4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The mk4 build

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 23:47    Post subject: The mk4 build Reply with quote

As most know after it had a very hard life I killed the mk2 and bought a mk4 3.0 to replace it. The tax runs out in a couple of days and it's coming off the road to do the mods to it. It's getting the suspension off the mk2 and i'm trying a few new things which will involve making my own parts. The winch will be mounted behind the stock bumper as it won't be getting abused as much as the mk2! It's had a few minor running issues but so far i'm sticking with the 3.0 engine (3.1 still in the garage)
I've taken the side steps off already and I bolted the tool box into the boot. It's more family friendly so no bucket seats (be mad to bin the heated armchairs) and it'll be keeping the carpets etc. It'll be used  more for laning then play sites and I won't be doing trails in it.
As it is currently

Tool box bolted in

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 23:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bazza2541

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be following this thread real close.
Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to the mods.
Just as a matter of interest, why did you choose the 3.1 over the 2.8?
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already own the 3.1 engine as it came out of my mk2, I bought the mk4 as a non runner from another member (it was going to be broken for spares) and was going to drop the 3.1 straight in but it's running really well and i quite like the 3.0 (does twice the mpg of the 3.1).

Picked up some materials today including some  seamless tubing for the steering  Wink  rose joints should be here this week  Very Happy
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary is the checker plate riveted to angle to form the toolbox and is it bolted down using the tie down fixing things, need to make something like that for mine as i tend to have a bit of gear I cant find a home for, looks well BTW. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the dust on the Hi-lift , does that mean it not used for self - recovery, not used in the mud or just not used   Confused

Ah, it might be one of Dx medias old ones as he never gets stuck in the multicar thingy  Razz
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool box is made out of a box section frame with the ally riveted to it, it has no base as thats what the boot floor is for, it's split 70/30 inside so space for tools/spares etc and space for recovery gear. The boot floor has been drilled to mount it, there's space between it and the seat for my air compressor, it's the same height as the rear seats when folded flat so i've got a flat load area if needed  Wink  It weighs about 10kg so not loads of extra weight to carry.
pic below of the frame.
Mr G the high lift has been living in the garage for a few months, it's been nearly a year since i've been off road  Shocked  It lived in the boot in the mk2 and always cleaned it after use  Very Happy

Last edited by gary820 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 20:22; edited 1 time in total
MikT725

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the end result  Cool
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Gary, its on the list for the next few weeks, need to do something to keep stuff tidy in the back.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

adz1973 wrote:
Thanks for that Gary, its on the list for the next few weeks, need to do something to keep stuff tidy in the back.

No worries mate, it's 25mmx25mmx1.5mm box and 2mm sheet, if your gonna bolt it in and leave it in don't bother with a base, just puts the cost up for no reason! I've got about £60 to £70 in it, the locks aren't so much for security but more for safety when off road  Wink
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary820 wrote:
adz1973 wrote:

No worries mate, it's 25mmx25mmx1.5mm box and 2mm sheet, if your gonna bolt it in and leave it in don't bother with a base, just puts the cost up for no reason! I've got about £60 to £70 in it, the locks aren't so much for security but more for safety when off road  Wink

I've got some spare light 50x50 angle at work and a sheet of half inch ply, that should do, dont like paying for stuff if i dont have to. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one similar off eebuygum cost about the same i think but is slightly smaller, nice bit of kit for the money all ally welded with hd hinges and lock, i keep all recovery gear in it and my compressor is mounted in it too
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year ? Where has  that time gone then  - I keep thinking its like six months since I saw the blue landcruiser  Shocked
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was  12 months ago that gary and team popped up on a rally stage Laughing
back on the same spot this saturday

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was June last year when went laning with you mr G! That was the last time the blue un got used in anger as I failed it's mot not long after that!  
It's funny who you bump into in the middle of a rally stage in wales,  we got some funny looks driving down there  Laughing
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done much to it recently but got some time off work shortly to get on with the mod work.
Spent a couple of hours cleaning up the parts to be fitted from the mk2. Painted the coil springs and gave the shocks a fresh coat of silver hammerite, the body lift spacers have been painted black (they were bare ally and had started to corrode) Had to unseize the arb disconnects, they need adjusting to the right length and will get painted, still need to strip the hd trailing arms as the rose joints are a bit stiff.
I've got new upper and lower front ball joints, 4 new cv boots, new bushes for the upper and lower wishbones, upright bearings and seals. Both props are getting new uj's, all the brakes are getting stripped and overhauled plus new pipes and extended hoses to fit, all the oils to change.
Thats on top of the mods and fabrication work  Very Happy

some freshly painted parts (apart from the trailing arms)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: