4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie DIY Service Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 0:25    Post subject: Newbie DIY Service Help Reply with quote

Hi all, its me again.

OK, so I have the stereo fitted, and sounding great (loud too).

I am an IT geek, and not experienced with car servicing at all. I have changed oil before and topped things up but thats about it.

Can someone please (for all of us newbies) detail the following instructions on how toos, porobly be good as a sticky

1. Change Air Filter (I know its fairly easy but for those who dont know how to)
2. Change Oil and Oil Filter (assuming it has one)
3. Change Fuel Filter (scary for me)
4. Change Sparks
5. Levels for PS/Oil/Water/Collant etc (what should they be at)
6. Any other simple to achieve servicing requirements

This is more from a cost perspective so if you can think of any other things that joe bloggs can do and save the cash instead of paying someone, would be a great help to me.

I am taking mine to Scotland in 2 weeks, and need to figure out the O/D issue thats common here, and also most if not all the above items before I go.

Thanks to all, this forum is by far the best one I have come accross, and everyone is great.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 0:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air filter is usually undo a couple of spring clips, lift out old one, insert new one, put top back on and do clips up.

Oil filter, run engine until warm and then turn off, locate sump plug and drain oil into suitable container, I use an old washing up bowl. Locate oil filter, on my 2.8 this has a bolt next to it that needs to be undone to drain the filter housing of oil, it's a pITA to get to and invariably drips oil onto the exhaust and crossmember. Undo oil filter using appropriate strap type wrench. Makes sure mounting flange is clean, oil the seal on a new filter lightly with clean oil and refit, tightening 1/4 to 1/2 a turn after it makes contact with the seal. Change two little rubber O ring seals on the drain bolt next to the filter and reinstall. Make sure sump plug is in a tightened to the appropriate torque, use new copper sealing washer of fitted. Refill oil until at mark. Start engine briefly until oil light goes out. Check level and top up again, redo until level stays at mark.

Fuel filter is more involved, but on mine, you undo the housing, remove the filter (it'll be full of diesel, remove the filter insert new one, fill with diesel, refit, then you have to undo a bleed screw on top of the filter housing and prime using the inbuilt pump until clean diesel come out of the bleed screw thus eliminating any air from the system.

All oil/water levels will have a max/min mark on the reservoir just make sure levels are close to the max mark.

Check tyre pressures, maybe rotate them around the vehicle to ensure even wear, grease/oil all locks and hinges, grease lubrication points on the suspension/drivetrain with appropriate grease. Check axle oil level and condition, if dirty drain and replace, check gearbox levels and top up/replace if neccesary, Top up washer fluid

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 18:08    Post subject: Re: Newbie DIY Service Help Reply with quote

spottedhaggis wrote:
Hi all, its me again.

OK, so I have the stereo fitted, and sounding great (loud too).

I am an IT geek, and not experienced with car servicing at all. I have changed oil before and topped things up but thats about it.

Can someone please (for all of us newbies) detail the following instructions on how toos, porobly be good as a sticky

1. Change Air Filter (I know its fairly easy but for those who dont know how to)
2. Change Oil and Oil Filter (assuming it has one)
3. Change Fuel Filter (scary for me)
4. Change Sparks
5. Levels for PS/Oil/Water/Collant etc (what should they be at)
6. Any other simple to achieve servicing requirements

This is more from a cost perspective so if you can think of any other things that joe bloggs can do and save the cash instead of paying someone, would be a great help to me.

I am taking mine to Scotland in 2 weeks, and need to figure out the O/D issue thats common here, and also most if not all the above items before I go.

Thanks to all, this forum is by far the best one I have come accross, and everyone is great.

Fuel filter change on 2000 3.0L T/D Trooper? Advice please, now I'm swimming in filters from Milners (great prices, almost instant delivery ... a real find!). Service booklet tells me change isn't required yet, but Pooper Trooper Owners know different. If I can fathom out how to use the secondary oil filters and fuel filters it'll save me building an extension to my garage for stocks of Pamper pads, various filters and bulk drums of 5w-30 grade oil .... all requisites for the stressed out Trooper owner!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: