All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

merc w124 weird starting fault!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the flower man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 16:54    Post subject: merc w124 weird starting fault!! Reply with quote

hello all,long time since i have been on hear.just been so busy! hope you are all well!
i will cut to the chase.i have an old w124 merc on a h reg(1991) 230e saloon,and have a problem i cant get to the bottom of..........
turn the key and she starts lovely then emidiatly stops!try to re start and she turns over and over.leave the ignition on abit then try again and she fires and then dies.she is fuel injected (bosch ke-jetronic)
i have come to the conclushon that she ant got the right fuel presher to maintain running and the inishal fireing is the fuel supplied by the coldstart valve.
i bypassed the fuel relay with a test meater in series and the pump ran showing 13v and 6.8amps which is inside tollorence.
tested at pin 30 (voltage from relay to pump,ignition position2) and 13v pulce and when engine started,13v constant until it died of course lol

so,ecu is switching relay to activate pump ect ect.
have replaced the ovp (over voltage protection)relay and the fuel presser regulator to no affect Crying or Very sad

i have been told that the accumulator controls presher.is this right?should i change this?can i test it?
also have been told that the air flow sencer and the warmup control valve are places to look.

please help! where do i go from hear?
thanks for reading all my wofflings
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 16:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had very nearly the same problem (mine hardly started at all but did now and again) on a Ssangyong Musso that had a 3.2 merc engine, It turned out to be the ecu at fault and that engine was prone to the ecu going, If you can source one and it's the same it will be plug and play (no coding required) A second hand one from a scrapper cost me £70 but it took some finding, I'm not saying this is your problem but it certainly could be.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it was the 2.3 engine not the 3.2.

DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked a post on here that i put and it did fire every time.

DYLAN wrote:
Well i think i boo boo'd i swapped the frontie for a 98 (S) Ssangyong Musso 2.3 (Merc engine).

The guy told me it had a slight fault and cut out now and again, After getting home i realised it didn't cut out now and again, It only starts now and again Evil or Very Mad .
It fires first time every time and then cuts out after a second or two, I've been told it could be anything from coil packs or plugs right up to knacked ecu,

There's that many sensors on it it could be bloomin owt Confused Oh well i should have waited for a trooper (still gonna have one just pennies stopping me) The little one has just broke her tib and fib aswell so she's in a full leg cast and having a 2 1/2 ton ornament couldn't have come at  a worse time...Think i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and have it plugged in Shocked

Oh well i'll keep ya updated, And I must remember to Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Laughing

My solution

DYLAN wrote:
Just a heads up, IT'S SORTED Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing Managed to get a ECU off same year car for £70 (i ripped his hand off) Now it's running like a good un. Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Laughing

From here (half way down first page.
http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16312&start=0

the flower man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the repliy dylan.s**t!! do you know if the 2.3 merc engine used the ke jet bosch system in the motor you had?how do i know for shore if its the ecu mate?do i need to get it plugged in?
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just researched the engine and ecu came up time and time again so i bit the bullet and just bought one,

Are in a merc owners club? Because they will have the info you need or should do.

DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked if the Merc suffered with the same ecu problem in the Ssangyong musso owners club, They should reply soonish.

Even being a non member you should be able to see the post here

http://www.ssangyongclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3009&st=20&gopid=106221&#entry106221

It is them that helped point me toward the ecu.

the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,i have tryed that link but it wont let me view it.im not a member of a merc club but i think i need to be!i will serch the merc forums to see if i can find ecu faults but to be honest,from memory it would of flagged up for me as a problem to watch out for.on monday im getting a mobile mechanic (auto tec) to plug it in and see what appears.yesterday i took the air cleaner off and made shore when she fired up she pulled the air flap down in the chamber.i have found that i can keep her running at over 3500rpm but under that she misses all over the shop and dies.
just a sugestion but if the fuel presher acuator (located on the fuel distributor) was sticking...........i have read that this is an electromagnetic device that controles the fueling amount using the ecu signal.
i wanted to mesher the fuel pressure but it turns out i didnt have the right addaptor to screw into the distributor.running the pump without the car running does give resistance on the are control flap though so i think i do have fuel pressure,but is it enough........???
the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly,i just found this!it mentions your motor and the ecu going down.i have hope yet though.its from 1992 that this problem happened.(mine is a 1991 modle)have a read mate. http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/merc.html
the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

done some more reading and it looks like the design of the ecu changed in 92 when 2 coils were used,1 per 2 cylinders.the copassitors in the ecu were glued to the bace plate and reliyed on this to disperce the heat they generated.the glue broke down and they fried them selfs hence the symtoms of miss fire/hard cold start and no spark on 2 cylinders(one would guess if this was the case ,one of the copassitors had failed and not the both)also from 93 i beleve(from memory)merc changed the wireing loom to the bio degradable one which ony lasted 10 years or so.this in places inside the engine bay(because of exposher to heat)speeded up the prosess and the wireing would short to earth and to its self bringing lots of problems with it including ecu damage.merc charge £600 for a wireing loom Shocked  Shocked
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it your ecu has not got VDO and MSE on it then?

the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh mate,im at my flat and the motor is at me mum and dads place.had to get it towed when it broke down so put it the closest i could to the breakdown location if you know what i mean,so i cant check.i will ring the old man and ask him to look under the bonnet.
im not saying it ant the ecu mate,just hoping Wink did you read that link then?
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate Wink I'm not saying it is but i know the 2.3 is known for it (with that ecu)

I think the Merc owners club is the best place for your answer. I know the OVP can throw similar faults but you've changed that, Was it for a known good one?

the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh mate,ovp is spanking new.was gana put secondhand in but ,well you no.i realy needed to eliminate it and as they are known for them going,i thought it cant help but put new on it.realy expencive though for what they are! Shocked
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: