4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tuning an RC Nitro car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 22:16    Post subject: Tuning an RC Nitro car Reply with quote

I have googled and I'm for a word 'Stuck'  Sad
Is there anybody local that knows how to fettle the things  Question
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 22:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Freebird.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is local to me, knows his stuff, Alpha Modelsports - 11 London Road, Carlisle,01228 533625. Maybe a bit far away though.

LTM No:94
n33za

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats actually wrong with it mate, there should be 2 screws on the engine one sticking up which is the idle screw, from what i remember this one controls the air flow to the engine, the other screw which is usually located on the block itself is for the nitro fuel. turning screws clockwise will make engine run lean, and anticlockwise for rich, i'm not sure how much you know about these but you need to be getting blue smoke from the exhaust if your not its running too lean. it takes a while to set them up as only 1/8 turns will make a difference.
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read 'how to's' till I am blue in the face, I just want someone local to set it up and show me the fine tuning  Smile
And yes it starts in a fashion  Laughing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can take some time to set up, i've got 2 of the things! Is the glow plug working ok? that can cause running problems.
how does it start/run (if it will run) is the fuel good?  What model is it out of interest? I've got a pair of Thunder Tiger ts4n's one with a .21 novarossi engine.
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts but revs very high and cuts out as soon as you remove the glow start, the fuel is new 20% nitro, its a HSP Landcross.
I could have tweeked it but my sons all knowing friend (who happens to have a non runner) got to it first leaving it as it is now  Rolling Eyes
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not brand new i'd fit a new glow plug as i've had running probs caused by them before, after that take the throttle linkage off the servo and check the carb adjustment to make sure it's not open too much at it's idle positon, (i'd say use your judgement on the gap not seeing it in front of me) they'll be a mixture screw, i'd start by making it lean and adjust it a small amount at at time, same with the idle setting if it stalls/revs too high. Like already said you want blue smoke.
Reason I say take the linkage off the servo is so you set the engine up then worry about the servo trim. It's how i've always set mine up and it does involve trail and error but i've been running nitro's for a few years now. They're not adjust and forget either, have to be tweaked quite often!!
They do rev quite high even at idle, I usually have mine just below the clutch 'bite' point, prob around 8000rpm.
Other option... most model shops that sell nitro's will be able to set one up in a matter of minutes and may not charge as you will need spares at some point  Wink
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model shop it is then, they didnt charge for fitting the new pull start and I'll maybe buy a bottle of nitro at the same time  Wink
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if they do Blue Thunder fuel  Wink   Wink  more of a performance fuel and it's supposed to stop them running lean. I'm waiting for the warmer weather and gonna get the one with the .21 engine running, the crawler was good in the snow but doen't match the speed of the nitro.
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going 16%, its not for racing so cant see the point in massive performance (if I ever see it drive)  Laughing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use mine for racing but still want it fast  Twisted Evil   Laughing  got 2 speed transmission which sounds great when it changes!
sure you'll get it running and have plenty fun, the hassle they can be to set up is worth it when they're running fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: