2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

green oval question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psycho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 22:02    Post subject: green oval question Reply with quote

Mate of mine has a lawn romer disco 200tdi that is an off road only toy.
They need to get it to and from our local pay and play site (KORC) about 7 miles each way, but with it not being taxed or tested it cannot make the trip legaly under its own steam.

Is it safe to be carried on a dolly or will it chew up the gearbox/transfer box/diff ?

Could it be dragged there by a staight bar or would that also cause drive train problems ?
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 22:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1771&sid=80cebaf6f055018fff8c4b242a64087b
Have a read up on this and some other previous posts mate Wink

David ltm47
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

think if its on a dolly it still has to have tax /mot
deffo carnt under its own steam unless theres a mot station on the play & pay site and its booked in lol
psycho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legality part of the procedure is not the question

Will towing it cause the box's or the diff's or other drivetrain part's to be wound up ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its full time 4x4 with a centre diff, At a push you can tow with all 4 wheels on the ground, dont do front lift.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers markymoan thats what i needed to know  thumbup

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tow it on a dolly with the rear prop removed (10mins) but I am sure they need to be taxed, MOT'ed and insured to have a wheel on the road but stand to be corrected and also the dolly would have to be rated to 2.5T and I know most cars would easily pull 2.5T but it's the stopping bit that does it LOL. I have towed 6.5T with my Disco 3 and it pulled it like it wasn't there but stopping was another matter of brown underpants time. LOL
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if a single wheel is on the road it needs to be taxed and have valid MOT and insurance.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tow a car with my A frame, all 4 wheels on the road, without tax or MOT, as its classed as part of the towing vehicle: they are joined together and the car being towed doesn't even have a driver to prosecute! Shocked
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
I can tow a car with my A frame, all 4 wheels on the road, without tax or MOT, as its classed as part of the towing vehicle: they are joined together and the car being towed doesn't even have a driver to prosecute! Shocked

Is that not then classed as an UN braked trailer and should then weigh 850 kgs or less???

David ltm47
Redneckriceburner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always got told that dolly's were a grey area of the law, even asked a copper once and he seemed to be of the opinion that it needs to be under the 750Kg limit to be towed without brakes but unless you kill someone you will get left alone type of comment, so none the wiser. I agree following the letter of the law it needs to be under 750KG as it's unbraked, then if you somehow made it braked it would be up to the maximum towing limit lets say my Volvo it can tow 1800KG max so if I had my Disco 3 (2800KG) on a dolly it would be well over both limits????? The V70 D5 would tow the Disco 3 easy as it is the same engine that's in the 2500KG XC90 but I don't think it would stop that well and if I braked hard I think the dolly would collapse leaving a right old mess of both cars. Never heard of anyone getting done for towing over weight with a dolly and I know a lot who use them up and down motorways!  Shocked  Shocked
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolly or A frame is a trailer but psycho didnt want to know about legal stuff, he just wanted to know about tranny damage  Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Dolly or A frame is a trailer but psycho didnt want to know about legal stuff, he just wanted to know about tranny damage  Wink

Keep you hair on Marky, I know but it's interesting to see what the leagal stance is. How can you damage a transvestite by towing a Discovery??? Or did that slip in by mistake while you were sat in your dress? Anyway Marky I think your nickers are too tight so get some bigger ones and you will feel a lot less stressed!!! Off the subject of cross dressing people do you know the exact legality of a dolly and I am on about the towing type and not the ones you have in your bedroom....LOL
john240758

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoke to local traffic cop was told if on a tow rope needs to be taxed /mot'd
if on a rigid bar etc classed as a trailer does not need to be taxed /mot'd
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckriceburner wrote:
markymoan wrote:

Keep you hair on Marky, I know but it's interesting to see what the leagal stance is. How can you damage a transvestite by towing a Discovery??? Or did that slip in by mistake while you were sat in your dress? Anyway Marky I think your nickers are too tight so get some bigger ones and you will feel a lot less stressed!!! Off the subject of cross dressing people do you know the exact legality of a dolly and I am on about the towing type and not the ones you have in your bedroom....LOL

Sorry Marky shouldn't laugh but  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

David ltm47
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: