Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brakes, then no brakes, then BANG!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 19:44    Post subject: Brakes, then no brakes, then BANG! Reply with quote

I had my first accident in my Monterey today. Was driving through town, decelerating towards a queue and started applying my brakes. All seemed fine until I gradually applied more pressure, then I could see that I wasn't slowing down pro-rata to the pressure I was applying. Stomped on brakes & got a real gravelly sound. I came to a stop just in time. Drove on cautiously, testing the brakes at every opportunity. 10 minutes later, same again, same gravelly but this time, despite all of my 20 stone on the pedal I couldn't stop in time. I hit a Fiesta at about 2 MPH and cracked its bumper (small crack on my number plate). The AA have now taken it to a garage to be sorted. What's the likely verdict? I had to top the brake fluid up a couple of times in the last 7 months, but not a lot.

Callipers? Master servo? I wouldn't have a clue as I know next to nothing about cars & would therefore appreciate ANY advice/guidance/estimate of cost.

And yes, I know with hindsight that I should have slipped into neutral & applied handbrake Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 19:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Fingers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound a bit like your pad were down to the metal. Its posible one of your brake pads has come appart. (had it happen on a motrbike once. it was not a good day out)

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever!
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers wrote:
Sound a bit like your pad were down to the metal. Its posible one of your brake pads has come appart. (had it happen on a motrbike once. it was not a good day out)

No brake warning light though, and the fact that I'd twice had to top up the fluid makes me think it must be something to do with the circuit itself??
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no indicator on the pads themselves only when the level of fluid gets to low, it is also possible on troopers that when the pad gets to low and starts to go metal to metal the pad can come out of the carrier and then it's possible for the piston to come out as well makes a right mess!
joeswan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your pads have worn out completely. Metal against Metal will have the braking characteristics you describe.
As the pads wear down, the pistons stay further out, therefore will fill with fluid and therefore you will have to top up..
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree, I hope it's not done too much damage to the disks. It is possible to get them skimmed if they've got enough meat on them rather than replace them if they are scored badly. How long ago was it serviced just out of interest?

My old Alfasud used to tell you that the front pads were worn by dropping them out of the bottom of the calipers with a bang. The big problem was the handbrake was also on the front disks so no plan B! (happened to me twice)

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
I'd agree, I hope it's not done too much damage to the disks. It is possible to get them skimmed if they've got enough meat on them rather than replace them if they are scored badly. How long ago was it serviced just out of interest?

Bought it in May this year, they MOT'd it and claimed to put front pads on it. It came with 3 months powertain warranty so, just before that ran out (July) I had it serviced by a "reliable" garage independently of the place I got it from in case there was something wrong that the seller's mechanic could have conveniently ignored with the warranty so close to expiry. At the service, the brake warning light had just started to light up & they replaced the rear pads.
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do front pads typically last with daily town driving?
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbaldbloke wrote:
How long do front pads typically last with daily town driving?

I think that depends on your driving style and whether it's a manual or not. Mine last at least a year 'cos I'm light footed. I think you would have noticed a gradual deterioration in braking performance long before this if it were pad related. Not only that, but if you put 20 stone on the pedal, even if the pads were well worn you would have stopped better. Is your pedal "harder" than usual? Are you sure this is not a servo problem? Have you checked for vacuum on your brake system?

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:19    Post subject: Re: Brakes, then no brakes, then BANG! Reply with quote

bigbaldbloke wrote:
I wouldn't have a clue as I know next to nothing about cars

!!!!!!

You could well be right, I haven't a clue!
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spoken to the garage, who say that the circuit seems fine & pads and disks are within MOT level. They keep mentioning master cylinder & £300. Would that have caused the shuddering? Could the servo cause it? Due to ring them back in an hour so any quick advice would be very useful.......
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the servo (brake booster) might be suspect. Am I right in thinking this is generated by a vacuum pump on the alternator? If so, it needs checking.

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

£300 for master cylinder????? You're havin' a laff! Check [/url]www.milneroffroad.com[url] and see if they have any in stock and what the price is.[/url]

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all going Pete Tong today. Sorry: www.milneroffroad.com

bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:
It's all going Pete Tong today. Sorry: www.milneroffroad.com

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!

Thanks for the prompt advice. I had a look at the site, but they don't seem to list one for a 94 3.2 petrol. I get where you're coming from on price difference though!

I've spoken to the garage again & told them to go ahead with pads. They're charging me £30 + £55 labour + VAT.

I asked if that will sort it & he still says that the master cylinder could be faulty. I asked if there was any way of testing it & he said no. I then rang my usual garage* who said that that's b*ll*cks. Clamp off all hoses & see if the pedal goes stiff. I'm going to collect tonight & drive gingerly back home. Then will take to my normal garage for master cylinder check.

*ps please bear in mind that I took it to the place I bought it from as they claimed to have put new pads on 7 months ago when I bought it, so I wanted to see if they'd cop the blame. Silly, silly me.

Thanks again & any further words of wisdom would be gratefuly received.

bbb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: