QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ABS Sensors (Again !!)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 23:35    Post subject: ABS Sensors (Again !!) Reply with quote

The subject of ABS sensors (particularly front)  is a regular issue on this forum. The problem is that pretty much any work on the front suspension, wheel bearings, brake discs etc, involves removing the ABS sensor which isn't easy. The actual sensor is fairly fragile with a plastic case which seems to expand over time, so virtually impossible to remove from the hub. It IS possible to undo the cable by removing various metal brackets, but the nuts get rusty and corroded, and will more than likely shear off at the mere sight of a small 10mm spanner.  "Used" replacements are rare because of the difficulty in removing intact, and new ones are an eye-watering £288.00 (inc vat) from Milners and just about everywhere else. Having broken one of mine over last weekend trying to replace a lower ball joint, I remebered a post on this form from last August from Sergi in Poland suggesting that a Mazda part (B25D 43 71 YB) - available for £30.00 inc vat and postage from that well known site - was the same. So I got one and it arrived today. The bad news - it's NOT a direct replacement. The good news - it WILL work with a bit of modification.
The Milner one :
[img][/img]
The Mazda one :

As you might be able to see, the actual sensor is slightly different, the plug is different, and the wire is slightly thinner. (The transparent cap over the end is just for protection and is discarded.)
First job is to remove the (remains of) the old one. If you have previously soaked the securing bolt with WD or similar, it might unscrew - more likely it will shear off. No worry as you won't be using a bolt anyway but - file any remains of the bolt flat to the hub.
Second job - cut off the Mazda connector, and remove the mounting brackets, rubber sleeve and grommet so you just have a sensor and its cable.
The Mazda sensor is fractionally too big to fit the hole in the hub, so carefully scrape off a bit of the plastic until it will fit - it's only a tiny amount.

It will then go into the hole in the hub :

I put a small dab of araldite on it, but probably not necessary. Line it up as in the photo - pretty much the same as the original part except for the position of the mounting hole.
You then have two options. Either route the new cable through the various sleeves and brackets used by the original and solder the "new" wires to the "old" wires very close to the connector. (I tried to dismantle a connector but couldn't see how it came apart - anyone done this ?? This is undoubtedly the best way, but is not as easy as ...........
cut the original wire, and solder the new one to it where it goes along the wishbone.  That's what I did - slit and remove a length of the rubber sleeve, soldered the wires together, insulated the joins with heat-shrink tube, then replaced the "split" rubber tube with a bit of silicon inside.

I finished off with a couple of cable ties to hold it al together (I only had white silicon if you're wondering  Very Happy
It's not the most elegant job in the world, but I just saved £258.00 so can't complain. Now I know it's possible, when I replace the brake discs in about six months time, I'll probably do the job properly and route the "new" cable all the way to the connector.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 23:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ladydriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post - a new sticky I suspect - exactly an issue we have on ours.  Do you have the Mazda part no to work from?
ladydriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

soz -- missed the part number above
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:17    Post subject: Here you go ....... Reply with quote

http://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/New-Mazda-Rear-Left-ABS-Sensor-B25D4372YB-B25D-43-72YB-/180731907191?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a14760c77

Right (Mazda) sensor is the same number except for "71YB" at the end. Doesn't matter which one you get - it's the metal brackets and grommet(which you will chuck away) that determine LH or RH - the sensors are the same for both sides.
handymanat39

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:43    Post subject: Abs lead Reply with quote

Great write up David just ordered one off the bay so will try on saturday if it comes in time.

Andy
handymanat39

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 23:00    Post subject: ABS Lead Reply with quote

David  fitted the mazda lead and the abs light has gone out just need to road test in the morning to make sure.
Good stuff.
Andy
ladydriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40    Post subject: Re: ABS Lead Reply with quote

handymanat39 wrote:
David  fitted the mazda lead and the abs light has gone out just need to road test in the morning to make sure.
Good stuff.
Andy

Did everything work OK Andy?
handymanat39

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 18:25    Post subject: ABS lead Reply with quote

Hi Ladydriver
Fitted as per david said, i had it dig my sensor out after i snapped the bolt off, i did grind the old bolt flat then drilled and tapped the hole to fit a new bolt.
I made the hole in the new sensor bigger because its in the wrong place, cut the wires short and used a waterproof heatshrink.
My abs ight went out after a few seconds, i have only driven up and down our road as no car ins.....been ok.
Andy
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to speak too soon but .......................... it's been over a week since I replaced mine - done about 200 miles or so .............. and the ABS light is still out  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
ladydriver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done the same, this is a great fix and saves a fortune. Now got a new MOT too after a new bottom ball joint.
Ed Halliday

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:18    Post subject: ABS sensors Reply with quote

This is fantastic mate well done! can you solve the TPS syndrome with cheap replacement now please!!

Cheers

Ed
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the TPS off this one to work, but the lower mounting flange will need to be modified to take metric nuts, and (obviously) you'll need Tech2 (v3.7 rev6) to reprogramme the ECU

Ed Halliday

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:41    Post subject: ABS sensors Reply with quote

I had already tried that part, but the waffle sprocket was the wrong size, so i adjusted it with a hammer, it now fits! but no improvement i'm afraid!!

Cheers

Ed
DevonDavid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your's must be the Euro2 spec. If you look underneath, the part number is MAD 1NC H1N A
Easy mistake to make !
Ed Halliday

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:36    Post subject: ABS sensors Reply with quote

Your absolutely correct! but the part no I have is W1ll n0 tp h1t and is made from recycled woks! by the look of it!

Cheers

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: