2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

CHECK YOUR ANTIFREEZE!!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the bandit
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 0:37    Post subject: CHECK YOUR ANTIFREEZE!!!! Reply with quote

I assumed that the previous owner had put some in. Well he hadnt and I didnt check.

Looks like the bottom of the radiator had frozen which caused a very rapid overheat and loads of steam under the bonnet. Have sorted it now but if youve just bought one please make that your first point of call.

I think I was quite lucky.

Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 0:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the pink stuff and 50/50 mix at the moment, I think you was very lucky not to break something and cheers for the heads up  Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just got a Bighorn and I too suspect there is very little antifreeze. I've parked the car up until Thursday when I can get it done as I'm terrified of what this weather might do! It's typical that people ride around with none and nothing happens, and I'll go *beep* something if I do the same!
volksjim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

well worth a check was -20 here last night Mad  had to fight a polar bear to get my jacket back this morning too Very Happy
the bandit
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

May well be worth for our group to post a big flashing sign on the website or an enmasse(?) email from a moderator???.

Yes i thank god nothing is broken. Neither pipes nor radiator nor the essential for driving ... the engine seem to worste for wear. Tribute to Isuzu I guess.

Andy
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made it a sticky so it stays at the top  Smile
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
Have just got a Bighorn and I too suspect there is very little antifreeze. I've parked the car up until Thursday when I can get it done as I'm terrified of what this weather might do! It's typical that people ride around with none and nothing happens, and I'll go *beep* something if I do the same!

Days after it happened to me I know 4 friends/relatives its happened to. Was happy to pass on the info to them to help them out.

A big deal when on the way to work and spend 2-3 hours waiting for breakdown to recover you( if you are lucky).

Andy
keithj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I have made it a sticky so it stays at the top  Smile

Mark, just to add to the sticky i checked mine, the motorhome and my Daughters a couple of weeks back, I dont use a tester I just put a sample in the freezer for a couple of days if it's still fluid it's OK.
Twister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done mine to a 50/50 mix with the Halfords pink stuff. Watching her closely at the moment, as I've never put that much anti-freeze in anything  Shocked .

"Tongue-tied and Twisted; just an Earth-bound misfit,  I..."
 -  PF

LTM # 000002
Slate
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a good point. I should check mine too as I've no idea if its been topped up by the previous owner.
Thanks for the reminder Smile
Sir Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little life to this thread I though it best to point out that anti freeze does much more than stop the coolant freezing in cold weather. Due to the addition of a cocktail of other ingredients it also protects against ordinary corrosion of the various metals used in a modern car engine's construction, but also from electrolytic corrosion which is a product of using so many dissimilar materials. That's why the bottle also uses the words 'and Summer Coolant' as in previous decades motorists would drain the engine at the end of Winter and refill with plain tap water.

Personally I'm not convinced by the claims of much longer AF life using OAT or HOAT fluids as in some older engines they can cause more (and different) problems than they cure. I certainly won't be using any of them in the all alloy engine in The Old Girl!
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little reassurance to Twister's point - many Freezers have an external control so that one can see and set the storage temperature.

Ours is set at -18°C and and I put in 2 plastic bottles containing samples of water and my coolant. The WATER bottle is, of course, solid and my COOLANT is STILL FLUID!!!
rich31td

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that higher concentrations of Anti-Freeze (Ethylene Glycol) reduces the efficiency of the cooling system which in a 3.1td is all ready adequate at best.

This is because Glycol has a lower specific heat capacity than water, meaning that less energy is required to raise the temperature of the coolant.
A 50% concentration of Glycol reduces the heat capacity by 20%

Glycol does however have a higher boiling point than water but not high enough to overcome its lesser capacity for heat.

Water = 100c.
Glycol 50/50 mix = 107c.

I tend to run 30% concentration of glycol all year round which provides protection against freezing down to -16c and a 10% decrease in heat capacity over water alone.

Where as 50% concentration provides protection down to -37c and decrease in heat capacity by 20%.

We are unlikely to see temperatures as low as -37c here in the UK so why trade cooling system efficiency for protection at such low temperatures?

We also need an adequate concentration of Anti-Freeze all year round as it also contains corrosion inhibitors which water alone does not contain.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich - I've checked your figures and they seem accurate - but I fear you're taking a chance for NO GAIN.

When 50% mix is recommended, it's partly because 10% either way will leave a car well protected - whereas if one makes a 10% error from 30% that could leave the car dangerously exposed to frost - as a 20% mix is safe only to -8°C.

We're ALL rather prone to making mistakes - this is a risk NOT worth taking! If more cooling for the engine is required - just turn on the cab-heater!
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point of note here.

When the pure water freezes it expands (much like your water pipes outside your house). This can cause other issues like busting core (freeze) plugs. Major pain in the arris to change. Obviously if the antifreeze is present the water doesn't freeze and expand etc etc.

Without being antagonistic here. If you go with a 1:3 (antifreeze:water) mix of cheapo blue stuff from any auto factors in your 2.8 or 3.1 then you cannot go wrong. It should last a couple of years before you have to do it again. £15-20 should get you 5 litres of the stuff in a single bottle. Split that down into 15 litres using the level gauge on the side of the bottle (1.6 litres of antifreeze to 3.4 litres of water) and that should last you 4 years. Not a bad investment.

I would like to point out that the tempratures of -18 we feel on the outside are lower than the temperatures actually inside the the block of the engine. While not perfect, the block does give the anti-freeze some element of insulation from the outside weather. My point is 1:3 mix is fine for the UK ... unless you plan on visiting the northern parts of Scandinavia.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: