2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fault finding the SOTF system.

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are permanantly locked but the left N/S disconects from the diff.
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wilky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped my wheels over yesterday and had a quick look at the fixed hubs, they look like the flange with the wheel studs is attached to the hubs, so to swap them over to FWH's, I guess you'd need a flange from a Trooper that has either auto or FWH's, is that right or is there a joint in the flange, I only had a cursory glance as I was chasing time.

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the photos I put on the previous page of the various hubs you can see the fixed domed hub is held on with 6 bolts. I believe you undo those 6 bolts and remove the domed hub cover. Then if you look at the picture of the manual hub there is a silver part with 6 holes in it. That silver part and all the internal gubbins replace the domed part you have just removed. It does make the hub stick out more which is why you need wheels with a open centre bore.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just the 6 allen bolts and a circlip on the driveshaft, locking hubs come with longer bolts.  Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must learn to type quicker  Laughing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol ... its turning into a race between us to respond to questions Very Happy

Deceased

Wilky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the dome cap off before to check if they were fixed hubs and the dome just looks like a grease cap, it's just like a tin hat, with the cap off the shaft is visible with the circlip but the shaft obviously doesn't protrude enough to fit a FWH, but if you look at the pics you put up, you can see another ring of bolts between the wheel studs, I'm guessing if you whip off the circlip and undo those six bolts the fixed hub will come off, but also the flange with the wheel studs will come off as well, which is why I wondered if the flange had a joint in it that I didn't notice as it was a quick peep to check if they were fixed hubs.

I'll have a better look in the week as I'll be swapping my spare wheels on, I've just had my spare Special Tracks swapped over for a play next weekend so I can see what it's like compared to my Sammy.

I wouldn't mind putting FWH's on, mainly as a get you home fix if you break a shaft, and I'd prefer Aisin ones as I like how easy they are to rebuild, but if the SOTF works as you say, evrything should be tickety boo. Very Happy
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a lot easier than you think

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped it today to have a looksee, bolts out, tin cap off, remove dirclip, quick tap with a soft hammer and the flange splits in two, I just couldn't see the joint when I looked first time, once the outer flange is off, plenty shaft exposed to fit FWH's, I have a spare set of Aisins, but even though the internals are interchangable, the hub body is different for the Toyota/Suzuki fitment, but I'm happy now  Very Happy

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ... the Isuzu has 17 splines on the hubs ... Suzuki etc have more. Will point out that the Vauxhall Frontera uses the Isuzu drive train so manual hubs from them will just bolt on as well.

Deceased

EdTBroom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briliant Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Given the very aggressive environment the various solenoids and connectors live  in  (check out the corrosion/rust) its amazing the system remains even remotely reliable over the years.  Surprised  Surprised  Surprised

Think i will stick with my liitle rod Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation

EdT
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the original mechanical system as well ... with the expertly bodgeneered SOTF system of leaving the front manual hubs connected and throwing the lever when I need 4wd. No need to reverse to unlock the front hubs as well. Very Happy

Deceased

DYLAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope someone can point me in the right direction, I have been working on Phil's old Trooper it's a 98 3.1 SOTF but no button. When we picked it up from Phil the green 4wd indicator was stuck on so today with limited equipment i set too checking it, First i actually took the actuator off the front axle to check it was working and it is,

I then tested the solonoids with a 12V feed and they can be heard clicking,

Next i didn't have a multimeter so i with the ignition on got a small led and stuck the wires in the blocks for the solonoids and both of them lit the led Confused  Is this because the trooper puts the 4wd lights on at ignition? so really need to test with the motor running? (didn't think of this at the time)

I then took the vacuum pipes of the actuator and sucked the left one (looking from the front) and bingo green 4wd light out, I tried to put it in 4wd after i replaced the vac pipes but nothing so i took them off again and sucked to put it back in 4wd which worked but again it wouldn't come out on it's own, Am i missing something simple?

Tomorrow i plan to check the vacuum tank and change the rest of the pipes that haven't been changed already. Just wondered if i was heading in the right direction or barking aimlessly up the wrong tree?

Just got to say while i'm here these posts of yours Rhanagar are second to none Wink Thankyou.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off sorry for not getting back sooner. Secondly thanks for the praise. It took some time to get right and lots of investigation.

Now to your problem. I assume you can hear the rear actuator clunking into and out of 4wd as you are getting shifting lights on and lights off when moving the front actuator (both need to work for the dash light to do its thing) Now the fact you are getting clicking solenoids, the actuator seems to move quite freely when sucked (you did fill the actuator housing with oil when you refitted it didn't you, or the parts will wear and the actuator binds) and the actuator switch is doing its thing leads me to think you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Unfortunatly there is no easy way to find it. You have to go through each pipe one by one and check for leaks. Sometimes its just the ends that get old and crack and letting air in. A quick way would be to snip the last 10mm off and rejoin. The best way is to replace all of them one by one from a 6m length of nice new 3mm id silicone hose

http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/index.php?cPath=29_91

Best thing to do is to get a different colour to the old knackered black so you know which pipe you have replaced and do them one by one. For the time being pull both hoses off with the engine running and feel for a vacuum on the hoses. You should have a vacuum on only one of them. I believe the solenoids should be energised but cannot remember for sure. When the button is pressed on the dash for 4wd the vacuum should shift to the other pipe and the solenoids should also either gain or lose charge.

Deceased

DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I didn't get round to looking at it today so it's a tomorrow job now, This one has no button so is it just the lever shifting that swaps the solonoids over (i presume through a switch on the gearbox?) I too think it will be a leak but a nagging doubt tells be it could be a switch somewhere. thanks again, I think fully understanding this system is the key to repairing it and your posts certainly help people understand it, Thanks again.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: