QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

egr help

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tourist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneh wrote:
just read a report about egr, alot of heavy commercials fitted with egr have been suffering premature engine failiure(i.e at about 400k instead of 900k). this as been blamed on carbon particles being put back into the engine and building up in areas where they can stick. so should i blank mine off Confused ?

One of the major criteria of a good diesel engine oil is the soot suspension ability of the oil. Mineral oil are considered superior than Fully Synthetic in this aspect.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneh wrote:
just read a report about egr, alot of heavy commercials fitted with egr have been suffering premature engine failiure(i.e at about 400k instead of 900k). this as been blamed on carbon particles being put back into the engine and building up in areas where they can stick. so should i blank mine off Confused ?

If I get premature engine failure at only 400,000 miles I'm gonna sue the a*s off Isuzu - you betcha.... Evil or Very Mad

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Don Carter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:11    Post subject: Re: egr help Reply with quote

jimjeeves wrote:
Hi all

probably heard this a thousand times-  I get black smoke on start up and under load/heavy acceleration while driving. I've had some experience with diesels and I'm sure I can smell that unburnt diesel smell.

This suugests sludgy injectors to me so I've chucked in some of that injector cleaner(not sure which brand is best- the one that causes lung damage if you swallow it seems to work best... Wynns?)

There seems to be some improvement - the engine doesn't seem to lack power in any case and the turbo doesn't seem too noisy so I'm concluding I have a sticky EGR valve or two.

I've seen the posts about this here and it looks like a fairly simple bit of spannering to blank them off. My question is this:  is there a downside to doing this? We're off to the coldest part of Spain - Teruel (-15c last winter)
where I reckon I might need all the help I can get starting in the cold..

Question jimjeeves

Before you get swept along in a tide of EGR valve issues, have you checked out the map sensor? This would possibly seem the first port of call. Regards Don
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35    Post subject: Re: egr help Reply with quote

Don Carter wrote:
jimjeeves wrote:
Hi all

probably heard this a thousand times-  I get black smoke on start up and under load/heavy acceleration while driving. I've had some experience with diesels and I'm sure I can smell that unburnt diesel smell.

This suugests sludgy injectors to me so I've chucked in some of that injector cleaner(not sure which brand is best- the one that causes lung damage if you swallow it seems to work best... Wynns?)

There seems to be some improvement - the engine doesn't seem to lack power in any case and the turbo doesn't seem too noisy so I'm concluding I have a sticky EGR valve or two.

I've seen the posts about this here and it looks like a fairly simple bit of spannering to blank them off. My question is this:  is there a downside to doing this? We're off to the coldest part of Spain - Teruel (-15c last winter)
where I reckon I might need all the help I can get starting in the cold..

Question jimjeeves

Before you get swept along in a tide of EGR valve issues, have you checked out the map sensor? This would possibly seem the first port of call. Regards Don

I think most issues of those disabling the EGR valves, concern the older engines, not the later elektrickly ones.

LTM 24
stueydo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of blocking the EGR valves off, would it be ok to remove then and the pipe that goes over the back of the engine, then blank out the holes?
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanked is blanked, I suppose them not being there wont make a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you wanted to go that far you may as well go to the breakers and get an inlet manifold off a uk trooper (3.1) and swap them over. the uk one dont have them on the 3.1 so no need to blank anythin appart from the pipe where it leaves the exaust.
stueydo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flower man wrote:
if you wanted to go that far you may as well go to the breakers and get an inlet manifold off a uk trooper (3.1) and swap them over. the uk one dont have them on the 3.1 so no need to blank anythin appart from the pipe where it leaves the exaust.

Not too sure about that.  Both my troopers are 3.1 uk models, and both have the EGR valves.
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trooper 2.8 doesn't have EGR's (the frontera does though), so the inlet from this can be put on the 3.1

Is this what you meant flowerman?

01553 845 945
the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup sorry Embarassed (early 2.8 not 3.1) one of my late posts Rolling Eyes
moglite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about UK Trooper or Frontera's. But I don't think I'd recommend swaping an inlet manifold.

2.8's don't have the top mounted intercooler, so the inlet manifold is radically different.

My 3.1 replacement engine came without an inlet manifold, to fit one, all the diesel injector pipes have to be removed and replaced, which whilst not difficult is a PITA.

Make/get made three plates, one for the exhaust manifold, two for the inlets, and take off the EGRs completely, and that exhaust pipe that runs around the back of the head.
Makes the engine bay much simpler.

Andy

My Isuzu Web Pages 
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

moglite wrote:

2.8's don't have the top mounted intercooler, so the inlet manifold is radically different.

My 2.8 does have the ERG's, but didn't have a TMI - one did bolt straight on though.

Does anyone with a (non frontera based) 2.8 have a photo of the inlet?

01553 845 945
the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

moglite wrote:
I don't know anything about UK Trooper or Frontera's. But I don't think I'd recommend swaping an inlet manifold.

My 3.1 replacement engine came without an inlet manifold, to fit one, all the diesel injector pipes have to be removed and replaced, which whilst not difficult is a PITA.

Make/get made three plates, one for the exhaust manifold, two for the inlets, and take off the EGRs completely, and that exhaust pipe that runs around the back of the head.
Makes the engine bay much simpler.

blimy, didnt think they were that different Shocked
the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found some metal off a side of an old computor. it has been painted so would i need to strip the paint as i imagine it would burn off inside the in let manifold ? there was dimentions on hear for the blanking plates but i cant find it for the life of me. has anyone got the link?its not in the sticky bit Sad  thanks all
the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad just had another look and i think it is aluminium. that wont take the heat will it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: