4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Failed today!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:29    Post subject: Failed today! Reply with quote

Rear brakes little or no efficiency

Rear handbrake little or no efficiency

Rear fog light inoperative (that was working 2 days ago  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad )

Got to love the rear braking system of the Mk.I Trooper .... NOT!

Looks like I will be spending most of my weekend getting wet and cold stripping the rear brakes and re-conditioning them!

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

tattootrooper

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats not to bad mate ive had newer cars fail on alot more lol
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not alone, 3 years, 3 troops, 3 MOTs and all failed on rear brakes.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad in some ways its just that, just annoying as I adjusted them 3 weeks ago. Bloody things just don'y adjust as the pads wear.

Does make me wonder if something more reliable can be modified to fit from another vehicle.

Deceased

Grandad

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 23:00    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Neal if it has limited slip diff some testers use the old fashioned test meter on the floor of the car it can only test them altogether
also the frontera on leaf springs had drums on the rear Idea  Idea  Question  Question  Question Nick
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite get you Grandad. Do you mean you have to test a LSD truck differently?

Thought the series A Frontera was disk/drum combo on the back. Disk brakes for slowing down/stopping, and the handbrake works on a drum?

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stripped the rear brakes today. Just as well. Seems over the last year the offside caliper top slider had siezed. It was well and truely stuck in there. managed to persuade it out using a soft mallet and bolt. Cleaned it all off and lubed it up. Then spent an hour adjusting the bleeding things. Hopefully enough to pass the MOT. Not perfect but should be enough for a pass. Migth have to get a new offside caliper as the handbrake mech isn't up to much and not holding enough. I think the internals might be knackered just like the nearside one was when I replaced it last month. Fog light worked after I kicked it, so I guessed loose connection. Took the cover off and replaced the terminals, cleaned up all the contacts and seems to be behaving itself now. Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

Deceased

markymoan

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar wrote:
I don't quite get you Grandad. Do you mean you have to test a LSD truck differently?

Thought the series A Frontera was disk/drum combo on the back. Disk brakes for slowing down/stopping, and the handbrake works on a drum?

Two types on the fronty A, as Grandad said for the leaf sprung (swb?) and combo for the coil sprung (lwb?)
I think he was hinting at fitting the fronty axle to do away with the dreaded mk1 rear brakes  Idea
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah spoke to Grandad. If I were to go down that route I would go for the later wider axled coil sprung option. Whip off the spring mounts and adapt them to suit the leaf springs on the truck. Just a matter of removing the coil plates and welding a plate onto the bottom of the axle to attach the U-bolts to. However I would then lose my rear LSD (unless I was really really lucky). Another option would be to see if the LSD would fit into a Fronty diff housing and has the same number of teeth on the drive shafts. I wouldnd't be surprised if they did to be honest. Another option would be to see if the hub/drive shaft of the Fronty would be the same length and have the same number of teeth as the Trooper and possibly be a direct swap.

A really crazy idea would be to find a more modern car (say another Jap 4x4 like a Mitsi, or Hilux) and see what their rear calipers are like. I doubt much difference size wise and then fabricate a new brake caliper carrier to suit and then bolt them on.

The biggest issue I would have is trying to marry up diff ratios as well. Don't want the back end trying to overtake the front, or the front trying to pull the front half of the car off when off-roading.

Anyways I have solved the issue for the MOT hopefully. Tuned out the rear offside upper slider had siezed solid. Managed to drift it out and clean it all up. Means the rear brakes are now solid when applied with the foot pedal. The handbrake lever type thing I reckon is fubarred inside. Got it working as well as I can, but spent a hour with two mates tring to find that sweet spot. Should be fine, but I reckon I am going to have to replace that caliper. The nearside one 4 weeks ago was replaced for a similar reason and when I took it apart all the internal bearings for the handbrake actuator/lever had disintegrated. Wouldn't be surprised if the offside one was the same.

Fog light turned out to be dirty terminals inside the light housing. Put some new ones on and cleaned iot up and now works a treat ... again.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed once more. f£$king p1SS1ing s&%ing Mk.I handbrakes. Working fine when I adjusted them. Seems 2 days of sitting idle knocks them out.

Nearside is fine. Offside isn't. He says its probably the cable ... he says its "crunchy".

At a loss and bleeding annoyed

Deceased

greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to bring it to the greasemonkeys garage and have it sorted - i am only down the road and i am free Saturday afternoon
Sunday i have Vehicross in for major work though
theres nothing that cannot be fixed
let me know
cheers
Steve
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the offer Steve. Problem is now its not got an MOT and don't feel happy driving it all the way to Bury without one. Ordered a new caliper which should be with me on Thursday. Thought sod it and bought a new one as opposed to faffing around with a knackered one. The nearside one is brand new and the brake test showed it working on the rolling road. The drivers side just isn't doing anything with the handbrake. Going to pull off all the cables and grease them up and see if they need replacing as well. If they do, I know of a scrapper one not far from me and will grab the cables off that one. Talking to Grandad he rekons the caliper is knackered and I am of the same belief. The foot brake part works fine, just the handbrake part. I think the lever on the caliper is sticking and that could only really mean the bearings inside are broken (they were on the nearside when I inspected the guts of it). Either way she is booked into Grandads garage for a test thursday afternoon.

Deceased

omega63

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar wrote:

Ideally you should not rotate one shaft/wheel for any great time, i.e in the brake rollers Rolling Eyes , as this can burn out the bronze clutches in the differential unit causing the LSD to fail Shocked . This includes rotating the wheels using the engine and g/box, it been said that its safe to rotate both wheels together but dont take my word for IT!!!!....Craig....
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was rolling for less than 30 seconds to be honest. He rolled both wheels and tested the handbrake then just blipped the rollers to find out which side was the problem.

Deceased

omega63

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar wrote:
It was rolling for less than 30 seconds to be honest. He rolled both wheels and tested the handbrake then just blipped the rollers to find out which side was the problem.

30 seconds is nothing, the LSD would be damaged and unservicable if one wheel was inadvertainly rotated at high RPM and for a great deal of time Shocked !!!!. The brake test/VOSA for none permanant 4 wheel drive systems is as cars " left and right wheel rotated seperately and then together to check the brake balance across the axle being tested". Permanant 4 wheel drives systems/vehicles i.e R/R,s and L/R,s would need to be tested using a "Tarbley meter" this is when the vehicle being tested is driven along a road and when safe to do so the brakes are tested. .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: