2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Is 3.1TD Engine same for both Manual & Auto Box's???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGHORNS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 23:49    Post subject: Is 3.1TD Engine same for both Manual & Auto Box's??? Reply with quote

My 92' Lotus Bighorn 3.1TD Auto needs another lump after the wife drove it 12 miles with bust hose and no water! Pistons have melted!
There are plenty of Trooper engines about which were driving manual g'box's. I am unsure if a manual trooper engine will couple to the Bighorn auto box without any probs? Does anybody out there know and does anyone want to sell me a suitable Trooper or Bighorn 3.1TD engine? Help!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 23:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the same bellhousing pattern - Manual/Auto. Motor doesn't care which one it's attached to, but motor that's been on an auto will always be in better shape. Try and get a '95 or later Trooper/Bighorn/Monterey/Horizon (Honda) 3.1 lump 'cos there's more HP. Around 130 as opposed to 115 for the earlier ones

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
shinz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big thing will be the bolt pattern on the end of the crank shaft. I'd be very surprised if Isuzu did a different crank for manual & auto engines & so all you should have to do if you end up with a manual replacement, is to take the fly wheel off the manual engine & replace it with the flex plate from the auto. HTH, Cheers, Steve.
BIGHORNS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I bought a second hand engine yesterday. It was out of a 96' P manual Trooper. I will keep this thread updated with the results of the transplant into my 92' auto Jap import Bighorn!
BIGHORNS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good few months have passed however I can confirm a successful engine transplant! The reason for taking so long was the engine I bought (from a manual trooper) had a knackered cylinder head! Having sourced a good secondhand head she now runs like a dream. The bolt patterns on the bellhousing and end of the crank is the same for both manual and auto engines so the swap was straightforward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: