All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How 2 - 2.8 Cam Belt change instructions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iverjohnston

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 13:57    Post subject: belt Reply with quote

Great write-up. Allowed me change my first can belt successfully!  I was changing the injector pump due to contaminated fuel, turned out the belt was the easy part!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 13:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

luisgbm@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say: thank you!  Very Happy  Very Happy

I will strip off the whole thing just to try it, it is so detailed and easy to follow that it makes me want to get my knuckles scrapped ASAP.

Cheers!
luisgbm@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Rhanagar, I have a couple of questions about this topic, maybe you can help me here:

1. The manual has a note that explicitly says "never rotate the crankshaft clockwise when adjusting the timing belt", however in your procedure you did it a couple of times and everything went fine. Is there something that I am missing here?

2. The manual has another panic note as well that reads: "if on-vehicle timing belt replacement is performed, the crankshaft must not be allowed to turn. If the crankshaft is allowed to turn, piston and valves damage will result.", which leaves me scratching my head. Why would that be?

3. Also, and that is just curiosity, how can I tell if the engine is 180 degrees out (say, if you are not replacing the belt, but reassembling the whole thing from scratch)?

Cheers!
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

he done it after the new belt was tensioned up this is to check that all the locking bolts are able to be reinserted in their holes and the engine is still timed up correctly as on this engine it is possible to get the timing out a tooth but the engine will still turn over ok.

if you turn the crankshaft to far with out the camshaft turning then the pistons will hit the valve that are open, you probably won't bend them by hand but if say someone turned the engine by the key then that would bend valves.

you would use the locking bolts and the timing marks, the engine would not be out at all then
luisgbm@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, I got it, with the belt already in place, you can turn the engine either way, no problem. Thank you Eithan!

I will try to do the job with a 4jb1t that I got already out of the car, just to practice.

Cheers!
luisgbm@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

The engine swap has been a little bit slower than expected, but that's ok, I am replacing pretty much everything I find in dubious shape.

I was wondering, has anyone here replaced the crank front seal and the camshaft seal? I got both, and since I am undoing the timing belt, it may be worthy replacing them at the same time, if that is not a hell of a task.

Thank you again!

Regards,
dunkanon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 15:09    Post subject: TI ming belt and tension kit changeout Reply with quote

Hi just wondering how long a timing belt and tensioner kit swap should approximately take isuzu bighorn 1995 3.1.  carried out by a professional mechanic?    I ask as I just had this done and the bill seems excessive tho I could be wrong.

I was charged 225 pounds fir the kit. I feel that is expensive as my own research was finding them for between 60 and 100 pouds plus 4 hrs labour including vat. Bill is almost 500 pounds.  

I know prices will vary but a ball park idea of time and cost from anyone please.   Thanks in advance.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 hours is about right if not done before.

I would expect £100 for parts .. that is for the timing kit (belt and two pulleys) at around £70 and a water pump at around £30.

Mind you saying that Eurocarparts who supply a lot of garages charge £183 for the timing kit alone.

I would say your expense is the parts and their supplier.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

scubaline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn i wish the pictures were still working :-\
diytrooper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this great post.

Made a little video of my replacement, I used this post as a guide.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_oSU9i9ilA[/youtube]
whitetroopere

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 19:04    Post subject: Replacing of fuel pump on a 4jg2 engine Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Harry and I own a trooper with a 4jg2 diesel engine. The problem is that my fuel pump is not responsive to the throttle. It has only one idle speed, and cannot be driven. I was told that fuel pump needs to be replaced. I bought another fuel pump online, and now trying to learn all I can how to replace the pump.

I was very happy to see the post here about timing belt replacement.  However, since I am not replacing the timing belt, I do not wish to complicate the matter by removing more things than i need to.  I removed the cover over the inj pump pulley and I believe I can find the one (1) threaded hole on the backing plate behind the inj pump pulley.  

1) is there more than one threaded hole(s) on the backing plate for the inj pump pulley bolts to?
2) if I can find only one threaded hole behind the pump pulley, will that be enough to secure the pump pulley in place and start removing the old pump?
3) Will the new fuel pump shaft key way slot be fitted to the old fuel pump only one way? and cannot  be fitted any other way? (i have not seen  the shaft keyway slot but I was told that it can only fitted one way to the pump pulley?)
4)If the new fuel pump can be fitted to the old pump pulley, will the new pump timing be the same as the timing of the old fuel pump?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the pics gone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: