QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Idiot's guide to BIO diesel!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my personal experiences since starting to use filtered WVO over 4 years ago:

Running a 1995 Citroen Xantia 1.9 turbo diesel with 250 K on the clock.
The mpg was the same as on DERV @ 50mpg. Started first turn of the key Winter & Summer. Admittedly the 2 Winters of 08/09 and 09/10 were quite mild with little in the way of heavy frosts. At the time I used a cheap series of bucket and sock filters running into a 45 gallon drum as an intermediate settling tank and adding 10% unleaded and 10% DERV to help thin the oil before final filtering.

Running a Toyota Estima 2.2 turbo diesel with 180 K (kilometers) on the clock.
Since it's a much heavier car (1.6 tonnes unladen) I get 30mpg average down to 17 mpg when towing a 1 tonne caravan at 60+ (very + at times  Rolling Eyes ) although I can see 24mpg if taking things somewhat easier when towing. Only had 2 minor problems. A minor leak from the injector pump. a full set of seals for £30 soon saw to that. Repeated 'failures to proceed' due to airlocking in the fuel lines. New fuel hoses for £5 cured that immediately. I started out using the original set of filters, but have since progressed to a pumped system with 2 of 10" filters & housings.

These days I throw in all my used engine oil and ATF after the first settling/decanting stage and add 5% unleaded to the mix. After a decent settling time I just run the lot through the big filters into smaller drums for topping up purposes or even to take along in the back of the bus on longer trips. Surprisingly this mix stayed very fluid even during the coldest of days/nights all through the Winter of 2010/11 and the car started with just a single use of the glow plugs. It's passed the emissions part of the MOT twice running on it and the tester commented on how unusually low they were!

The consensus of opinion is that adding 5-10% unleaded to any SVO a week or two before pouring it into the car (give it a good shake to ensure it mixes well) will not only thin it a little, but will also break up some of the long chain molecules making it even less viscous and raising the cetane level a little. On many occasions I've had to run both cars on just this mix alone with no appreciable DERV in the tank and detected no difference in performance. Some people I know run their cars on nothing else!

As per previous warnings I run my cars with an added inline filter to catch the crud that will scour out of the fuel system and carry another spare one along with a spare main fuel filter in case of difficulties on the road.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: