All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ticking noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:01    Post subject: ticking noise Reply with quote

hi all first post i have ever done so here goes 3,i diesel 1993 trooper got it in december and love it the problem i have is was told when i got it exhaust was blowing checked this but seems ok . Checked manifold gasket this also ok .on tickover ok reving up ok but when driveing and engine under load i get what i can only describe os a loud ticking noise from engine could this be tappets? or do u have any other ideas thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

leeanson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like what my 2.8td is doing now aswell. my mechanic says its nackerd but im not convinced, im getting someone else to check timing and injectors, ive had no response to my problem from people on here and i thought i would. i hope you have more look mate.

smiggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much for your reply i am going to change manifold gasket tomorrow will post if this cures it
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just mean the top of the push rods are a little worn and the tappets need adjusting. Don't ask me how though, but I am sure there is a how2 on here somewhere.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got any evidence of soot round the manifold? If you have got a leak from one cylinder only then this can give strange noises under load.
You may want to spend a little time with a mirror all round the underside of the manifold to check this out.
Could allways change manifold gasket an see as they are not too expensive from a factors, only problem is there is allways the risk of snapped studs with exhaust manifolds.
smiggy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all not a hapy camper tried to do manifold gasket today All 4 top bolts were slack thought great i am on a winner here. How wrong can u be. I think bottom bolts had been put on with inch drive impact wrench.After 6 hrs had 3 of the bottom bolts loose BUT HOW DO U GET A SPANNER ON THE ONE BEHIND TURBO after 2 hrs trying to slack this one off and failing gave in and put it back together in the hope that with the bolts being slack in the first place GOD would smile on me and it would be ok .Took of EGR pipes and blanked off set tappits. All going good rebuilt it all.Spent 10 mins praying fired the beast up on tickover and low revs upto about 2000 sounds nice and quiet.took it for roadtest tick tick tick decided to pull over and CRY for 5 mins.so not cured fault but had alot of fun.So will try again over the weekend.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one under the turbo is a B%$£h. I got to it by moving the aircon pump out of the way. Belt off, undo mounting bolts (good luck with the one at the back at the bottom. That one is easier if you take the battery out and swing the unit to the left as far as it will go. Remember your radio code if you need it) Just remember to NOT UNDO THE AIRCON HOSES!

Deceased

Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly -

Tappets have worn but put a dip on the rocker arm and a bump  on the valve stem so the clearence is the high bit of the bump to the rocker arm so set them all then go 5 thou less but check there is some clearence before a test run.

Part of the exhaust expanding due to heat under load in a joint or the pipes rusted thin.

Piston(s) touching the head due to worn big ends or small ends .

Common on a ricardo style piston with big miles .

Drop the sump to check and wind some new ones in .

If you have the head off it will be a clean carbon free area  on the piston crown edge as a telltale .

Depends on the tone of the noise ,to experienced ears its normally plain ,is it a light tick under full power or a constant one from warm .
smiggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your input Gribble. Ihope its none of them sounds expensive had another go at manifold gasket today have got new one on will finish rebuilding tomorrow.Will post tomorrow and let u know if its cured.
leeanson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked your timing mate ?  ive had mine checked couple of days ago and it 3 degrees out which can be enough to make it knock. so im going to put a timing belt kit on and see if that cures it, mine sounds like a valve knock and could just be coz timing is out, so going to try the belt kit before having head off for valves, as im not sure if valves can be tightened or adjusted if one has come loose if you no what i mean.
sorry for rabbiting on but it could be something you should check before taking everything to bits.
ill keep you posted you do the same if you dont mind pal Wink

smiggy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Happyness is a trooper that does not sound like Big Ben. Put my baby back together. Started her up sounds ok took her out NO TICKING boy am i happy camper.So it seems i got lucky no major issues just a blown gasket. Thanks very much to all of you for your thoughts and info.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love a happy ending Smile  Smile  Smile
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!

Deceased

eddyb203

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18    Post subject: Isuzu trooper promblem Reply with quote

Hi my isuzu trooper has been standing for about a year it over heated because off water pump failure I've now changed both head gaskets and had heads skimmed and I've put a new belt water pump on I've started it up and it's making a knocking noise I put 10w 40 engine oil in and also when it warms up its like its missing a bit and going out cut out but it doesnt it also back fires any idea what this could be please??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: