4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Coolant Loss 3.1TD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck RSB. I will be watching with interest, as it is likely that I'll also to have to go down the same path (http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2194 and http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2333). The last time I took a head off an engine was 20 years ago - it was the somewhat smaller engined Chevette 1300.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 13:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RSB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestins where I might get the head bolts from? - Presume isuzu dealer can get them, but I suspect at silly price.
NickP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever you get the head gasket from should do the head bolts as well. if not your local Vauxhall dealer will have them for a monterey.
NickP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbaker wrote:
Good luck RSB. I will be watching with interest, as it is likely that I'll also to have to go down the same path (http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2194 and http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2333). The last time I took a head off an engine was 20 years ago - it was the somewhat smaller engined Chevette 1300.

Jbaker yours is a totally different design to the 3.1 as it's got two camshafts operating 16valves which are adjusted by shims instead of rocker arms and is electronically controlled etc,etc. Whereas the 3.1 has a single cam with 8 valves operated by pushrods (similar to a chevette) and is mechanically injected etc,etc.
NickP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked them up and the GM part no for the bolts is: 94455667 you need 18 of them.
jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick ..... Where ever you are gleaning the info from does it not give any re-use / replace tolerances for the head bolts Question Question

Jon.
NickP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no spec on them on my disc! Perhaps Suzu can advise Question Question Question
RSB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice.

However, I spoke to the service dept at my local isuzu main dealer, who told me that the head bolts on the early 3.1td are not 'stretch' bolts and there is no recommendation to change them when changing the head gasket. Also there is no guidance for checking their length or anything.

As these bolts are £3.77 each plus VAT (£80!) this sounds good to me. But was the guy I spoke to talking sense?

Does the fact that final tightening figures in the manual are in degrees rather than torque settings give any clues?

The manual is for 98 onwards. Is it possible that these figures could be wrong for an older engine?

Really sorry to drag this one out, but I want to get this right - I don't want to do the job twice.

thanks
lotustower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not sure change them. It's better safe than sorry, especially as it will be in bits.

All bolts stretch and swan neck when done up tight, and the tighter they are the tougher it gets hence thicker bolts when there is more load. Particularly in the horrible environment of the engine, as all the different metals expand and contract around them at different rates. The mroe they are undone done up the worse it gets, but the older they are the greater the chance of metal fatigue.
jon willy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello RSB .... I'm not convinced the term as referred to here as stretch bolts is applicable .. they are a different concept.

We are discussing the re-use of bolts that having seen service may have stretched .......... I have searched without success for some data I had when I replaced a head gasket on a Mercedes Commercial Truck last year ......... it gave an acceptable length measurement of the head bolts in this instance for re-use when comparing against new ..... the tolerance was in mm's as opposed to fractions of mm's so it was a tape measure indication and not a micrometer .......... I found the used bolts to be exactly the same length as a new bolt, on the advice of the dealer in your case I would re-use the bolts, ensuring they are clean and the tapped hole is free fom any debris.

Jon.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd throw the damned things away and use studs anyway. Far more accurate torque figures, that's if they are available. If they ever did any competition, I'll bet there's some out there somewhere!

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime - it's always better to replace the bolts, especially if you have had an unexplained head gasket failure.

jon willy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:
I'd throw the damned things away and use studs anyway. Far more accurate torque figures, that's if they are available. If they ever did any competition, I'll bet there's some out there somewhere!

I would disagree on this one H1...... to use studs would be against the manufacturers spec and introduce a further interface ie thread into the head and the threaded portion for the nut, it could be said that if we change a wheel more than four times do we replace the wheel nuts and studs Question Not quite the same tightening torque so have allowed a slightly longer service.

Jon.
lotustower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the temp issues are the same on the wheel studs and nuts. I guess it is personal choice, and whether the true cause of failure is known, rarely I guess on a head gasket unless you spend more than the cost of the bolts and a new gasket having it all checked/machined, and then it was probably a duff gasket which was damaged on installation!
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right for road use, but having replaced bolts with studs on high compression competition engines, I found they torque up far more evenly and accurately without binding and you're not straining or distorting the block around the cylinders as head bolts do.

It is fun trying to get the head sitting on about 18 studs though!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: