QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

egr help

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimjeeves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:35    Post subject: egr help Reply with quote

Hi all

probably heard this a thousand times- I get black smoke on start up and under load/heavy acceleration while driving. I've had some experience with diesels and I'm sure I can smell that unburnt diesel smell.

This suugests sludgy injectors to me so I've chucked in some of that injector cleaner(not sure which brand is best- the one that causes lung damage if you swallow it seems to work best... Wynns?)

There seems to be some improvement - the engine doesn't seem to lack power in any case and the turbo doesn't seem too noisy so I'm concluding I have a sticky EGR valve or two.

I've seen the posts about this here and it looks like a fairly simple bit of spannering to blank them off. My question is this: is there a downside to doing this? We're off to the coldest part of Spain - Teruel (-15c last winter)
where I reckon I might need all the help I can get starting in the cold..

Question jimjeeves
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the EGR thing as my 2.8 doesn't have them but one tip is to sling a little petrol in the tank with the diesel, it stops it waxing up and makes it easier to start in extreme cold. My Trooper manual even gives you the proportions to use depending on temperature. I did -16C in mine in February in France and she started on the button if a little reluctant to pull at first but I think it was the fuel in the lines being a little thick. Another tip is to park it with it's backside into any wind and under cover if you can and maybe hang an old thick plastic sack over the grille to keep the wind out of the engine bay.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jim
With a healthy battery and the correct oil grade you'll have no problem starting.......

Blank them off........ this thread if you scroll through it includes some pics I posted when I did mine.

Jon.

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1397&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=blanking+egr+valves
jimjeeves

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:34    Post subject: egr valves - how can you tell if they're sticking? Reply with quote

Thanks guys - is it possible to tell if your egr valves are stuck( open or shut) from the outside? ie. by watching the little shaft thingy move up and down or not ?-in any case what activates it ? the engine warm up thingy on the dash? I'm sure my mischeivous toddler switched it on and off about 20 times in the first 5 minutes he sat in the drivers seat.

I'm sure I could find answers to all these questions if I could only master the search facility on this site. Am I stupid, or is it v. diff to perform a search?

And more - My iclination is to assume a smoky diesel engine is either worn out or isn't running properly but then so much of diy mechanics is about managing states of mind.(A friend of mine was given a mini, and as we gaily pottered around the Lakes up and down tricky mountain passes we'd smell the clutch or feel a misfire and laugh "who cares?". Of course the car never actually broke down.)

My point is this, once I got used to the 'agricultural' feel of the Bighorn, which is partly why I bought it, its a tool not a toy, and thought of it more like a truck and less like a car, the smoky start up doesn't seem so bad.
It passed the emissions test at a VSOA testing station and I think the dealer would have been too lazy to fill the fuel filter with injector cleaner or some other trick so -- here's hoping. Rolling Eyes
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much in the nature of diesels that they all produce some smoke on startup and under heavy acceleration, my wifes year old TD4 Freelander does. As long as you can still see the car behind I wouldn't worry too much. I would quite seriously either disconnect or cover the fast warmup switch as you come into winter as you really didn't want either of the two flaps (intake and exhaust) getting stuck closed. Either that or carry a bendy ruler and whack your child over the knuckles each time he/she presses it, I'm sure it'll get the message Wink

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
NickP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,it sounds like you're confusing the egr valves for the quick warm up flap in the exhaust! The Exhaust-Gas-Recirculation valves are there mainly for emissions and work on vacuum from the engine.
The switch on the dash operates the quick warm up flap in the exhaust which is designed to restrict the gases and make the engine work harder which in turn makes it warm up quicker.These flaps are prone to sticking which is why there ares posts regarding smoke problems.The engine will start easily in all weathers without the switch being used. I would think that the best way to stop it being used is to pull the wiring plug off of the back.Some black smoke is normal for any turbo diesel especially under acceleration.
jon willy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some earlier EGR bed time reading with a varied explanation of application and control methods..............

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

Jon.
davedgreat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading Jon, So basically if you can get the correct Exhaust gas recirculation tech info' for the Trooper/Bighorn, or a service centre that have the knowledge, it sounds like the engine runs more efficiently with the EGR's working correctly, other than blanking them off, using more fuel and raising the ambient Nox.
I suppose this is why some interfering people get at the Evil Twisted Evil 4x4 driver.
Oops look at the time!
time to make some smoke Razz
NickP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that the information given on that site is for petrol NOT diesel engines!!
jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not recommended to blank the EGR's off on petrol engined vehicles.

Jon.
davedgreat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so nickp, but the post mentions "NOX" this is produced by heavy metal fuels i.e. Diesel. NOT petrol
Grandad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a good explanation here http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm
Tourist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without self-detonation, a diesel engine will simply not work so self-detonated is a desirable thing to happen. On the other hand, Gasoline engine must avoid self-detonation or pinking. A fundamental  difference and hence the role of EGR in each are very difference. Those articles are about Gasoline engine.

In a gasoline engine, EGR is there to reduce NOX AND acts as a engine protection device in the sense that it prevents self-detonation as well. Therefore it MUST NOT be removed in a gasoline engine. To remove it is to cause more pre-detonation and pinking and we all know that's bad.

In a diesel engine, EGR is only there to reduce NOX and is NOT an protection device so IMO, can be safely de-activated. The only downside is the environment impact of more NOX being released.

My 2 pence.
wayneh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

just read a report about egr, alot of heavy commercials fitted with egr have been suffering premature engine failiure(i.e at about 400k instead of 900k). this as been blamed on carbon particles being put back into the engine and building up in areas where they can stick. so should i blank mine off Confused ?
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanked mine off over 2 years ago and gained some power, mpg and less smoke. It's not a cure all especially if the valves and vacuum are to spec, but on older motors you can't be sure. I have passed 3 MOT's on emissions OK as I don't think they measure NoX so on balance I reckon you couldn't do any worse.

If you are (rightly) concerned about the environment, sell the Troop. Only kidding Wink

But seriously if you are environmentally concerned I would ensure vacuum pump (on alternator) and EGR valves all working to spec and all will be OK anyway. Unfortunately,we all got caught up with the "must dump the EGR valves" a couple of years ago, but could still activate them again if necessary.

Personally I do less than 5K miles a year in it so it's not a major issue. Very Happy

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: