QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vacuum brake bleeders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 20:27    Post subject: Vacuum brake bleeders Reply with quote

I know there are a few el cheapo hand pump vacuum bleeder models about and a few more professional types, but I've been wanting to make my own. Has anyone made one with any success.

I was thinking of using the vacuum pump off my spare alternator, mounted in a drill or similar, but it needs an oil feed, which could be done, but is making too much work.

Then I thought about using the existing system on the Trooper, as it's already plumbed in and pulling vacuum.

What I was hoping to do was to cut the pipe that feeds the vacuum reservoir before the brake servo and fit an equal tee to give me a vacuum supply, then feed a length of hose from the equal tee to a QVF type catchpot to create my vacuum draw and a feed from the catchpot to the bleed nipple, the catchpot would be much the same as any decent vacuum bleeder catchpot, but easy to make with a sealable jar and some push fit fittings.

There would be very little to it really and it would make self bleeding and fluid changing very simple withe the engine just ticking over and the equal tee can just be capped when not in use,

I just don't know how much vacuum the system produces, obviously it doesn't pull full vacuum (30" Hg) or it would just flatten all the hoses, but will it pull enough to bleed the brakes and change the fluid, or shall I just stick with someone pumping the pedal and me opening and shutting the bleed nipple.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 20:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tipper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to your local car parts shop and buy the orange rubber brake bleeding pipe, it has one end blocked and two cuts to let the fluid out but not back in attach to bleed nipple, undo nipple pump brake ten times top up reservoir and repete untill happy. And this can be done single handed. Sorry forgot stick loose end of pipe in a jar or similar, if you can't find one let me know and I'll try and get one for you.
Wilky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used those with good results, I just wanted to make a vacuum bleeder, one of those just fancied doing it moments. I've just built a mountain bike with an engine in it for the same reason................no particular reason  Very Happy  Very Happy
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got plenty of work to do on my troop if your bored and running out of things to do  Laughing  Laughing
Wilky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a winch that's been sat in the garage nearly a year to fit to mine and a pair of H/D sill covers I had fabbed up to fit as well, need to get a shift on myself  Very Happy
MikT725

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilky i had exactly the same idea as you i made my vacuum bleeder from an airtight tupperware pot some clear hose a one way valve and a needle valve, i got all the fittings and tube from The Ranges aquarium dept (stuff used for fish tank air bubblers) ill post a pic, i also fit an old vacuum guage i had kicking about, i connected into the vacuum system and must say as a vacuum bleeder it worked really well but the one BIG problem i did have was the bleeder drawing air down the bleed nipple threads !! i even took all the bleed nipples out and sealed the threads with PTFE it then worked ok.
Wilky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know Mick, obviously plenty of vacuum then, maybe a small control valve to reduce suction so it's not drawing through the threads will help, mine's due a service reasonably soon, so will have a play then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: