Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Correct oil for 3.0DT (4JX1)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 23:35    Post subject: Correct oil for 3.0DT (4JX1) Reply with quote

As we all know ( Question ) this engine should be run on fully synthetic 5w30 oil in the UK. To date Isuzu will not sell this to you in usable quantities as they only stock it in 45 gallon drums. However, their "sister" company, Vauxhall sell it over the counter in 5 litre containers at their dealers, labeled as a GM product. This is the only place I have ever found this oil for retail sale. So, pay a visit to your local Vauxhall dealer the next time you want to do an oil change Idea .

"Tongue-tied and Twisted; just an Earth-bound misfit,  I..."
 -  PF

LTM # 000002
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 23:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mr twister can you remember how much 5 ltrs costs mate i think i am about due a oilchange i swapped both oil filters last time do you think i need to swop the secondry filter every time or every other i am sure i read in the handbook "no need to swap the secondry filter" but i am sure you will agree any filter starts getting blocked from day 1 so cannot last forever .frankie.
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

checked at dealers today he says 6thou main filter 24 thou secondry 1 last time i swoped the secondry filter the oil light took a long time to go out is this normal frankie
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite seriously considering buying a 25 litre drum of oil for mine from a local commercial oil supplier (crown oils in Bury, lancs) that also sells to the public. With changing the oil at 3K miles and this year I've done four trips to France in it it'll have had 4 oil changes. Thats very nearly a drum full.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes sence philp i wonder if caterpillers use this 5 30 grade i now a man who repairs them frankie
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just changed oil and primary filter in my 2000 Trooper; 8 litres Shell Helix Ultra (5-40) £66, and filter £22 (includes P&P). Routine servicing is a really expensive business, even when it's a DIY job, because of Trooper ownership stress (premature and frequent servicing) caused by reading all the doomy and gloomy, apocalyptic emails. Mileage since last change 3900, and time elapsed 6 months. I had been running semi-synthetic 10-40 Shell Helix, but cold weather starting took a few seconds. Noticeable reduction in starting time with Ultra.
Anyone removed underbody shields to make servicing that much easier and faster?
Fuel filter change looks impossible. Any clues how to do it, and retain sanity?

I wonder if there's any chance of presription Prozac for "Trooper Syndrome" (a fully justified feeling of impending doom, or, even worse, already experienced doom), or would that be a postcode lottery, as recall and special campaigns seem to be.
It's difficult to identify a consistent thread to responses from dealers and IM, other than some Pontius Pilate hand-washing, evasion, misinformation and disinformation.
Reminds me of the shambolic discrepancies between the Owner's and Driver's Manual and the Service and Warranties Booklet. Just imagine: the O&DM schedules the timing belt for change at 125,000miles! Or should that be 125,000 miles or whenever engine explodes, whichever comes first!
What a crew!
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank sucevic wrote:
makes sence philp i wonder if caterpillers use this 5 30 grade i now a man who repairs them frankie

Must be run off his feet, if their own engines are anything like their "designed for Isuzu" one is!
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 20:25    Post subject: Correct Oil for 4JX Engine. Reply with quote

As emailed earlier I've refilled with Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 grade. I assume I'm correct in thinking that a fully synthetic 0w-40 would be better than the recommended 5w-30 garde, in that it would provide even easier starting in extremely cold conditions( less viscous than a 5w, and also better protection at high temperatures (more viscous than a 30 grade), now the UK is enjoying global warming. I appreciate that assume can mean make an "ass of u and me", but what do all you experts think?
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not a expert but i am running the bp 0w30 syn stuff it seems good but if it goes boom you chaps will be the first to know Laughing
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank sucevic wrote:
i am not a expert but i am running the bp 0w30 syn stuff it seems good but if it goes boom you chaps will be the first to know Laughing

Oh no we won't! You'll be the first to know.
Roscoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday all, Newbie here from way down under.

Ive joined this site because I have a 4JX1 in my Isuzu Wizard (Differant badging for differant countries).

I use BP Visco5000 5w40 in mine and always change both filters at the same time.

I see the small filter is refered to as a "secondry" filter here which can cause confusion. This filter has nothing to do with the normal engine lube system, its for the high pressure hydraulic circuit which "pulses" the injectors.

The reason that these engines normally take a few seconds to fire is because the computer wont let it start until the pressure has built up in this system to a minimum amount.

Cheers
Roscoe
Viking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Roscoe,
I also own a Wizard, up to the north of you. A 1999 model, which hasn't had any issues but I don't ever travel very far and it never gets hot. As a remote locality, it's difficult to get the right oil, but a local garage has Havoline 10W-30 bulk so that's what I use. There's no way of knowing if the recall work was done on my engine (other than chasing up info through NZ). I don't even have a manual for mine, I originally got the required oil grade off my dipstick!

I brought some 5W-30 full synthetic back with me once (for our other car, also an import) but I've since found that's a a no-no on commercial aircraft (although I did check with the airline beforehand!). Excess baggage rates are getting ridiculous now so I wouldn't bother anyway.

If I continue to keep the vehicle (by taking it to the Australian mainland) it might be worthwhile having the seals done locally (maybe even have the timing belt done at same time, mileage is only 100,000km but 160,000km for belt change seems ridiculous!) depending on whether the expertise is available.

This forum is useful for our car, the one piece of info I'd like is elusive, and that's the cost of the seals (realising that labour prices vary widely having had to pay as much as AU$78 hour in another remote locality).

We were in NZ recently and saw a great number of Fronteras, MUs and Wizards,
Viking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and welcome Roscoe, I just realised this was your first post Rolling Eyes !
Roscoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Viking, Yeah, there are plenty of MU's in this country, been a popular vehicle. The Holden Frontera and the Isuzu wizard are the same vehicle, All Wizards here are imports from Japan, The wizards changed to the 4JX1 Engine in 1998 which is what mine is.

The recall here only dealt with the sleeves and seals.

I would never go over 100,000 kms without doing the cam belt, its just not worth it.

Cheers mate
Roscoe
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local shop sells most grades, I did enquire about buying 25 litre drum as I pay around £20 for 5 litres and they said I could have for £40. Quite a saving if you change it regularly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: