All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fault finding the SOTF system.

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ... meant to say lever not button ... principle is the same though Very Happy

My first thought is vacuum leak. Vacuum pipes can be got from Eblag, the link I posted, and auto performance shops in your local area.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your time, I'll crack on with it later and keep you posted Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
zul69

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr Rhanagar and all friens in here,

First of all, thanks to Mr Rhanagar for the lengthy info on the Isuzu SOTF 4x4 system. Very concise and well written.

I own an Isuzu D-Max (what it is called here in Malaysia). I think it is called Denver Max in the US and UK. 2006 model, 3 litre diesel, manual trans with SOTF on 4x4.

I have problem shifting from either 2W to 4H or 4L. It sort of stucked in 2W even if I press 4WD on the button (4H or 4L). The 4H (or 4L) light keeps blinking and it does not shift into 4WD.

My question is: Does DMax use similar system to that of the Trooper?

Anyway, I will read through you lengthy posting and see what similarities it has.

Thank you so much Mr Rhanagar.

Zulkifli
Malaysia
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive the D-Max is similar if not the same. Either way have a read and compare it to your system.

Thank you for the comments.

Rhanagar

Deceased

markymoan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if its all button on the Dmax and there is a way to reset the system (not sure how apart from holding buttons), or the 4wd ecu is shot  Confused
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it can be reset it should say so in the manual ... well you would of thought it would.

Deceased

zul69

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have read though Mr Rhanagar post concerning the matter. It seems that the Dmax have slightly different to that of Trooper. I went under the Dmax today to see the things, and they look about the same.

My problem now is that the 4H symbol keep blinking/flashing (like it is tryning to engage 4WD, but it did not). It is still driveable in 2WD mode. But the flashing 4H sysbol is getting on my nerve so I want to cure that if possible.

I have surf through many websites etc from last night. Went on Oz forum last night (directed by someone in here) and some of them were discussing about having to reset the 4WD ECU which is under the driver's seat (RHD). Undo the seat and I can see the ECU under there, with 2 sets of wire connectors going into it. But nobody explained clearly about how to go about resetting the ECU. Any idea guys? Or anyone has done this before?

Many thanks

Zul
Malaysia
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know on the later models that you press and hold all 3 buttons for 20 seconds, on yours I think you have to bridge the wiring  Confused
But looking at some posts it could be the motor.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beyond me, so will leave it to Markymoan.

Deceased

richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

zul69 wrote:
Hello All,

I have read though Mr Rhanagar post concerning the matter. It seems that the Dmax have slightly different to that of Trooper. I went under the Dmax today to see the things, and they look about the same.

My problem now is that the 4H symbol keep blinking/flashing (like it is tryning to engage 4WD, but it did not). It is still driveable in 2WD mode. But the flashing 4H sysbol is getting on my nerve so I want to cure that if possible.

I have surf through many websites etc from last night. Went on Oz forum last night (directed by someone in here) and some of them were discussing about having to reset the 4WD ECU which is under the driver's seat (RHD). Undo the seat and I can see the ECU under there, with 2 sets of wire connectors going into it. But nobody explained clearly about how to go about resetting the ECU. Any idea guys? Or anyone has done this before?

Many thanks

Zul
Malaysia

might be best to start your own thread so it catches the eye of those who know  Wink
DannyZRC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:31    Post subject: SOTF not working, but does not display error. Reply with quote

hey all, Myself and my dealer have been wrestling with the 4wd on my trooper that I recently acquired.
2000 US model, 3.5 V6 4L30e, TOD

the gist of my issue is that my front axle fails to engage when in 4wd modes, but the computer systems do not realize this, no errors are displayed and my TOD display shows normal, even showing the varying clutch activation for the front axle.

I have a specific question about the ball switch on the front axle that senses the disconnect's engagement: Is the switch cycled during operation, or does it maintain one state or another that corresponds with the actuator's position?

Any answers to my specific question, or thoughts in general on my fault are appreciated. For those who want a more complete look at my issue, I originally posted requesting input at planetisuzoo (link omitted, was prompted by the system that I cannot post links)
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ball switch in question is either on or off. The ball gets pushed in depending on the postion of the actuator. If you take it off and put a multimeter on the terminals in continuity mode, then press the ball in it should make/break the conuity. Sometimes they can stick so squirt some WD40 on the ball and push it in several times to free it up and give it a thorough clean. Just remember that you need to have the copper washer on it when putting it back on or it will always be pushed in and the 4WD ECU will not get the right signal thinking it has failed.

Deceased

DannyZRC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the switch itself is on or off, what I'm asking is does the switch permanently swap states, or does it pulse during the actuation.

in your example of the absent washer and the ball being stuck in, does this yield the 4wd system thinking it's stuck in one of the two positions, or does it tell the 4wd system that the switch is faulty?
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its doesn't pulse at all. You have a 12 volts feed to the switch which is instantly changed as the actuator moves. The actuator then stays in that position until you disengage the 4wd.

If the washer is missing the ball is constantly pressed in. It thinks the system is stuck in 4wd, so when you come out of 4wd it thinks the actuator is stuck in position and then the dash light flashes.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add the 4wd ECU has no way of telling if the switches are faulty. All it does is look for incorrect positions of the actuators using the switches. If it believes either one of the actuators is in the wrong position then the dash light will flash indicating it has found an issue.

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: