QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

MK 1 Rear Leaf Springs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:16    Post subject: MK 1 Rear Leaf Springs Reply with quote

Whilst waiting for the Troop to warm up today I was prowling around and noticed that the drivers side rear has at least a 10-20mm difference in clearance between the arch and wheel (height) (difficult to be exact with just a finger to measure it!) now it does look like the nearside spring is newer than this one as it's much cleaner. I know they both need new shackle bushes as they are worn and at least one is seized I have a new set (poly ones) and just need to get my @rse in gear to fit them but looking at it, it may be a better idea to do the springs as well.

Is it OK to just replace this one obviously sagging rear spring or should I really replace them as a pair? Milners do a complete kit of spring, all the bushes, new shackles, U Bolts and all fixings for £49 a side. I am thinking that as I am going to be pulling this trailer then it's probably a good idea to at least sort this one side out and maybe replace both. It has already had new shocks earlier this year. It does sag quite quickly with weight so I am guessing the springs may be past their best, after all it's 14 years old and has led a fairly hard life looking at it and I think it may well always have been a work tow vehicle as the first owenr was a company and they had it for most of its life.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joeswan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
I believe it is the general consensus to change springs in pairs.

If you are doing the bushes anyway, I'd probably change the spring also.
I changed both rears on mine last year and it did lift the backend a noticable amount, If I'd have only done 1 side, it might have been wonky??

I would definately buy the complete kit, after strugging to get the 1st side off, I found it easier to just cut all the bolts off on the other side. Evil or Very Mad
jon willy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil I know you can peel an orange in your pocket and seperate the pip's but at that price replace them both, the difference will be very noticeable, if it wasn't for the introduction of the trailer (did you get it by the way) I may have suggested swapping side to side as it is a problem when there is only the driver in for a high % of the time.

That is a good price Exclamation Exclamation

Jon.
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking probably best to do both. I think this is why it's been almost on the bump stops my last couple of big trips!

Thats what I was thinking Joe, just take the circular wrench (angle grinder) to the old bolts. The full kit is only three quid more than just the spring!

I've just this second got back from collecting the trailer and completing my first ever three point turn and park with a trailer in the cramped confines of my back garden. Managed it in three goes! I have to say I can thoroughly recommend the dealer, Lindley Pate in Gisburn, Lancs. They showed me how to hitch it up, checked all the lights, put a new cable on it as the old one was causing a few light problems, changed a duff tail-light bulb and cleaned all the old sticky pads off the number plate mounting and wrote my number on it in marker for the drive home. I've had a new plate made but need to get some sticky pads to attach it.

Breach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Changed my leafs recently and noticed a couple of inches difference in clearance from the arch to the tyre.

The old one's do tend to sag over time.

Martin
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to order a pair of the full kits (includes new shackles, all bolts full set of poly bushes, spring and U bolts) on monday from Milners. Just need so dry and preferably slightly warmer weather to fit them.

jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking Phil ..... Bags of room over here Phil before we pull it down Exclamation Exclamation Gas bottles .. Migs .. All the power tools and pullers .. pillar drills .. jacks.

Jon.
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a nice warm workshop to work in? I have a gravel drive ATM although I've got one of these steel framed temporary garages trouble is we put it up last year and got hit by the biggest storm of the year and it blew over and damaged some of the poles as I hadn't secured it down well enough. I need to get around to straightening them out, get the thing back up and bolting it down to the ground properly. It's supposed to be a home for my Pickup but will make a good dry workspace. I have got a single garage but it's location makes it impossible to get a decent sized car in it so it's just used as a workshop.

Still at least a sheet of heft cardboard and some old carpet stops the gravel imprinting into my back too much!

jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only drawback here is the roof used to be corrugated asbestos big sixes, I replaced them with metal box profile but the drop is very poor so the sheets are overlapped and 26 foot long ... it used to be stabling for nine horses and my rear workshop was a piggery.... so there is oceans of space soon to be demolished.

Jon.
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right for some! Our next house in the UK has to have that sort of room, I need outbuildings!

jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
All right for some! Our next house in the UK has to have that sort of room, I need outbuildings!

But the problem is Phil if you can call it a problem the out buildings end up with potential and the potential is we now build three detached houses Wink Wink Wink So back to square one NO out buildings.

Jon.
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice shiny bits just arrived from Milners, complete spring, bush and shackle kit. Just got to find a window in the weather to fit them now.

DAVE FROM NEWCASTLE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 16:27    Post subject: brave man Reply with quote

hi ya phil well seen the wife was not in when you placed them on the bench as i suspect you would have a couple of springs in your step by now lolol
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah she's used to it now, as long as it's not oily she doesn't throw a wobbler.

jon willy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offers there Phil ..... Plenty of room and the tackle to do it ....... collect some chain for the security job as well....... just bring some wine ( Red) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Jon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: