QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fault finding the SOTF system.

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmad2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

just some thing i know from personal experience about the light on the dash flickering mine was a bad wiring repair everytime it was damp it went mad
people shouldn't just wrap wires together then use insulating tape badly
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 22:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jontm150

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:23    Post subject: 3.1 td swb 1997 fwd light stuck on. Reply with quote

hi could anyone point me to info for how the manual only 4wd system works? or is just activated from transfer box witout the need for 4wd ecu? thanks in advance. jon mancini
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual only (Mk.II pre-1995) system only has a lever to engage the front propshaft in the transfer box. The front hubs will either automatically lock or rarely you will have manually locking ones.

No ECU .. no vac pipes .. no front actuator .. all simplicity.

The Mk.III (1995-1997) Troopers have a hybrid system. The transfer box is mechanical lever operated, but by engaging the transfer box it then arms the front VSV's and actuator as described in the tutorial.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

caveaholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help needed, 2004 SWB 3.0 with SOTF,  4wd as stopped working, got flashing green light also able to select low range. Started following check list, can hear actuator on transfer box, checked switch for continuity in 4wd and this is ok. Wanted to check wiring back to ecu, does any day know where it is and also are there any fuses to check.
Thanks in advance
bg trooper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:57    Post subject: SOTF. 4wd Reply with quote

I decided to get the 4wd working at last. After reading through rhanagars amazing post on fault finding, I got to the stage where I need to check my vacuum hoses. There was no vacuum getting to the front actuator. So following the hoses up into the engine compartment,i removed the air filter to get a better look and discovered the vac hoses just waving around in fresh air!. looked for some where they should connect to, which I suppose would be a vacuum pump?
Sorry to be so stupid but where is the pump please and what does it look like? Rolling Eyes I woundered if the pipes had been removed to carry out some work and never got plugged back in again??. 3litr lwb trooper. 2002 year. 4jx1 engine.
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those by the air filter are breather pipes they don't go to anything. The 4wd is fed off the dipstick tube so check all around it particular to the small pipe at the back of it
jjmaskould

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been very useful in helping me diagnose my 4wd problem on a 2002 trooper I recently purchased, so many thanks to Rhanagar for taking the time to do this for us all... with the detailed info I done everything by the numbers, and found my fault was in the engagement vsv on the front drive shaft, after removing the front actuator and checking it all operates as it should, I found what could be used as a quick short cut to diagnosing where the fault may lie, on pushing the 4WD button in the dash the little green light flashes continuously, but without doing anything else, swap over the 2 vacuum pipes that connect to the actuator, my fault is the 4wd will disengaged but not engage and by swapping the pipes it then engages but won't disengage, so my fault is in the vsv or a dodgy vacuum pipe, still good to clean everything and check the whole system.. got some good ideas on either moving thing to a safer location or making better protection covers for certain components, also putting together a detailed drawing of the whole vacuum system unless that's been done already.
Still a fantastic thread to which I am grateful..
sbrad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,
My name is Stefano and I write from IT Rome, I have a trooper 2001 engine 4jx1 and because of a problem on the system SOFT I arrived at this nice post !!!
then I put myself and I ask you also my problem:
I made the recommended tests from Rhanagar up to the insertion shaft on the gearbox, until everything is right, (working alone I could not do other tests) but I think the problem on my trooper is on the vacuum system because in addition to not enter the 4x4 (when I push the button, the light is flashing 2 Hz) I have a problem even on the brake pedal, the engine is idling the pedal becomes hard and when I push it on the panel lights up the red light of the brakes.
So the two issues could be related?
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sounds like lack of vacuum check all the pipes around the dipstick tube especially the one that's at the back by the starter motor
sbrad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
Yes sounds like lack of vacuum check all the pipes around the dipstick tube especially the one that's at the back by the starter motor

Eithan you are great !!!
Yesterday morning I had the time to spend in my garage and looking in that part indicated by you, one of the least accessible engine compartment points !!! was right there, a detached hose from a tee, reconnected and everything works now, 4wd, brakes and my head !!
Thanks for the advice.

greetings to all
Stephen
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbup
Newtroopy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 13:31    Post subject: 2000 3.0 trooper Reply with quote

Hi , what great posts are on here.   Rhanagar you have certainly done an extensive post  Thanks.

Now my problem still exists,   I had the clutch and DMF changed recently, so the possibility of something just not reconnected is a possibility.

2wd driving fine,  push the 4wd button, get the clunk from the front axel actuator ok .

The green dash light still flashes.  

Jack up vehicle, 4WD off and the front wheels are independent, 4wd on and they engage and spin by hand opposite as expected. Propshaft turning back to the transmission.

I can engage Low ratio, so that bit works.

Now with the front up, 4wd engaged with the engine running , gearbox in neutral, should i be able to turn the prop?

I took it out for a drive and it appears to "torque up" in 4wd but still the green light keeps flashing.

Any thoughts anyone.  Question
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the switch has a broken wire on top of the front axle actuator, this bit is the final piece of the puzzle. as everything seems to be working regarding the front axle the switch needs to activate to stop the light flashing.
Newtroopy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, when it's light it's back underneath I go.
cjn1098

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 17:11    Post subject: 4WD System Reply with quote

Is there a part number handy for the the front axle VSV solenoids? Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: