Didn't realise you were down under, really sorry about the Ashes mate Wink

Seriously though, I've tried a VW / Audi fully synth 0w30 before, and it was distinctly noisy when cold. So much so that I changed the oil again 3 days later, so thats a no go. If I can't find a 5W30, I may try a 5w40, although I beleive this can affect performance when warm quite considerably.

Oh I wish I'd bought a V6 !

Regards,

-  PF

LTM # 000002
Scrooge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Twister wrote:
Scrooge,

Didn't realise you were down under, really sorry about the Ashes mate Wink

A Pommy down under Very Happy
alwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Shell Helix 5W-30 in my 3.0 ( semi synth). Available from motor factors

'99 3.0 Duty SWB " best 4x4 by far while it's running"
Twister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made a MAJOR discovery regarding oil for this engine Very Happy

I had a brainwave today, and figured that seeing as how Isuzu have been supplying Vauxhall with diesel engines since time began, maybe a call to a Vauxhall dealer could help.

Sure enough I hit the jackpot.

GM ( general motors ) have recently started to distribute a FULLY SYNTHETIC 5w30 CF oil through your local Vauxhall dealer, and it comes in lovely 5 litre cans.

According to the very helpful guy at my local Vauxhall dealer, they only started selling this about 4 months ago.

Why cant you get it from Isuzu dealers ? Dunno, but I did hear a rumour that Isuzu and GM had parted ways, don't know if thats true though.

Anyway, just bought 20 litres ( buy 3 get one free ), will be putting it in the engine Friday, and will let you know.

Regards,

-  PF

LTM # 000002
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 19:19    Post subject: As posted Reply with quote

Hi All,

Morris Lubricants of Shrewsbury do a fully synthetic 5w/30 which they describe as a dedicated diesel engine oil. Their products are widely available in this area, and I have been using their stuff in all my numerous vehicles for the last 20+ years without any problems.

Check their web site. Their stuff comes in 5l cans, 25l, and 200l drums.

Hope this helps

Dafydd W.W.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

They (Morris Lubricants) would NOT recommend the use of their fully synthetic engine oil for my MKII as it "may lead to increased oil consumption in older engines". This I got in the form of an email from their customer service engineer.

So I went and bought Motul semi with absolutely no problems, even though it is designed for "current highly stressed modern diesels"

They had their chance...

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
unclealbert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Just to add my twopence worth, I have been using Halfords 5 W 40 fully synth and did not find any problems with cold cranking.

I change it a 6000 mile intervals

Yours

David
beanhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twister wrote:
Scrooge,

Didn't realise you were down under, really sorry about the Ashes mate   Wink

Seriously though, I've tried a VW / Audi fully synth 0w30 before, and it was distinctly noisy when cold. So much so that I changed the oil again 3 days later, so thats a no go. If I can't find a 5W30, I may try a 5w40, although I beleive this can affect performance when warm quite considerably.

Oh I wish I'd bought a V6 !

Regards,
i got carlube  triple r fully synthetic 5w 30 long life , it be ok in 2002 3.0l dt citation  Question
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy thread ressurection nearly 5 yrs to the day since the las post Shocked
DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have rummaged the 3.0 posts and left some in sight Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
beanhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYLAN wrote:
I must have rummaged the 3.0 posts and left some in sight Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
got carlube  triple r fully synthetic 5w 30 long life , it be ok in 2002 3.0l dt citation   Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: