Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fault finding the SOTF system.

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTTT265

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Im new to the forum and Isuzus, probably should post a new topic, but I have found this one the most informative on the net with regards to the SOTF.

I have a 97,  3.1 manual diesel trooper, SOTF, and lever actuated transfer.

Since I have had the truck you have to stop to select 4H, having all the wheels of the ground, I came to the conclusion that the front actuator
was stuck engaged.

2H rear wheels only spin, 4H front wheels spin. I broke a CV 4 wheeling, the 4wd worked fine and did seem to go in and out of 2H and 4H
as long as you were stationary.

My problem started when I removed the fixed flange front hubs and went to manual hubs, still in 2H driving around, every now and then a loud grinding noise would start
from a few seconds to maybe 30 seconds. Then quiet again, sometimes not at all, and seemed more likely when cold.

I realised in the last couple of days that, running in 4H in stopped the noise hubs unlocked, or 2H is quiet hubs locked.

If the transfer case is not spinning the front shaft ( 2H ), and hubs are unlocked, why would it grind, maybe a stupid question, any help much appreciated.

I was thinking maybe it is not coming out of 4H until the front actuator is out, since mine might not be working properly, the front shaft may still be spinning
in 2H, and now the actuator is randomly still trying to disconnect the front axle, but with manual hubs they are not up to speed? hence the grinding? I dont know........

Chris, NZ
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 20:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mojo353

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 21:14    Post subject: Reset 4WD Reply with quote

zul69 wrote:
Hello All,

I have read though Mr Rhanagar post concerning the matter. It seems that the Dmax have slightly different to that of Trooper. I went under the Dmax today to see the things, and they look about the same.

My problem now is that the 4H symbol keep blinking/flashing (like it is tryning to engage 4WD, but it did not). It is still driveable in 2WD mode. But the flashing 4H sysbol is getting on my nerve so I want to cure that if possible.

I have surf through many websites etc from last night. Went on Oz forum last night (directed by someone in here) and some of them were discussing about having to reset the 4WD ECU which is under the driver's seat (RHD). Undo the seat and I can see the ECU under there, with 2 sets of wire connectors going into it. But nobody explained clearly about how to go about resetting the ECU. Any idea guys? Or anyone has done this before?

Many thanks

Zul
Malaysia

Hiya I have just signed up and cant post you the link to your problem.....but this is it in written form copied from the link.

7D1-40 TRANSFER CONTROL SYSTEM
Memory erasing procedure
1. Prepare two pieces of short harness with the end sharped
like a needle (bout 20cm(7.9 in) long).
2. Turn OFF the ignition.
3. Remove the front left seat ASM.
4. Make the controller under the front left seat ASM (spread
the cut of the floor carpet).
5. Keeping the connector of the transfer controller connected,
set the short harness from the back of the connector as
illustrated.
6. Turn ON the ignition, wait for 2 seconds, and turn OFF the
ignition after confirming the relay sound.
7. Disconnect the short harness, turn ON the ignition again,
and confirm the “Check 4WD” lamp in the meter panel is
OFF.
8. Before erasing the memory, check that the circuit of the T/F
actuator position detection harness, etc. for it are normal.
Transfer Controller Pin Assignment
RTW47DSF000101

I just copied and pasted from the pdf file but the photos wont paste so .......... as you look at the box under the seat there are 2 connector blocks on it ,   the left one is the larger one, the pin on the top left of the larger block is where you link the first wire.... it goes from there to the bottom left pin on the smaller block ( this bottom left pin has no existing wire from it .... )
The second wire links the bottom right pin of the smaller block to the second pin from the left of the same block (in other words it goes to the blank pin beside the blank pin you just linked the top left pin from the left block to )
Sounds confusing but hope this helps.
If you get stuck just email me and i will send you the link.
steviebax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 13:33    Post subject: Heres a funny 4x4 problem then? Can anyone help. Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a trooper with SOTF 4x4.  When driving in 2wd mode the 4x4 light on the dash flashes.  When you press the 4x4 light it turns solid however the front axels aren't engaged.

How can this be ??  I thought the front axles had to be engaged so the 4x4 ecu would get the signal to turn the dash light solid ??

Can anyone suggest what the problem maybe ??

Steve
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front drivers side axle is always connected to the front dii. The front wheels have fixed hubs to the axles. The front passenger axxle comes in 2 halves and is disconnected by the front actuator (pictured earlier) in 2wd. When you go 4wd the front actuator connects both halves of the front passenger axle. What you most probably have here is either the switch on the front actuator is jammed, or the washer (Vauxhall sump plug washer from halfords) is missing, or the front actuator is jammed knackered.

To check the switch get yourself a 24mm ring spanner and take it off. It is a 2 wire lead from it. Disconnect the lead and remove the switch taking care not to lose the washer if it is there. Claean it up using WD40 especially the ball on the end. Check it makes/breaks continuity with a multimeter when the ball is pushed in. Replace once your sure its working fine aking sure you use the washer. If you stil have issues then I would investigate the actuator itself.

To check the actuator is working fine jack up the front passenger wheel and rest the truck on an axle stand. Double check the truck is out of gear and turn the front passenger wheel. Look at the front propshaft and it should be stationary in 2wd. Start the truck and select 4wd and do the same. The front propshaft should now turn. If the results are different then your front actuator is faulty.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

steviebax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I'll try all those tests.

I have however just checked to see if there is any vacuum at the actuator pipes and l can feel nothing on either pipe.  I removed both pipes from the actuator and put my finger on the end of each pipe in turn and l can't feel a vacuum on either of them?

Could this be the issue cause the actuator test won't work if l don't have a vacuum to begin with.

Maybe l should replace all the vacuum piping but l dont know what mm size l need or length - any ideas ?? For a 98 trooper.

p.s l also checked the vsv valves with a vsv from the engine preheater within the engine bay (next to brake reservoir driverside)  Just took blue one off but because l'm and idiot l forgot which pipe goes to which connector on the blue vsv.  Can someone send me a piccy of theres or a description.  I have one pipe with a stripe on for starters.

Cheers

Steve
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say then on of your VSV's is jammed. There is a piping diagram on the first page.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and you would need about 6 metres of 4mm ID silicone hose to change the lot.

Deceased

steviebax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.  I'll get some piping off eebuygum.

I followed your procedure and checked the vsv's - they seemed fine.  As l mentioned l replaced them with the working (known to be working vsv's) from inside the engine bay. But had the same result.

Then l checked the vacuum on the pipes going into the vsv's using the manual instructions ( which is on this website somewhere) Put a vacuum tester on a pipe going into the blue vsv and blocked off a pipe going into the grey vsv etc.  Still no vacuum registering.

Think l'm going to have to replace the piping. Could it be the vacuum tank ?? Where is the vacuum tank ??

Steve
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the pipe coming off the altenator (if a diesel) or the inlet (If a petrol) and work your way along the system. Each time check for vacuum.

Deceased

steviebax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do.

Thanks very much.

Steve
steviebax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I keep hearing that the vacuum pump is on the back of the alternator ??

I have a 3.0td trooper citation 4JX1
steviebax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - pressed submit by accident.

Anyway.  I have a 3.0td citation s reg DIESEL - UBS73 4JX1 engine.

Trying to find the vacuum pump for the 4x4 system ???  I have no vacuum in the 4x4 system and am replacing all the pipes.

People have told me its on the back of the alternator ??  Well my alternator doesn't look like there is anything on the back of it at all.  Could the pump be somewhere else on my engine type ??  Where is the pump ???

p.s - someone also asked me if my brakes were working ok - they are working fine.

Steve
MikT725

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note not sure if its already been clarified but both the VSVs on axle have 12V to them when in 2WD and both have 0V in 4WD

(apologies if someone has already pointed this out)
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

steviebax wrote:
I have a 3.0td citation s reg DIESEL - UBS73 4JX1 engine.

Trying to find the vacuum pump for the 4x4 system ???  I have no vacuum in the 4x4 system and am replacing all the pipes.

People have told me its on the back of the alternator ??  Well my alternator doesn't look like there is anything on the back of it at all.  Could the pump be somewhere else on my engine type ??  Where is the pump ???

p.s - someone also asked me if my brakes were working ok - they are working fine.

Steve

From another thread nut also useful here.

Gribble wrote:
Its on the front timing cover just by the power steering pump .

The question about your brakes was to confirm the vacuum pump is working. Your brakes require vacuum to work, if you have good brakes the pump is doing its thing, thus isolating it down to a 4WD system issue.

Deceased

BabyBella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone!!!

wondering if anyone can help....?

Ive now got a 3.0 dohc 2001 trooper commercial, 4wd light flashes when in 2wd constantly, but it is in 2wd........ i believe?

When you press the 4wd button the 4wd engages and the light stays on.

So the problem is 2wd witth the 4wd light flashing......... what and where can this problem be? i am a girl so please be nice!

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: