4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4JX1 Injector Problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp_ace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:32    Post subject: 4JX1 Injector Problem Reply with quote

Hi

I have a 3.0 Diesel Bighorn 1999 with a 4XJ1 engine.
I have got fuel passing into the oil.
I have removed the injectors and found that the 'O' rings are starting to perrish.
I want to replace the sleeves but I cannot get the old ones out.
Does anyone know how to do this or if there is a tool for doing this job that I can buy.
Any help will be much appriciated.
Many thanks

Martin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Martin. Sounds like you caught it before it "ran away" You will certainly get some replies on this one....Stand by!

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
mp_ace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hard1

It did start to run away but stopped. When It cooled down I started it up again and it ticked over OK with loads of smoke comming from the exhaust. I then turned the ignition off and it stopped ok. Im hoping there is no serious damage done.

Regards Martin
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have caused the pistons to pick-up in the bores already by the sound of it unfortunately. If you try a search for "Injector Sleeves" for example there are literally hundreds of threads on this subject including a few that managed to put the muscle on IM to get them to pay for the repairs! There was also a strainer and turbo issue as well together with the sleeves. Also look under the recal Forum. Isuzu ran some campaigns on these items but not recalls!. There's also a couple, of professional Isuzu mechanics on here (who shall remain nameless). All in all, a helpful knowedgeable bunch. Good luck..

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
NickP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tool for removing the sleeves but I'm afraid to say that there's a fair chance that the bores will be scored if the engine started to run away! It's probably worth changing the sleeves and seals and giving it a try though.
andrewk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:
there are literally hundreds of threads on this subject including a few that managed to put the muscle on IM to get them to pay for the repairs! There was also a strainer and turbo issue as well together with the sleeves. Also look under the recal Forum. Isuzu ran some campaigns on these items but not recalls!.

A couple of points:-

1) You don't need muscle to get International Motors to pay for the injector sleeve replacement, turbo or oil stainer replacement. As I understand it (after asking IM), they do it F.O.C. for all UK Troopers that require the fix. They sure did mine.

2) I am also aware that IM have paid for fixing blown engines too. A friend (of a friend) had a blown engine. IM paid to have the Trooper recovered to Birmingham and fitted a new replacement engine F.O.C.

3) The folks who missed out on the F.O.C. repairs were those who didn't have their Troopers serviced at franchise dealers, in the main, as "service campaigns" are (so I was told by IM) undertaken by franchise dealers automatically when vehicles are brought in for service. Grey imports would not, of course, be covered by IM's new car warranty - so they would be at much higher risk.

Cheers
Andrew
IsuzuNutter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your motor is from Japan, you are out of luck with any warranty claim I reckon.
andrewk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

IsuzuNutter wrote:
As your motor is from Japan, you are out of luck with any warranty claim I reckon.

All Troopers are from Japan - but some are official Isuzu imports via International Motors (Isuzu UK) and are covered by their warranty, whereas others are grey imports and are not covered.

If the vehicle was bought as new in the UK, then the importer/dealer (whoever they are) should still be liable, as the vehicle was not of merchantable quality.

Cheers
Andrew
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewk and mine which did not have full service history was 6 years old and had done 50 thousand miles frank
andrewk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank sucevic wrote:
andrewk and mine which did not have full service history was 6 years old and had done 50 thousand miles frank

The injector seals, turbo and oil strainer on mine were done at its 72K service, when it was 4 1/2 years old.

Cheers
Andrew
mp_ace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 18:39    Post subject: Spoke to Dealers Reply with quote

Hi

I spoke to IM today and they told me that they only support UK Troopers, was worth a try anyway.
I made a tool today and extracted all 4 sleeves, but as I did all four cylinders filled with coolant. I hope this is not due to damage, I assume that the coolant runs between the 'O' rings on the outer of the sleeve. If anyone cane confirm this I would appreciate it.
Anyway I have turned the engine over with the sleeves out to disperse any water in the bores I hope this was the right thing to do.
Thanks for all the kind replies

Martin
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope all goes well mate frank
suzu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 19:03    Post subject: Re: Spoke to Dealers Reply with quote

mp_ace wrote:
Hi

I spoke to IM today and they told me that they only support UK Troopers, was worth a try anyway.
I made a tool today and extracted all 4 sleeves, but as I did all four cylinders filled with coolant. I hope this is not due to damage, I assume that the coolant runs between the 'O' rings on the outer of the sleeve. If anyone cane confirm this I would appreciate it.
Anyway I have turned the engine over with the sleeves out to disperse any water in the bores I hope this was the right thing to do.
Thanks for all the kind replies

Martin

they are cooled by the coolant so no damage there and cranking the engine would be the only way to get rid of it so no damage there either, just remember to line up the holes in the sleeves with the holes in the head and use an old sleeve to knock them in again with a light spray of wd40 on the seals to prevent them from rolling over.
when it's all assembled it will take some cranking unless you fill the oil gallery first and be prepared for some smoke!
when it's running pull the dipstick and check the tube for smoke, if theres smoke then it means it's had the bores. if not place your hand over it and you should feel a very slight vacuum this means all should be ok. but keep checking the oil level because it may still rise this could be down to dodgy injectors or a fault with the head.
IsuzuNutter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewk wrote:
All Troopers are from Japan - but some are official Isuzu imports via International Motors (Isuzu UK) and are covered by their warranty, whereas others are grey imports and are not covered.

Correct, but Bighorn is from Japanese market
sjp63

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 4-5 months ago my dealer told me there was a new and "final" campaign coming along on injectors. Heard nothing yet. Anyone else heard this??

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: