2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

MOT Results..............

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooty500
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:09    Post subject: MOT Results.............. Reply with quote

Had the Trooper, 93 - 3.1 swb, serviced today.............FAIL.

Front chassis rotting both sides, both sills, wheel bearing & some form of flexi tube (I'd pretty much blacked out by then).
Anyway £470 total.

Oh god I think i'm gonna be sick again............. Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

The guy said it's mechanically sound but needed all the above doing. I've had it a year so this is my first MOT on it.
Truth be told I'm not absolutley distraught as the truck is 18yrs old so all told its prob not that bad & the work they'll do should see me through a few more yrs. The mechanic, who I've used for yrs, would say if there was anything else that was nearing the end of its life but as mentioned above he said its sound, well apart from the rotting corpse!! Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm suprised to hear about rust issues! My trooper is a 1999 and its very rusty on the chassis already  Shocked
I sold my 17 year old Frontera to my sister, it was totally rust free underneath in august when it sailed through another MOT, I really do mean NO rust, guess the Japs are still living up to their 'rust bucket' reputation whilst others have found out about rustproofing!
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
Can't say I'm suprised to hear about rust issues! My trooper is a 1999 and its very rusty on the chassis already  Shocked
I sold my 17 year old Frontera to my sister, it was totally rust free underneath in august when it sailed through another MOT, I really do mean NO rust, guess the Japs are still living up to their 'rust bucket' reputation whilst others have found out about rustproofing!

Thought that was Japanese.. Confused .....My 93 (soon to be scrapped  Crying or Very sad ) Bighorn has no penetrative rust at all on the chassis,and the 2000 Mk IV chassis is like new....Soooooo I guess they might have cracked it and you may have a sayonara job.. Sad
DYLAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 96 Bighorn chassis is also solid.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underseal Underseal Underseal. It really works.

The 2000 reg I have has a mint chassis but a 2001 near me is *beep*. Guess which one doesn't have underseal ?
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are fronty chassis built?  dontknow
I was told that they galvanised them after being built, hence why they don't rust, any truth in that? I'm going to paint my troop underneath then waxoil type oil in the box sections, don't want that going west as well as the engine !
Just passed the MOT last week so must be solid enough Very Happy
Hooty500
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought it I could see the back had had some minor welding but could not see anything on the front, goes to show I don't know a deal.

Once I get it back & have stopped weeping I'll get some underseal on it. Hopefully with that & the work its having done it should see me through a few more years.

Is there a thread regarding underseal?
Is it a case of wire brushing everything & then sealing?

Regarding the rust, its a lottery.
I used to own a 92 Astra for 6yrs. Best car I ever had, went all over UK in it & never once let me down but other folk I know wouldn't touch Vauxhall.

As for the Japanese, I work for Toyota so my drive has only Jap motors on it, thankfully I get a new one every year so avoid the rust with that one.
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
Where are fronty chassis built?  dontknow
I was told that they galvanised them after being built, hence why they don't rust, any truth in that? I'm going to paint my troop underneath then waxoil type oil in the box sections, don't want that going west as well as the engine !
Just passed the MOT last week so must be solid enough Very Happy

just the later models were galvernised oh 1999 mines solid if you want to talk rust maybe you fancy a chat about a landrover sure there not jap built  Laughing
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooty500 wrote:
When I bought it I could see the back had had some minor welding but could not see anything on the front, goes to show I don't know a deal.

Once I get it back & have stopped weeping I'll get some underseal on it. Hopefully with that & the work its having done it should see me through a few more years.

Is there a thread regarding underseal?
Is it a case of wire brushing everything & then sealing?

Regarding the rust, its a lottery.
I used to own a 92 Astra for 6yrs. Best car I ever had, went all over UK in it & never once let me down but other folk I know wouldn't touch Vauxhall.

As for the Japanese, I work for Toyota so my drive has only Jap motors on it, thankfully I get a new one every year so avoid the rust with that one.

mate thats not bad for its age atall
Hooty500
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

.[/quote]
mate thats not bad for its age atall[/quote]

Cheers for the words of sympathy Richard, even my mate who wrecked his Land Rover last month still found time to take the pi@@!!

He has to replace his chassis so hopefully my pain has made him feel a bit better Laughing
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooty is the pic in your sig that that little lane than runs oif the a34 through the chase to the cafe
Hooty500
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate, it was taken at Silverdale nr Stoke.
I know where ur on about though, passed it the other day & wondered what condition it's in.
Not been up there for many a year.
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooty500 wrote:
No mate, it was taken at Silverdale nr Stoke.
I know where ur on about though, passed it the other day & wondered what condition it's in.
Not been up there for many a year.

still drivable in a ford mondeo  Laughing  went down yesterday
Grandad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that frontera's are only Isuzu MU'S swb and Wizard's lwb with a few different engines and trims and luton couldnt even build them properly untill the japanese sent a team over to show them how
Hooty500
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning,
Collected the truck last night & not totally convinced I've got value for money.

Could someone pls confirm the following
- if they have repaired (welded) inner sills I should be able to see the work done?
- same as above but for front chassis (box section added)

I can see small parts of welds on both but regarding the sills it very limited & not on both sides as they described.
I'll post some pics later but at work now.
I'd just like some advice before I go back & ask for an explanation.

Cheers fellas

Nick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: