4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper 3.1 Injection Pump Timing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yakatar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 0:54    Post subject: Trooper 3.1 Injection Pump Timing Reply with quote

Having just fitted a 3.1 Trooper engine into my 2.8 Frontera (engine died) I had to swap the injection pump as the one that came with the 3.1 engine was dead. Have the necessary adaptor and DTI to measure the fuel pump lift but am a little confused with the factory manual which states

'using a screwdriver jam the waxstat'

The waxstat is the cold start mechanism on the side of the pump but it doesn't say where or which position to jam it in

It is also unclear as to the timing marks on the pulley, there are 2, presuming the 1st one as the pulley is rotated is TDC and the second one is ATDC as the manual states that for North America it is set ATDC and everywhere else TDC

As a starter for 10 I timed it cold, warmed up the engine and then retimed it hot (ish) cos by the time you get the DTI in the pump it has cooled down a little.

Going on my measurements it seems to retard the pump timing as the engine warms up.

TBH I was expecting a little more sparkle from the 3.1, it pulls well enough from low revs, turbo boost comes in early and max's out just before 2000rpm (am beginning to suspect that someone has tweaked the boost compensator as it is running over 5psi when cruising) but doesn't seem to want to rev much over 2500 rpm when under load

Starts on the button hot or cold though

So for the timing, is it set when cold or does the cold start need to be jammed in the hot position for the timing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 0:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push the arm on the timing advance as far as it will go and put a flat blade screwdriver in the gap.You can only move it in one direction  a set amount .

All that does is put the pumps timing where it would be when the engines warmed up .
yakatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, will give it another go
yakatar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think its now sorted, had an hour on it this morning,and after trying out a few things this morning it is certainly reving loads better.

The cold start device (CSD) definitely retards the timing, I followed the suggestion (thanks Gribble) that this needs to be jammed in the hot position against its stop however I struggled to find the stop as the pressure on the spring was huge.  But with a DTI in the pump I put in different sized spacers between the CSD and the lever to see how much it retarded the timing.  

From this I discovered that it seems to stop retarding the pump after abut 8mm of movement, it is definately all over by 10mm and going up to 12mm didn't make any further difference from the 8mm spacer.

So pump was retimed with a 10mm spacer between the pin on the CSD and the lever on the pump.

It now revs loads better and seems to pull really well, not tested it on any hills yet but will do tomorrow.  My test hill is a monster and if it pulls 3rd to the top without dropping any rpm will be well happy
stardog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yakatar I was wondering how much lift do you set the dial to for timing I know this is a old thread but I just changed my pump and set it to 0 degrees before TDC but not sure what to set the lift at TDC with the CSD canceled.
Regards stardog Australia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: