2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

computer problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill bligh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:31    Post subject: computer problem Reply with quote

I was wondering if there are computer genuses out there I am using a dell inspiron lap top with windows vista basic the problem is the computer keeps telling me my recovery d is nearly full there is 2.05 MB of free space I have gone to properties and clicked on the disk clean up button and just tells me to empty the recycle bin done that. dose not make any difference. I have also googled (computer help) all the answers go over my head. I need Just plain english I don’t even know what a recovery d is or what it dose. While I am at it whenI go to Paint or Word Pad then go to print preview all the buttons have oriental writing on them. Can you help.
Regards to all
Bill
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are saving everything to the recovery partition, Does it show another Hard drive? possibly C
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance you could elabourate a bit - never heard of a recovery D
1. howmany drives come up in my computer ? and their letters
can you do a screen pic of the problem ?
cheers
Steve
bill bligh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 0:08    Post subject: computer problem Reply with quote

Hi Markymoan and Greasemonkey I cant poast any photoes as I dont know how. I have 3 drives
1. DVD RW Drive (F)
2. OS (C)
3. RECOVERY (D)

Drive 1 Just opens the draw and alows me to insert a CD DVD. eg.
Drive 2 is the Operating system
Drive 3 From what I can gahter saves all my files when ever I back up my computer.
Which I have done several times I am now backing up my important files to a rewritable DVD. What need to know is how to empty the RECOVERY (D). When I open My Computer then right click on the Recovery (D) icon one of the options is to (Format) I know when I format the memory card in my camera it delets every thing on the card.I dont know what would happen if I formated the (D) drive ?. The memory of the (D) drive is 14.6 GB. I have 2.05 MB of empty space left. WhenI go to properties on the OS (C) drive icon the cake showes the drive hase loads of room left on it. Hope this helps Thanks for your time and effort
Regards Bill
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really supposed to backup to disk and not the recovery partition (D) have a look and delete the folders marked with backup dates.
D holds copies of the operating system and all the drivers for sound etc, you are not supposed to save stuff on there.
Hope that helps a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a similar setup to my Hewlett Packard laptop. (HP Elite-book 8540P)

C: Operating System
D: Backup (for Hewlett Packard Recovery - built in)
G: Backup #2 (external hard drive)

I've never saved anything to the D drive. As Mark said, that drive is not for saving files. When you turn your computer on, if it's anything like mine, it will say something about press F1, DEL..... to enter system recovery, that's where the D: drive comes into play.

Recommend an external hard drive for backup  Very Happy
bill bligh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 15:07    Post subject: computer problem Reply with quote

Hi Markymoan and Greasemonkey.
SORTED Markey moan was spot on
1 went to start
2 computer
3 double left click D drive icon
4 go to Bill PC
5 right click go to delete
SORTED
I did go through all the files befor deleting I now have 3/4 of empty disc space
Once again thanks for your help
Regards Bill
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad its sorted mate, it is a very common thing for people to do, personally I think the drive names are misleading.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

really if its a recovery partition you shouldn't be able to access it anyway - i suggest you use disc manage and use the hidden option - this means it cannot be seen from my computer
regards
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: