2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My Finished Twin Tank Conversion (Icluding Pictures)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cai876

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 21:50    Post subject: My Finished Twin Tank Conversion (Icluding Pictures) Reply with quote

Parts that I am using for my vegetable oil conversion.

Pollak Valve:
Doesn't have the same  problem as the electromagnet ones of a small internal bore (4mm) this means that it has an area of 12.56mm(square). It is also easier to operate (one switch). It also only draw current when it's working, and has the added benefit of being able to switch the Facet pump automatically.

Facet Pump:
Helps a lot with fuel delivery problems, particularly when it's cold. The injector pump has to draw the fuel all the way from the tank on a standard car, ok when your on diesel. But imagine how thick that veg oil gets in the winter!
It also masks problems with air leaks.

10mm fuel line:
I am using 10mm fuel lines on a lot of the car, this will put less strain on the facet pump and injector pump. It might not sound like much of a difference, but a 10mm hose has 60% more area in it. An 8mm hose has an area of 50.24mm squared while a 10mm hose has an area of 78.5mm squared. The original trooper one is 6mm which is only 28mm squared!
If I was doing it again I would have plumbed it all using see through fuel lines. Much better as you can see whats happening with the fuel.

I first made a bracket for the facet pump using a piece of steel that I had lying around. I drilled three holes in it, two holes for the pump itself. And one for the mount on the chassis

The pump is mointed using a mounting kit which greatly reduces he noise/vibration that this pump makes.

The pump has a filter at one end which filters anything which is big enough to damage it. It has an 8mm union, I will use the standard 8mm hose from the tank to the pump.
But the other side has a 10mm union so I can use a 10mm internal diameter hose from the pump to the engine bay, for greater fuel flow.

This is where I have mounted the pump, It is on the round cross member at the middle of my vehicle. The reason for mounting it here was, not much of a chance of getting hit while off roading. Isuzu also kindly gave me a suitable bracket, but I have my doubts about how long that bracket will last. It is also on the path of the fuel lines. Don't worry, I am going to insulate that bare wire. It is earthed through the chassis.

I have decided not to go for the ignition live route for now, I have decided to use a switch (Right) to kill the power while the engine is off instead. This is purely because it's the easy option. (sorry about the poor lighting). The switch is located there because that is where I had some spare places to put them, I could have put them behind the steering wheel but I think that the transmission tunnel is more convenient.

Second Right is the double pole double throw switch, this is for controlling the pollack valve, it also puts the facet pump on when I select the main tank.

The double pole double throw switch requires a live to two of the terminals, this is how I done that.

The rubber seal on the bulkhead has conveniently cracked, this let me put wiring easily between the engine bay and my switches.

I have used an old 2cv fuse, it is an inline one which makes things easier. I used it because we have an old 2cv rotting in my grandparents yard.

This is my secondary fuel tank, I took away a load of the trim and fitted it with a belt I made with different parts. I was going to put the tank on the driver side but for some reason the wheel arch is bigger on that side, no idea why. The fuel lines go behind the plastic trim almost all the way

This is the only part of the line which is visable.

This is the pollak valve, I have secured it using a bracket I made with some scrap steel. I have a disposable filter for the diesel, I couldn't be bothered to put a proper one in.

Tyres 265/75 R16 BFG MT KM2
Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!

Last edited by cai876 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 15:56; edited 3 times in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 21:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far  Cool
I said in another thread that fitting a rad off an auto would make a great heat exchange, the pipes that would normaly go to
the auto box could be used to warm the veg oil, only problem I can see is circulation in winter to the veg tank to warm the stuff up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for sounding thick but I don't really understand!

Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cooling radiator on an auto has a heat exchanger built in, normally it warms/cools the ATF for the auto box

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finished the conversion and have at last added the remaining pictures

Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!
flatmajor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant job. i had a single tank set up. i had in line fuel heaters, tank heater and injector heater. im looking on maybe doing a twin tank set up, but havent made my mind up. i do need to do something quick as winter is coming. i made all my heaters my self appart from one of the inline heater that was before the injector pump. where did you get all your parts from?

cheers
cai876

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since improved the system quite alot. I will post up the pictures after i get a chance. I think it goes better now than it ever did on diesel.
ill put a reply when i get near a computer

Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!
flatmajor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

cai876 wrote:
I have since improved the system quite alot. I will post up the pictures after i get a chance. I think it goes better now than it ever did on diesel.
ill put a reply when i get near a computer

ok brill, looking forward to the pics.
cai876

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since used 12.5mm fuel lines all the way to the tank.

I have used one of the plugs either side as a place for the fuel line to go in.

This has made a massive difference. It's a flat plate heat exchanger. A definite must for anyone who wants to run a vehicle on veg well.
A pair of new batteries has also made starting the vehicle easy even if I forget to switch it to diesel. I now have 190AH and 1660CCA  Twisted Evil

I don't use the little facet pump anymore, as it didn't keep up with the injector pump at high revs. I have bought a much stronger facet a red top one. This will probably go on next winter.

The little facet has not gone to waste. I have listened to markymoans idea and I have bought a rad off an auto. It was only a tenner off eebuygum and it is in MUCH MUCH better condition than the one I had originally. I am using that to circulate oil from the tank and through the rad completely independent of the fueling system. I now have a heated tank  Cool

This is the old one.  Shocked

The vehicle working hard.

Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!
Browntea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice truck....shame about the red splodge on the side of it!!! Wink
keithj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 21:56    Post subject: working truck Reply with quote

Well done with the project, nice to see a working truck rather than a shiny................................like mine even though i dont clean it much.
Keith
rickbu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i give you two peices of advice from my own experience

the plastic inline filter does not really filter down to a low enough micron rating to protect your injector pump in the long term.. better if you fit a seperate REAL diesel filter , i recomend something that uses the lucas cav elements as they are cheap to replace , around 3.50 on eebuygum and you can get universal housings even with glass filter bowls if you want , i have a double one in parralell on mine with two glass bowls to maximise flow

i think a real diesel filter needs to be around 5 micron? i reckon that plastic ones about 20

the pvc piping you have used throughout will start to degrade , especially in areas where you have hot veg oil going through it first it will harden then it will start to seep , you might also find in the areas where it hardens it will begin to create air leaks around the fittings

other than that really great job i like what you have done circulating oil through the rad heat exchanger to heat the tank, and dont panic about the pipes ,  its about after around a year maybe almost two the pipes will begin to break down so start to plan for this .

whatever you do dont forget to switch back to diesel during the winter and park it up all night . you WILL wreck your IP i know from my own experience.

good job

Rick
cai876

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I have used one of those inline filters for veg for about 500 miles  Shocked . I might change the pipe that holds the warm veg, and keep the rest of it.

Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!
DYLAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browntea wrote:
Nice truck....shame about the red splodge on the side of it!!! Wink

Got to be better than an aunt bessies though. Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
rickbu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that will help a lot by changing all the pipes that carry the hot veg , are you looping your pumps return back to the heat exchanger or sending hot veg back to the tank?

when i was running my setups which i also used a pollak valve i had it setup so when running on diesel i was taking diesel from the tank through filter 1 and then pump then return to tank

but when switched to veg i had it from veg tank , to heat exchanger ,through filter 2 , through ip .back to t junction on intake of heat exchanger

that way your only drawing what you need from the veg tank not the whole cycle . takes load off the ip, lets the veg warm up better instead of sending warm veg back to the tank and trying to warm stone cold veg.

the only downside is any air leaks in a looped system can cause big problems , but because when on diesel you return to tank,a quick flick to diesel for a few seconds then back to veg will purge the air from the system out into the diesel tank.

plus you really want two fuel filters for each fuel, if you use one filter purge times are just rubbish because your waiting for the filter to get washed out with diesel . i realise you are already using two just thought id mention it incase anyone else reading is planning a veggie conversion

for filters i recomend something like this http://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/Delphi-C-A-V-DIESEL-Filter-watertrap-Tractor-Boat-/250904083624?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a6b0c7ca8

like i say once you have it the replacement elements are dirt cheap

i personally stopped using twin tank veg systems in favour of biodiesel because my trips to work are so short i didnt have time to get the motor warm , plus a lot of what i collect is solid fats so biodiesel is a better way for me at the moment , but when i used to drive 20 miles each way to work and back twin tank veggie conversion was the way to go!

i was running a twin tank conversion back when you were supposed to declare what you used and pay the tax . veggie oil was 59p brand new from tesco's , i used to buy a trolley full of 3 litre containers Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: