2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Failed today!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a G meter?
Nice to know, cheers  Cool
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 22:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my tester did it right then?

I thought it wouldn't be an issue as the wheels are only turning slowly and the test applied for a couple of seconds to see if there was inbalance.

Either way I am kind of glad it was done. It has highlighted a major issue with my rear brakes. One siezed, and the handbrake system toatlly knackered. I occasionally lend my truck to people at the events I do. last thing I want them to do is thnk the handbrake is working and it to roll away into a load of tents with people in. Even worse I do a lot of towing and the siezed rear caliper meant little braking force at the back which could be dangerous at 60mph towing a 2 ton load.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

omega63

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar wrote:
So my tester did it right then?

I thought it wouldn't be an issue as the wheels are only turning slowly and the test applied for a couple of seconds to see if there was inbalance.

Either way I am kind of glad it was done. It has highlighted a major issue with my rear brakes. One siezed, and the handbrake system toatlly knackered. I occasionally lend my truck to people at the events I do. last thing I want them to do is thnk the handbrake is working and it to roll away into a load of tents with people in. Even worse I do a lot of towing and the siezed rear caliper meant little braking force at the back which could be dangerous at 60mph towing a 2 ton load.

Yes he as tested correctly the braking system on your Isuzu Trooper Cool , i am a class 4 and 7 vehicle examiner meaning i can test cars and small commercial vehicles up to 3,000 kgs. The vehicle examiner who tested your vehicle will be working from a test sheet VT30 i think, which as special instructions related to your vehicle "stating your vehicle braking system can be tested using the brake rollers equipment" only providing the vehicle is NOT/ OR NOT IN PERMANANT 4 WHEEL DRIVE. VOSA are liable if a vehicle examiner does not adhere to the check sheet VT30 "special instructions" and damages a customers vehicle, and or the MOT testing equipment. As in your case it as high lighted some quite dangerous defects, that may not have been aparent using the "Tabley meter" or "G" meter as Marky puts it....
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very tight LSD, how would that go on a rolling road?, so tight that on full lock the tyres can squeek Cool
I'm asking because my mot is due and dont want some muppet screwing up my diff.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tyres squeel when doing low speed tight corners as well. I am assuming its the same proceedure for you marky.

Deceased

griffter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS CALLED A TAPLEY METER
omega63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

griffter wrote:
ITS CALLED A TAPLEY METER

I stand corrected Very Happy ....
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do with an mot station that knows how they work, the local one is a tit to be honest  Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
I could do with an mot station that knows how they work, the local one is a tit to be honest  Rolling Eyes

There is no need to use a "Tapley meter" on your truck Marky, it is not permanant 4 wheel drive and can be tested using the braking rollers. Tapley meters measure the effort/enertia applied during the brake tests on the footbrake and handbrake it is measured as a percentage, the brake balance across the axle is felt and accessed by the vehicle examiner. Meaning if the vehicle "VEERS OFF" uncontrollable during testing it as a serious issue regarding brake balance across the axle your testing Rolling Eyes  Cool .......
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a lot of hassle and agro and my supplier being let down by his supplier I finally managed to get a 12 month green ticket.

First off thanks to Grandad for sorting me out a test at short notice and being moral support.

After ordering a new caliper and it failing to turn up the day of the test I had to run out to Bungay to pull a used one off a scrapper SWB. The caliper was in a poor state on the truck but seemed to do its thing when tested. Took it home, stripped it and clean it up. Put it back together again and trundled to the MOT station. It was a close shave but just managed to get the results. Have an advisory list as long as my arm now, but to be honest they are things I have been meaning to look at. All in all everything is sorted.

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: