4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2.9 td wont rev past 3g till its warm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a new shape diesel Cherokee and this was the same, pulled abysmally when cold, we use a couple of side streets to do a quick circuit to turn around and the first bit is very steep and it would be totally flat, no acceleration and wouod barely struggle up the hill. The main dealer told us this was normal until the engine was wamrm, but who can always sit and wait for a diesel to warm up fully in the winter? If you have a secure drive like I do now you could always considerjust letting it warm up locked or even fit an engine pre-heater on a timer like a webasto or kenlowe.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

chippy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
We had a new shape diesel Cherokee and this was the same, pulled abysmally when cold, we use a couple of side streets to do a quick circuit to turn around and the first bit is very steep and it would be totally flat, no acceleration and wouod barely struggle up the hill. The main dealer told us this was normal until the engine was wamrm, but who can always sit and wait for a diesel to warm up fully in the winter? If you have a secure drive like I do now you could always considerjust letting it warm up locked or even fit an engine pre-heater on a timer like a webasto or kenlowe.

thanks for that,
yep that would work and I would be ok with that if I new it was not a fault waiting to get worse....trouble is I have a house in a remote village in Hungary and plan to use the trooper to go back and forth to it, next time is sometime in november (and its pretty cold there then) im hoping it doesn't get worse or not start at all....
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MK 1 started OK in minus 16C last winter after sitting out al night albeit with a touch more smoke than normal. I guess the first thing to check is whether your heaterplugs are all working correctly. As to the engine pre-heater you can get ones that actualy burn diesel to work so don't need an electrical hookup. I think Eberspacher is the big brand of fuel burners. This way you save a lot of wear in starting a cold engine and have a nice warm heater circuit, some kits also even allow you to switch the demister on by timer so the cabin is warm and the screen demisted when you get in.

http://www.coldchain.com/pksel.asp?CatID=20&PkID=104

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
jon willy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chippy ...... While my Trooper is the 3.1TD, having scanned this forum for some time I'm sure I recollect that your model has an issue with the oil grade, a heavier grade oil creates problems .. may account for having to wait for it to warm up.... just food for thought.

Jon.
steveforster9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chippy

My 3.0 isn't the best when cold. It runs a little rough for 2-3 minutes & then all is well. It already runs 5/30 fully synthetic. I had just put it down to the oil when cold not being as effictive at pressurising the injectors.

Not much help I'm afraid Confused

PS - Welcome to the forum 8)

Steve

1999 3.0DT LWB
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

had my 2.5 diesel turbo transit 4 years its even worse than your trooper lumpie as hell from cold but starts first flick of the key just will not rev for the first few minuets i have learned to live with it so when i got the trooper 15 months ago it did not seem odd to me i was preconditioned to the wait the transit being so reliable i thought this was normal for tuned turbo diesels the transit being ex police riot van i assumed it to be chipped. hope this is a better way of replying to your ? mate frank
NickP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safest thing to do would be to get friendly with your local Isuzu service manager and see if he'll get your trooper plugged in for a check on the relevant sensors and ask him if it's normal.

STEVE,it sounds like there may be a problem with yours too it's not normal for a 3.0 to run rough at all!! If anything it should be quite the opposite!
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ya nickp there are some people that say its not normal for a 3.0 ltr to run at all frank 1 off the members off the 3.0ltr appreciation society Laughing
chippy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your ideas, I am just putting up with it at the moment and letting it warm up on the drive...I will change the oil just in case and maybe get it put on a tech2 unless these dont use that and only Isuzu have the tool (wouldn't surprise me)
thanks again...oh yeah on the good side I wondered what these were like on diesel and filled up the tank then drove 70 miles and topped it up and just squeezed a tenner in...around 35 to the gallon sounds a bit to good to be true but I wont complain.
NickP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank sucevic wrote:
hi ya nickp there are some people that say its not normal for a 3.0 ltr to run at all frank 1 off the members off the 3.0ltr appreciation society Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
steveforster9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, thanks Nick - got me worried now Shocked - its been like that since we bought it 3 years ago!!!

I know that its has has the campaign work done on the injectors etc. Could it be anything to do with injectors needing coding???

It is going in for its service in the next couple of weeks, I'll get them to check it out.

Cheers

1999 3.0DT LWB
steveforster9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that its has has the campaign work done

Tart... obviously I meant has HAD... Bliddy fingers.

1999 3.0DT LWB
jon willy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveforster9 wrote:
Quote:
I know that its has has the campaign work done

Tart... obviously I meant has HAD... Bliddy fingers.

Tart HHhhMMMmmm ...... are you making a bid for the forums cross dresser when there's a vacancy Wink Wink Wink

Jon.
steveforster9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait 'til you see the pictures, Jon Laughing Laughing

1999 3.0DT LWB
jon willy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveforster9 wrote:
Just wait 'til you see the pictures, Jon Laughing Laughing

OK Luv..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Jon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: